solid fuel heating any info

gettin pissed off with gas bills .. i`ve got a couple of coal fires and always used to run a wood burner but my main heating is gas .. so to go solid fuel will, i be able to keep my old rads, tank ?or is it better to start from scratch ? what i`m after is any info on installing a full solid fuel heating system .. cost and the general nut n bolts of it cooking heating water in the summer running costs etc .. my old gas boilers on its way out i`ve been quoted between 2 n half to 4 grand just for a boiler and refluing it wallbash.gif so solid fuel system may be a better option ??? thanks in advance thumbs.gif

Edited by the_stig

gettin pissed off with gas bills .. i`ve got a couple of coal fires and always used to run a wood burner but my main heating is gas .. so to go solid fuel will, i be able to keep my old rads, tank ?or is it better to start from scratch ? what i`m after is any info on installing a full solid fuel heating system .. cost and the general nut n bolts of it cooking heating water in the summer running costs etc .. my old gas boilers on its way out i`ve been quoted between 2 n half to 4 grand just for a boiler and refluing it wallbash.gif so solid fuel system may be a better option ??? thanks in advance thumbs.gif

Im sure that there is a grant available at the moment for replacing old boilers.

Edited by MISTY

Im sure that there is a grant available at the moment for replacing old boilers.

Thats great news mate where do I apply?

I just got the 'Cheryl Cole text' from the missus :whistling:

Hi you can run a woodburner as well as your gas boiler back to an open vented cylinder, the circulating pump is wired to the cylinder stat so when cylinder is up to temp it operates pump and sends round heating circuit, you could use your exsisting rads and heating circuit pipework, hotwater is fed from cold water storage tank as before hope this helps

Wish i was closer mate i'd fit a top of the range (A rated) combi boiler for less than 2 grand! i've just fitted a solid fuel rayburn in my brother-in-laws house it's only been in a few months and he's regreting switching from oil because once you got solid fuel you got no control over it i.e. timing etc. Maybe worth looking into keeping the gas and having solid fuel linked in so it's switchable between the 2. It's a bit more complicatd but can be done. As for starting from scratch theres no need your old radiators and tanks should be fine. If you do decide to go solid fuel then you can always fit an imersion heater to the cylinder for the summer months when you don't want to light the boiler. Hope this helps mate. I'm in the process of fitting a log burner in my own house just so that next year i can hopefully cut down on the gas bills. Price of gas is going up and up and yet so are they profits? don't make sense the robbing barstewards. Atb Kristian.

P.s. see if you can find a local plumber and ask him to do it on a obble as you'll get it done for about £1400 - £2000 (combi boiler) good luck whatever you decide. :thumbs:

The problem with solid fuel is that you have to have it fired up even in the Summer for hot water, when you would much prefer your heating off, you would be better fitting a solid fuel stove, and leave your gas central heating alone, that way you'll have the best of both worlds ;)

get a multi burner (coal and logs) and if you got a place to cut logs it wont cost you a penney just petrol and oil for a chainsaw and about 15 quids worth of petrol should cut you a winter of logs, get a few bags of coal and when its really cold chuck a half bucket of coal in and a few damp logs on top and turn down the damper, it should fire up in the morning when you get up and warm your place all night

Have you looked at other options?Solar water heating could be the answer but try to do it yourself you will save thousands,it's cleaner than burning etc,

Higgins