Lurcher cut feet up

I always check my dogs feet after a nights lamping and after certain runs. Just wondering if anyone has experienced pieces of flint cutting there lurchers feet. and what they do about it. Ran my lurcher last night across some fields that obviously had some flint in it. the flint i believe has sliced straight through the skin between the pads. i could see what the vets would be able to do in this small area.. so i cleaned it, but a warm poulice on and then dry bandage it. with regular cleaning. one cut has healed but think the bigger one will take some time..

Does anyone else have any advise or experience on this

kind regards

james

Flints a b*****d! It seems to me youve been lucky, flint can and does cut like a razor especially when a lurcher hits it at 30 plus miles an hour. It can easily go straight through tendons and if it does that its game over. 1st clean only i use hydrogen peroxide. Only for the first clean though cos after that all it does is open the wound up again. Then dry it and dab some sudocrem onto it and bandage it. 2nd clean onwards i use tea tree oil then sudocrem and bandage. Bad cuts can be superglued or stapled (i wouldnt want to use staples on a pad though!) but if your not totally confident in your abilities here its best to get the vet to do it.

Now this is not having a go at the poster, or anyone else; but if your dog has an injury and you are not sure what to do..... don't ask on here...... GET IT TO A VET !! Yes, there are pleanty of people on here who have vast experience with dogs, but they can't see the injury, so don't know how to treat it correctly ! Do the dog, and youself, a favour, and take it to a vet if you are worried.

Cheers.

Chartpolski, i agree with what you say, i have confidence in what im doing and believe that my method is working. I only posted to see if others have had experience of such damage and any advise. Just to see how others have dealt with such an injury..i do believe though that if you dont know what or doing or are not confident than a vet should be seen as it is not fair on the dog..

kind regards

james

i think the best advice that can be given is "dont run your dog on flinty ground" i know it cant allways be helped but if you have got permission to be there! you should go round in the day and check for dangers and things you might not be able to see during the night!! :thumbs:

Chartpolski, i agree with what you say, i have confidence in what im doing and believe that my method is working. I only posted to see if others have had experience of such damage and any advise. Just to see how others have dealt with such an injury..i do believe though that if you dont know what or doing or are not confident than a vet should be seen as it is not fair on the dog..

kind regards

james

Good, hope the dog makes a full recovery :thumbs:

Cheers.

my bitch cut her pad quite badly around 4 weeks ago and I used cut heal on it and layed her up, i think it helped a bit after 2 weeks I took her out and she reopened the wound as it was obviously wasnt quite healed so I superglued it and took her out for a run about a week later she was fine on it until she followed big ears into a filed that had more flint than dirt, when she came back the original cut was fine but she had a couple of new smaller ones so I tried using some TCP plaster spray after washing with salt water and her feet are tip top after a week, so I would suggest TCP spray Plaster.

Cheers for all the replies, the cut i believed was healing up. but would then just reopen. so i took him to the vets in the end as the longer it took to heal the more likely i thought it would become infected. vets have open cut up, cleaned etc and stitched it. Superglue wouldnt work as well as its not strong enough.

Juts goes to show no matter how much experience we have with injuries etc.. cant always be treated at home. I made the right decision to take him to the vets after the healing and then opening. its cost me near on £300 but thats nothing in my eyes. As i would rather have a sound dog thats in good health.

i dont regret not taking him in the first place as atleast i gaveit chance to heal.. so people may not agree with this.. but you would be more gutted spending all that money if it would of healed on its own..

main thing now is that the dog is sorted hopefully if stitches are all ok.

I advise anyone that has a lurcher if you not got massive bank balance is to insure your dog as you never know when you will need it. and that if you have any doubt about somethin wrong with your dog take it straight to the vets.

regards

james

will keep you informed on how it goes

and no silly comments slagging me off, i know some people cant resist.

"I advise anyone that has a lurcher if you not got massive bank balance is to insure your dog as you never know when you will need it. and that if you have any doubt about somethin wrong with your dog take it straight to the vets."

I think thats good advice for ANYONE with ANY type of dog mate. And i doubt anyone will slag you off, you did the right thing. If youve got the funds and your dogs not well or injured thern the vets is the best option. Without the funds you need the "self help" method or if desperate stitch the vets up by getting it done and THEN explaining you have no money but you will pay asap.