is kulling unwanted kits more responsible?

its good to hear peoples veiws thanks.

and it seems i live in the dark ages then. im no hipocriteto myself, me choping a rabbit on the necks is no diffrent to nutting blind and unaware ferret kits and id do both. i may be old fashioned but all my animals are worth fedding and breeding and thats how breedings been done for 1000s of years. theres a lot of people on here how are only one step away from being in the anti docing gang.

Yes and 1000's of years ago people also thought the world was flat and they were idiots also.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This question will always polarise and cause arguments, it doesn't do us any favours.   It happens and it's happened for years, what a person does with their own stock is their own concern.   Ho

Folk are against us because we kill bunnies.I can't understand the mentality of folk who will happily kill rabbits all day long, but bleat about somebody killing a few new born hobs on welfare grounds

LOOK some do some don't simple as that, it's you who has to make the moral and ethical choice so to hell with anybodies opinion. Personally I only breed every couple of years or so just to replenish m

This question will always polarise and cause arguments, it doesn't do us any favours.

It happens and it's happened for years, what a person does with their own stock is their own concern.

However, it does grate a little when I read comments from so called hunters calling other hunters all the b*****ds under the sun for saying they'd cull their excess stock. If you're going to do it, as long as it's done it quickly and respectfully, as you would with your quarry I don't see a problem.

Each to their own.

• Like 2

with so many litters of ferrets offered for sale should you just keep what you need?

iv got two jills that ill breed from soon iv breed ferrets before and know you never make money from them. i only keep jills i need a few for next year myself and a couple of freinds have asked for two jills ill charge tenner each just to cover costs.

i think ill kull all hobs at birth as i think its better in the long run. does any one else carry out this practice?

So you plan to have a kid but your wife has twins what would you do? just get rid of one, didn't think so so why is an animal any differant.

this practise of killing is crap there is no need for it at all if you choose to breed then you should be prepaired to raise the kits until you find homes for them all yes you might have to keep them untill they ar about 6 mths old but if you advertise them then im sure even if it is to a pet owner you will find a home for them, and if having real problems and all has been tried then contact a rescue centre and learn that you dont need to breed, and if you do decide to then have enough homes lined up reguardless of what sex. :o

far too many people like you treating animals like humans,

they are fecking animals, now that dont mean to say ye can be cruel to them

but please stop treating them like humans, they aint :icon_eek:

spot on pal ,thats the difference between animal rights and animal welfare ,animal rights means that animals need to have the same rights as humans making us equal when we are not

This question will always polarise and cause arguments, it doesn't do us any favours.

It happens and it's happened for years, what a person does with their own stock is their own concern.

However, it does grate a little when I read comments from so called hunters calling other hunters all the b*****ds under the sun for saying they'd cull their excess stock. If you're going to do it, as long as it's done it quickly and respectfully, as you would with your quarry I don't see a problem.

Each to their own.

Good comment matey :thumbs:

My take on it is only breed what you need. If you dont need then dont breed.

This year for the second season i'll not be breeding as i'm probs overgunned. (Shame, could probs move every ferret i breed and more to responsible owners who work them as well.)

Anything bred should get the chance to prove its working abilty in the field, if it's useless, then i have no problems with anybody culling the animals that nature would have culled anyway. (Its a better end than getting passed pillar to post.)

One problem, for all the none breeding i'm doing, there will be plenty out there with little experience, or don't work there animals often enough to know if its worth breeding from who will be be pumping shite out there.

What will there be out there to breed from in the future if the better working animals never get bred and every Tom Dick and Harry breeds the passed on rubbish that wasn't culled?

Just my take on things. (Do like the work of rescues though, they make sure the animals cannot breed again!) ;)

My take on it is only breed what you need. If you dont need then dont breed.

This year for the second season i'll not be breeding as i'm probs overgunned. (Shame, could probs move every ferret i breed and more to responsible owners who work them as well.)

Anything bred should get the chance to prove its working abilty in the field, if it's useless, then i have no problems with anybody culling the animals that nature would have culled anyway. (Its a better end than getting passed pillar to post.)

One problem, for all the none breeding i'm doing, there will be plenty out there with little experience, or don't work there animals often enough to know if its worth breeding from who will be be pumping shite out there.

What will there be out there to breed from in the future if the better working animals never get bred and every Tom Dick and Harry breeds the passed on rubbish that wasn't culled?

Just my take on things. (Do like the work of rescues though, they make sure the animals cannot breed again!) ;)

:thumbs:

Each to their own.

Well said maltenby.thumbs.gif

Lets get one thing straight here, like it or not i do not give a toss, if everyone on this forum was to breed for what they needed and even tried to find some homes for any surplus stock before the breeding or just after the birth even, then if they were Resposable and bred one ferret a year witch should be enough for anyone then any extras should find homes no problem,time to be honest with our own selfs and realise that ferrets are becoming much more popular as pets and now out rate the working homes by prob about 7 to 1 looking at my records of running the rescue, i think ferrets going to pet homes can and will only do ferrets the world of good as it raises peoples awarness that they not the smelly little thing that bite,

and another point is you say that it is to keep a good solid line going, well what would happen if some person was to nick your ferrets or they all died from somthing real bad, look at it with veiw if even you were to rehome the hobs to pet homes you could keep a contanct number to get intouch if you ever needed to try rebuild your great line back up. as not all pet owners will neuter them.

and any person who just breeds all there jills is mad espec if they got a good few, and i know people who do this.

you still drivellin on????

Nice response to someone who's made a bit of an effort with their post mate :thumbdown:

My view is, if you're going to keep an animal that needs to be carefully-managed, then you need to do just that! 'Manage' them. If you can't be arsed, or just have the view that you'll cull out the ones you don't want or need, then you shouldn't be keeping them in the first place..............why not just tag along & carry the bag of someone who really knows & cares about the animals they choose to keep? It's your choice to keep ferrets, & if you can't be bothered to give them the respect, attention & concern they necessarily deserve then you'd probably be better off with a few Mk6's if you just want rabbit-killing machines

Lets get one thing straight here, like it or not i do not give a toss, if everyone on this forum was to breed for what they needed and even tried to find some homes for any surplus stock before the breeding or just after the birth even, then if they were Resposable and bred one ferret a year witch should be enough for anyone then any extras should find homes no problem,time to be honest with our own selfs and realise that ferrets are becoming much more popular as pets and now out rate the working homes by prob about 7 to 1 looking at my records of running the rescue, i think ferrets going to pet homes can and will only do ferrets the world of good as it raises peoples awarness that they not the smelly little thing that bite,

and another point is you say that it is to keep a good solid line going, well what would happen if some person was to nick your ferrets or they all died from somthing real bad, look at it with veiw if even you were to rehome the hobs to pet homes you could keep a contanct number to get intouch if you ever needed to try rebuild your great line back up. as not all pet owners will neuter them.

and any person who just breeds all there jills is mad espec if they got a good few, and i know people who do this.

come on oh wise 1, tell me how you come tae the conclusion that the pet ferrets out number working ferrets by 7 to 1 :notworthy:

with me being around ferrets for more years than i can remember and speaking to people when i attend gamefairs doing ferret pr and when any person gets a ferret from myself i dont mind if they are for working as folk know me all over and know i will rehome to working homes unlike some other rescues, i have any person rehome a ferret fill in a form and looking at my detailed records i have on the comp it shows quite clearly that mostare for pet only homes, look at it this way in a five mile radius i know of about 30 folk who now own ferret and i only know of 4 that work them .

and im now off my soap box on this one but sure there be other reasons for me to veiw my concerns mate.

an here we have another nosy fecker.......

read the rest of his posts, he jumped doon my throat for voicing an opinion

'nother beer, Doo Doo? Or shall I just shut up & let you drivel on for another few posts, mate?

you do it your way an ill do it mine...

Fair enough. Crack on mate :thumbs: Don't pay any attention at all to those of us that have a passing regard to the animals we choose to keep

where have i said that i kull ferrets, i havent, i just stated that its sometimes the better option

Given that you can't even properly spell the 'option', perhaps it's better that you just keep quiet about it?

As I said earlier, if you're not prepared to put in the effort to manage an animal that's well-known to be prolific in its breeding, you really should only be looking to keep castrated hobs & spayed jills. And if you ain't prepared to hand over the readies to the vet, either be well-prepared in advance, or just don't bother & get yourself a .22 FAC instead :thumbs:

come on oh wise 1, tell me how you come tae the conclusion that the pet ferrets out number working ferrets by 7 to 1 :notworthy:

with me being around ferrets for more years than i can remember and speaking to people when i attend gamefairs doing ferret pr and when any person gets a ferret from myself i dont mind if they are for working as folk know me all over and know i will rehome to working homes unlike some other rescues, i have any person rehome a ferret fill in a form and looking at my detailed records i have on the comp it shows quite clearly that mostare for pet only homes, look at it this way in a five mile radius i know of about 30 folk who now own ferret and i only know of 4 that work them .

and im now off my soap box on this one but sure there be other reasons for me to veiw my concerns mate.

an all because 30 folk who live within a 5 mile radius of a ferret rescue have pet ferrets that equates to a 7 to 1 diffrence in the number of pet ferrets to workers, in britain lol :notworthy:

what a fecking guy :thumbs:

i wont be on this thread again, so :bye:

Titty doo

if you going to try noise me up then at least republish the full story i said i do a lot and i mean alot of game fairs doing pr and lets be honest here if any person needs help i will give full help if i can based on Knowledge, you are yust a :wankerzo4: that prob know very little about ferrets and thinks they know alot .... but then again they dont cost anything so why give a F**k

My view is, if you're going to keep an animal that needs to be carefully-managed, then you need to do just that! 'Manage' them. If you can't be arsed, or just have the view that you'll cull out the ones you don't want or need, then you shouldn't be keeping them in the first place.............

So culling your excess kits doesn't come under stock management then? :hmm:

I assume you have no problem with ending the life of your quarry in a respectful way, yet clearly have a problem with someone that can do the same with a new born ferret.

I've only had to PTS 4 ferrets, they were from a neglected litter I took on that was fed infrequently and were violent at mealtimes. I tried for about 4-5 weeks to feed them up and get them hand tame, but all that happened was they got stronger and more viscous. I had kits from my own litter, which I had kept back (rehomed the rest) that I was trying to get used to handling, and in the end enough was enough.

It upset me a great deal to have to do what I did, but in the end I could see no other option.

Sure, it's management, but is it good managment? Reckon Quixote's thoughts were along the line that, if managed properly in the first place, there is no need to kill kits. It comes down to nothing but sheer convenience.

I think you giving those ferrets a chance to prove themselves and then disposing of them is quite different to knocking newborn kits which will never have a chance to prove themselves. Those four ferrets could have been neither pets nor good workers, and a liability to own. And to live always being obsessed with food to the point of savagery was likely not in their best interests, either.

I'll ask again to folk who cull out their litters- reckon you've ever killed the best worker you've ever bred?

Connytrapper

No doubt they will all start to post to defend them selfs by saying they only work jills but as i said even if the hobs go to pet homes atleast they have a chance of getting there line back if somthing was to happen.