• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

right lads and lasses after reading this thread i decided with the aid of a joiner to have ago at making my own,heres a few pics          

Found my MAFF Blue Prints!   Click the picture below. Let it load up. Then, bottom right, hit the Expand button. It'll blow up to A4 size and ye can read it easier or even Print it off directly.  

like this

Posted Images

Hairyface,

That looks like the 'Rolls Royce' version of the ladder trap - mine were never constructed to quite that standard of workmanship :whistle:

Dont forget to weatherproof that softwood or it will only last you a few years and it would be a shame to see that hard work go to waste. If you brush paint the wire mesh with matt black paint it will 'disappear' too ;) To hold the jackdaws you will need the curtains of wire mesh to hang down from the ladder's long edges otherwise they will fly back out again.

Let's see it at work now - keep us posted please

OTC

now the joiner couldnt wait to bait around it for a few days so he baited it up the next morning a actually caught 7birds a few jacks/rooks and 2 magpuies but unfortunately they all got out, the gaps between the rungs were 7inch apart by 12inch, so with a little advise from johnb we moved the rungs closer and fitted some extra mesh on either end of the ladder covering another 2 gaps at each end(making it only possible to get in thru 3 holes in the middle of the ladder), we then ran a bit of lat longways under neath the ladder, so the holes now measure 6inch by 12 inch but with us putting that extra lat underneath its actually,6holes roughly measuring 6 by 5.

dsc00367yh0.jpg

dsc00368di9.jpg

we set the trap in a location we thought was best, and baited it for a week, but we were baiting around the trap,then after a week we baited the trap itself(without the ladder fitted) for 5 days allowing the crow to go in and out at will and getting used to going in then on thursday night after darkness had fell we baited it up with bread/barley and even some leftover kabab meat and we fitted the ladder and on friday afternoon this is what greeted me

dscf0216yv6.jpg

dscf0217na2.jpg

altogether there was 42 birds in about 10 rooks 5 crow and the rest jacks,just to add they were all taken too a different area and let off unharmed :yes::laugh:

I asked HF to add his trap to this post because I think some interesting things came out on the journey from original design to final trap.

After the first build the trap was catching, but after a short period the birds were getting out. Vertical plywood baffles were added 'hanging down' from the ladder but that didn't fix it. One of the things we spotted from the photos was that although there was a 15" section blocked at each end of the ladder they were blocked completely by plywood rather than by wire mesh. This meant that the the first gap that the bird perched on the side could see. was an actual exit.

By replacing this plywood with wire my theory is that the birds can't distiguish between the ladder holes and the mesh section so don't make the effort to get to the middle - just try and get through by the edge. Coupled with the smaller holes this seems to have done the trick.

Interestingly the high points on this trap are much shorter than the tradiational design where the ladder is almost in the centre of the end panels. Once the ladder was fixed this does not seem to be important.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My photos from earlier in the thread seem to have disappeared. I hope they help others designing traps. re: smaller version, i had a smaller version running this year, got about 120 corvids in week of operation (bottom photo), about a third what i got in the bigger trap,(ran last year-top photo) but so many other variables difficult to say whether it was a reason or coincidence. Mostly rooks this year but think due to proportions visiting site.

post-1944-1184971173_thumb.jpg

post-1944-1184971185_thumb.jpg

Edited by daunker
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
they're absolutely deadly on jackdaws. I took about 300 and a dozen rooks, over 4 days in this one below which I cobbled up. Mine didn't even have a ladder- just a gap between the two sections at top.

Brilliant photo well done we get bad problems around here with crows and rooks taking tounges and eyes of lambs

Made a ladder trap a while ago will take photo when I get it back of a job I am doing at the moment,I think they way I made mine might be more sturdier and quicker to make I made mine from 4 8x4 weldmesh panels cable tied them together and done the same thing with the roof cut it down the middle and put two 8 foot inch and a half battons for the perches baited with a dead yew

I think it's better to shoot a crow that takes tounnged and eyes of lambs, if that is legal in Wales ofcourse.

• 2 months later...

If farmer has a problem with them, ie lots about the yard print a picture from this site off of one working. Don't think it'll be too hard to convince him that's what he needs, and if you are willing to build run it, he'll probably be wanting his daughter to marry you too.

Edited by daunker

Well thanks guys, I never even thought about making traps before, with the plans and pictures submited, I think I will have a go. I'm not too bad at butchering wood so why not, will save me the bother of staking the scoundrels out for hours.

Thanks all again for this thread has opened my eyes a bit :D

• 2 years later...

Right then chaps!!

I've been doing some work on a farm, and he's asked me to have a bash at his rooks, there's fecking hundreds of them there... shoot as many as you can he said... :icon_eek:

here's the question, do I make a trap and have a bash at them this way, how would I charge?? or how else would you do it ??

pm me if ya like ??

• 8 months later...

Has anyone tried a smaller version? Had any success?

I just made a small ladder trap ( to fit 6ft. x 4 ft.car trailer ) so I can move it around. Just baited it with a road kill hare .Was woken up this morning with a lot of noise from magpies and crows, went to check the trap only to find that the hare was stolen.I presume it was a fox, I should have pegged it in the ground. I did wonder if the birds escaped after the fox lifted the trap.