pickaxe's chaz

No offence Hagen but i have spent a lot of time breeding the best with the best and i have had great results in the past far exceeding your spec of two years only today seeing an 18 month old hold her own with game more than twice her weight for over an hour and a half dont mean to rubbish your idea but you wont be changing my mind any time soon :thumbdown:

My experiences and my knowledge is not from hunting dogs, it's from APBTs, but I can't believe that there is a very big difference.

Dont fool yourself mate, there is a world of difference in the two. :wallbash::wallbash: And when you attempt to produce true worker/hunters you will discover this for yourself. The APBT was bred to fight or finishing ability which DOES NOT HAVE SHITE TO DO WITH HUNTING TRAITS!! It is exactly this train of thought that is killing the true working terrier. Also explains why there is so few terriers that will actually complete the task the type was originated for. I can say one thing for sure a pedigree WILL NOT fecking work! Breeding workers guarantees that working traits are still in tact, and, assures that the sire and dam of the breeding are worthy of even being fecking bred to begin with. Working Terriers should be bred for WORK and bred only due displaying outstanding WORKING ABILITY!!! Not having a go at you or anyone that would rather breed for pedigrees or bake cakes. I just feel with all my heart some should just stay in the kitchen bakeing cakes and leave the breeding to the men who actually work their terriers and breed for working traits and working traits only! All the best mate, just my take on breeding workers. :whistling:

• Like 1

Still no answer about who is Grom/Tom himself, and what's the breeding behind him.

I read posts regularly on different sites where somebody claims the dog has a fake ped, but nobody can say the truth about.

I had an old bitch who is one of the best earthdog I've ever seen, ugly as hell but her work makes her beautyful. I heard many and more tales about her origin, and met at least 3 different man who claimed HE's bred that bitch out of his own stud. Most of the studs were younger than the bitch herself, cause she was microchipped when left Belgium, her origin country. None of them could show me any littermates of the bitch, also couldn't give any info about them, so everybody can imagine how many truth were in their claims.

This story with Grom/Tom is a bit similar for me.

I used Grom/Tom as stud once, got only 1 bitch pup who is 16 months now. Good sized, promising bitch, that's all what I can say about her till next winter, and I keep his grandson who did enough good work for me on fox, badger and wildboar. That's what counts

No offence Hagen but i have spent a lot of time breeding the best with the best and i have had great results in the past far exceeding your spec of two years only today seeing an 18 month old hold her own with game more than twice her weight for over an hour and a half dont mean to rubbish your idea but you wont be changing my mind any time soon :thumbdown:

My experiences and my knowledge is not from hunting dogs, it's from APBTs, but I can't believe that there is a very big difference.

Dont fool yourself mate, there is a world of difference in the two. :wallbash::wallbash: And when you attempt to produce true worker/hunters you will discover this for yourself. The APBT was bred to fight or finishing ability which DOES NOT HAVE SHITE TO DO WITH HUNTING TRAITS!! It is exactly this train of thought that is killing the true working terrier. Also explains why there is so few terriers that will actually complete the task the type was originated for. I can say one thing for sure a pedigree WILL NOT fecking work! Breeding workers guarantees that working traits are still in tact, and, assures that the sire and dam of the breeding are worthy of even being fecking bred to begin with. Working Terriers should be bred for WORK and bred only due displaying outstanding WORKING ABILITY!!! Not having a go at you or anyone that would rather breed for pedigrees or bake cakes. I just feel with all my heart some should just stay in the kitchen bakeing cakes and leave the breeding to the men who actually work their terriers and breed for working traits and working traits only! All the best mate, just my take on breeding workers. :whistling:

I know that there's a difference between the breeds, and that they need different abilities.

I was talking about genetics and breeding-rules, to get what I want in the breed.

Some individuals give some abilities very dominant to their offspring, and if you know it, it's much easier for you to know which dogs you have to mate.

I didn't want to say that you only need the pedigree, ...of course the dogs have to prove by work. I wanted to say that the pedigree can give you good informations about the abilities of the ancestors and who of them gave it dominant to his offspring.

An exsample: If you have a dog who is game to the bone, and his ancestors were it, too, but he lacks finding, you could be sure if you mate him to a female with the same abilities, the offspring will be very game, but they will lack finding. So it's better to mate him to a female with good finding abilities. Then you can be sure that most/all of the offspring is game, and some of them will be good finder. ...And nearly all of them will produce the dominant gameness.

There are not many dogs who have all what you want and a lot less of them are good producers.

Sometimes it is better to use a dog for breeding who lacks something but give other abilities dominant to his offspring, than to use a dog who have all but can't give it to the next generation.

...And that's the reason why I have said "there is no big difference between the breeds". The breeding-rules are the same, ...only the abilities changes.

Hope I will be not misunderstood. Not easy to find the right words in a foreign language.

Still no answer about who is Grom/Tom himself, and what's the breeding behind him.

I read posts regularly on different sites where somebody claims the dog has a fake ped, but nobody can say the truth about.

I had an old bitch who is one of the best earthdog I've ever seen, ugly as hell but her work makes her beautyful. I heard many and more tales about her origin, and met at least 3 different man who claimed HE's bred that bitch out of his own stud. Most of the studs were younger than the bitch herself, cause she was microchipped when left Belgium, her origin country. None of them could show me any littermates of the bitch, also couldn't give any info about them, so everybody can imagine how many truth were in their claims.

I used Grom/Tom as stud once, got only 1 bitch pup who is 16 months now. Good sized, promising bitch, that's all what I can say about her till next winter, and I keep his grandson who did enough good work for me on fox, badger and wildboar. That's what counts

Grom/Tom is Chaz x Tilly 100%.

Guest busterdog

You can still breed from within a pedigree or line "and" breed best to best worker.

Grom/Tom is Chaz x Tilly 100%.

Misunderstood me mate, I believe Pickaxe's/Glyn's claiming about Grom.

I tried to ask from the 'über-clever' guy's opinion about, who cast doubt on his origin.

I know that there's a difference between the breeds, and that they need different abilities.

I was talking about genetics and breeding-rules, to get what I want in the breed.

Some individuals give some abilities very dominant to their offspring, and if you know it, it's much easier for you to know which dogs you have to mate.

I didn't want to say that you only need the pedigree, ...of course the dogs have to prove by work. I wanted to say that the pedigree can give you good informations about the abilities of the ancestors and who of them gave it dominant to his offspring.

An exsample: If you have a dog who is game to the bone, and his ancestors were it, too, but he lacks finding, you could be sure if you mate him to a female with the same abilities, the offspring will be very game, but they will lack finding. So it's better to mate him to a female with good finding abilities. Then you can be sure that most/all of the offspring is game, and some of them will be good finder. ...And nearly all of them will produce the dominant gameness.

There are not many dogs who have all what you want and a lot less of them are good producers.

Sometimes it is better to use a dog for breeding who lacks something but give other abilities dominant to his offspring, than to use a dog who have all but can't give it to the next generation.

...And that's the reason why I have said "there is no big difference between the breeds". The breeding-rules are the same, ...only the abilities changes.

Hope I will be not misunderstood. Not easy to find the right words in a foreign language.

I sympathise with you, not easy to explain what you want to say exactly.

It does seem to me though, that you are breeding these dogs without actually hunting them at all or much. ie you are not digging to your terriers before actually producing litters. So all the talk of pedigrees & theory has little value. Would be best to hunt the dogs hard. & if you need more dogs to hunt then consider breeding or buying in. Rather than breed on the weight/strength of pedigree and theory. Best of luck.

@ GD Waz

You are right, I need more experiences in earthwork.

I am allways searching for work, but I haven't found enough till now.

I have used my bulldogs on wild boar over many years, but not proffessional and often.

I am still in progress and have to learn more about earthwork.

The reason why I write about breeding is because of my knowledge in Bulldog breeding since 1982.

Maybe I am wrong with my opinions about breeding, but till now I don't think so.

...Time will tell.

Dont fool yourself mate, there is a world of difference in the two. :wallbash::wallbash: And when you attempt to produce true worker/hunters you will discover this for yourself. The APBT was bred to fight or finishing ability which DOES NOT HAVE SHITE TO DO WITH HUNTING TRAITS!! It is exactly this train of thought that is killing the true working terrier.

Cant agree with you there grafterman-genetics is genetics is genetics-whether its pitbulls or pigeons or racehorses or heads of cabbage.What if you had a good worker that was out of a heap of shite of a bitch and you bred it to another good worker of similar lineage?? I GUARANTEE YOU MOST OF THE LITTER WOULD PROBABLY BE USELESS..There are certain patterns in pedigrees that appear over and over again in successful (performers and producers)greyhounds,pitbulls,racehorses and so on..O.k plenty of animals bred completely differently have also been successful but it has to be more than a coincidence.