Brace yesterday

Out yesterday morning ,first light to a place i recently shot a fox doing some damage .I figured the farmer owed me in the shape of a doe or two :thumbs: .

Went straight to the usual spot that holds but nothing so a slow stalk of the boundary ,glassing very often .Spotted a brace of does along the railway fence that appeared to have been spooked by something behind them as they continuously looked over their shoulders .Anyway, this worked to my advantage as they were headed slowly my way and i had time to get staedy on the bipod .The ground was a bit undulating here and being lead down ,one minute they were safe ,the next skylined .

The front doe doe stopped to have a nervous bite of grass like they do and that was when i took through the chest ,dead on the spot .The other ran back from where she came and through a hedge .They were two mature does but something told me she'd be back so i stayed put out of sight on the edge of some long grass .Couple of minutes went by and sure enough she came trotting through the hedge sniffing the grass at intervals along the route they both had taken earlier .

She never got quite as far as i took her at maybe 160 yards .Shot was a bit high and far back but she died on the spot too .The other was nearer 120.The first was an old doe with raised pedicles and bearing twins which were maybe 6inches long .The second was a fine specimen bearing just a single foetus.

No roe sack so a hard drag to the top .

Picture028-2.jpg

Picture029-2.jpg

Picture031-1.jpg

Edited by foxdropper
  • Like 1

Wont be putting two in that sack ever again :whistling: .

Tally so far this year -28

Well done FD, you are having a good year. Do you process all the meat yourself?

I will admit i was impressed with that roe sack of yours, are you still pleased with it? Is the back of it padded?

I have your picture, the one where you are explaining how many roe you carried in sign language, saved on my computer........ It makes me smile every time I look at it ;)

ft

Wont be putting two in that sack ever again :whistling: .

Tally so far this year -28

Well done FD, you are having a good year. Do you process all the meat yourself?

I will admit i was impressed with that roe sack of yours, are you still pleased with it? Is the back of it padded?

I have your picture, the one where you are explaining how many roe you carried in sign language, saved on my computer........ It makes me smile every time I look at it ;)

ft

Most goes to the dealer mate .Sack is padded at the straps and sits well with just the one in.Glad to see someone else other than Martin gets some enjoyment out of me struggling :D:D

I had an old doe on weds with raised pedicles as well. I saw her last week but it was just a head poking out from behind a tree so I convinced myself it was a young buck until she turned round to walk into the undergrowth. She was in exactly the same place the other day, she was scouring and during the gralloch her mediastinals were slightly granulated but otherwise she wass ok.

Most goes to the dealer mate .Sack is padded at the straps and sits well with just the one in.Glad to see someone else other than Martin gets some enjoyment out of me struggling :D:D

FD, I only ask because I am more and more coming to the conclusion that I will have to have a Deer Sack. At the moment I am using a deer carcass tray with rope loop attatched to drag deer back to my vehicle. But I think a sack is a better option. There is member on another site who makes good looking "sika" sacks and I am tempted by them, but I was and am, impressed with your Kammo one.

I will think of you on your long trek, two up, as I am having my heart "stress tested" tomorrow morning. I think yours must be fine :thumbs:

ft

You mean your going to have a fallow on your back mate or do you have roe too!

fd, I have mainly fallow, some roe and a few munties on the golf course, and roe and munties on my other deer permissions. I have yet to get to grips with the muntjac and have only had one so far.

Roe are becoming more and more common around here. We first moved here in 1977 and there were no roe at all then, just fallow. I saw my first Worcs muntjac in 1984 and my first Worcs roe in 1999.

The yearling fallow doe I had this morning weighed 46lbs van weight, no problems carrying that in a sack. It might be a bit different with a big buck though :blink:

ft

• 4 weeks later...