is kulling unwanted kits more responsible?

Sure, it's management, but is it good managment? Reckon Quixote's thoughts were along the line that, if managed properly in the first place, there is no need to kill kits. It comes down to nothing but sheer convenience.

I think you giving those ferrets a chance to prove themselves and then disposing of them is quite different to knocking newborn kits which will never have a chance to prove themselves. Those four ferrets could have been neither pets nor good workers, and a liability to own. And to live always being obsessed with food to the point of savagery was likely not in their best interests, either.

I'll ask again to folk who cull out their litters- reckon you've ever killed the best worker you've ever bred?

What if the breeder only has room for a certain number of his own kits. For what ever reason cant find appropriate homes for the excess (maybe just a couple of hobs that havnt got homes). The breeder has done the right thing imo by breeding to bring on quality new stock for the future, quality that he could not have bought in for what ever reason (perhaps he has very few ferreting freinds, even less breeding good stuff). Is it wrong to cull the excess at birth rather than just shift them onto any fecker with a few quid wanting a ferret?

IMO i would cull and very well may have to next year when i breed my first litter of ferrets from my 4 year old jill, im only breeding if i cant find kits from a better working jill and ill give any surplus to freinds who i KNOW will be the right homes.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This question will always polarise and cause arguments, it doesn't do us any favours.   It happens and it's happened for years, what a person does with their own stock is their own concern.   Ho

Folk are against us because we kill bunnies.I can't understand the mentality of folk who will happily kill rabbits all day long, but bleat about somebody killing a few new born hobs on welfare grounds

LOOK some do some don't simple as that, it's you who has to make the moral and ethical choice so to hell with anybodies opinion. Personally I only breed every couple of years or so just to replenish m

Honestly I would either hold off on breeding until I was certain of homes or I would suck it up and make room for them, even if it was a bit of a hassle. I wouldn't kill them or shift them on to anyone I was not sure of.

I really don't understand why it's largely the hobs that get knocked, either. A well bred hob will work just as well as a jill...and if they ain't as good as the jills, then the line isn't as good as what the breeder thinks it is.

Connytrapper

No doubt they will all start to post to defend them selfs by saying they only work jills but as i said even if the hobs go to pet homes atleast they have a chance of getting there line back if somthing was to happen.

wullieh would you be prepared if all these posts that say they cull surplus kits sent their kits up to you to rehome? Hyperthetically as nobody has mentioned passing unwanted kits on to rescues on this topic

Y.I.S Leeview

really don't understand why it's largely the hobs that get knocked, either. A well bred hob will work just as well as a jill...and if they ain't as good as the jills, then the line isn't as good as what the breeder thinks it is

i think its more to do with housing than working ability. you can keep several jills together without any problems. but you cant keep several hobs together, which means seperate hutches and more cost and room taken up

Connytrapper

No doubt they will all start to post to defend them selfs by saying they only work jills but as i said even if the hobs go to pet homes atleast they have a chance of getting there line back if somthing was to happen.

wullieh would you be prepared if all these posts that say they cull surplus kits sent their kits up to you to rehome? Hyperthetically as nobody has mentioned passing unwanted kits on to rescues on this topic

Y.I.S Leeview

Leeview if you read back then you will see i said why not ask the local rescue for help.

And i do and will continue to take in unwanted litters, i rehome approx 150 a yr from my rescue the most being 236 back in 2007, and alot were unwanted kits.

Connytrapper

Y.I.S Leeview

Leeview if you read back then you will see i said why not ask the local rescue for help.

And i do and will continue to take in unwanted litters, i rehome approx 150 a yr from my rescue the most being 236 back in 2007, and alot were unwanted kits.

Good on you wullieh :notworthy: ,were they from working or pet breeders? Does your rescue neuter ferrets before rehoming as a lot do?

Y.I.S Leeview

Connytrapper

Y.I.S Leeview

Good on you wullieh :notworthy: ,were they from working or pet breeders? Does your rescue neuter ferrets before rehoming as a lot do?

Y.I.S Leeview

The ferrets i take in are from both working and pet owners, and no i do not neuter as i think this is down to the owner, as i know some folk will want to breed in the future, (this i have no probs with) as long as they try there best to rehome there kits and breed with a bit of sence ie breed one and not 4 or 5 jills.

Connytrapper

Y.I.S Leeview

Y.I.S Leeview

The ferrets i take in are from both working and pet owners, and no i do not neuter as i think this is down to the owner, as i know some folk will want to breed in the future, (this i have no probs with) as long as they try there best to rehome there kits and breed with a bit of sence ie breed one and not 4 or 5 jills.

not neutering kind of defeats the object :laugh: not knocking you for taking in & finding homes but in reality your doing nothing to stop the reproduction of more ferrets from the very ones you home :thumbs:

Connytrapper

Y.I.S Leeview

Y.I.S Leeview

not neutering kind of defeats the object :laugh: not knocking you for taking in & finding homes but in reality your doing nothing to stop the reproduction of more ferrets from the very ones you home :thumbs:

Your right and i agree with you kay but no vet was willing to give a discount on the price and at approx £48 for a hob and £60 for a jill and the amount that come in i wwould never be able to fund this and would end up having to turn away ferrets that are in need, remember im in scotland and there is now 3 rescues to cover the whole of scotland but for yrs there has only been the 2 and myself being the buisiest.

is it such a bad thing to have a person on a site like this that will pass on knowledge to others and share there views on ferrets, your still the old school mate and need to get a grip if you think you have that knowledge to share then batter in but i recon what you now about ferrets you could write on a stamp. :feck:

Whats wrong with old school, its worked for generations - its the new school thats fecked the whole hunting game right up.

FTB

really don't understand why it's largely the hobs that get knocked, either. A well bred hob will work just as well as a jill...and if they ain't as good as the jills, then the line isn't as good as what the breeder thinks it is

i think its more to do with housing than working ability. you can keep several jills together without any problems. but you cant keep several hobs together, which means seperate hutches and more cost and room taken up

That's not strictly true- I've had plenty of hob live together. They don't scrap once they've had their balls off. So if people aren't completely tight, it's quite possible to make it work. :whistling:

That being said, I had a jill until recently who would never live with any ferret save for one sibling. She was a problematic little cow. :laugh:

and you wonder why there are so many rescue ferrets.

I CULL !!! there i said it :) i didnt last year mind but i will this year, i will keep one for myself and cull the rest. i like my workers and will breed what and cull what i want.

and plus i hate to see a jill get dragged down by the kits.

This is a question thats always going to piss people off!

I've bred working ferrets for 30 years, and have never culled. Would you breed a litter of pups and cull the surplus? I very much doubt it. So why should it be different with ferrets?

IMO There is NO reason why in this day and age, given the options we have for FREE ADVERTISING that ANY animal should be culled. Surley its harder work to sift through a litter and cull weaklings and runts, than it is to sit at a computer and advertise them.

yes dogs get the same treatment from working stock