whats a good % of protein

I wish they made a great dog food that was a 24/30.

You need more fat in a workin dogs diet than protein in my opinion.

you need both protein is one of the first to burn fat only gets burnt once all the other stores have been used. but most good foods should be 25-28% protein and 12-18% oil. but your right oil is just as important as once all the protein stores are gone it feeds on the fats rather than your dogs body mass. but if you dont run your dog enough on these high protein and fat diets you'l have one fat dog so no good for off season dogs

ive got 24% protein pascoes gold. but a dog like a human uses fat first then protein as a last resort its called hitting the wall because it takes longer to break protein into energy than fats and glucose.

have to disagree yes you burn glucose during exercise but fat store are last to go. glucose and carbohydrates and protein all need to be burnt. protein and carbohydrates turns to fat cells if not burnt. gi carbohydrates are the worst because they produce a chemical whilst being broke down which stops protein being absorded in to the body and muscles. no one would ever put weight on if fat stores were the first to go. ask any body builder fat is the hardest thing to lose. muscle mass is easy in compared to fat loss basic bio and anatomy of body. the body is designed to store fat.

Edited by huntingalltheway

Dogs derive energy from animal fats... fact... a good balance of fat and protein is the best source of feeding i find... atb stabba

dont despute any of that if you read the whole post you'l see i see fat and protein should be balanced as well as all the other amino acids vitimins and minerals they need. plus if you read my other comments on dog food i mention that the fats are needed. just got in a debate on which way round the stores get burnt and the ways they pass through the body. dont know it all but my biology A level helps

i use a 28% protein 15% oils/fats plus meat

A quote from read the last line if you can't be bothered to read it all.

The Journal of Nutrition Vol. 128 No. 12 December 1998, pp. 2686S-2690S

The Nutritional Requirements of Exercising Dogs1,2

Richard C. Hill3

Department of Small Animal Clinical Sciences, College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32610

In dogs, as in other species, fat oxidation provides most of the energy at low rates of energy expenditure (60% at 40% of maximal oxygen uptake; VO2 max). As exercise intensity increases, glucose oxidation increases, whereas fat oxidation remains constant so that glucose oxidation is the principle source of energy at high rates of energy expenditure (80% at 85% VO2 max) (Weibel et al. 1996). In dogs, however, the amount of energy from fat oxidation at rest and during exercise is twice that in less aerobic species such as humans and goats (McLelland et al. 1994, Meyer and Doty 1988). Albumin binds more free fatty acids in dogs than in less aerobic species; thus the concentration of free fatty acids in the blood is higher and delivery of free fatty acids to the tissues is enhanced (McLelland et al. 1994). Muscle glycogen and fat stores are larger in dogs than in less aerobic species (Weibel et al. 1996). High fat diets increase resting serum triglycerides and free fatty acids, mitochondrial volume and maximal energy expenditure (Reynolds et al. 1996).

No study has looked at the effect of different types of fat on performance. Exercise increased the plasma concentration of each individual fatty acid in proportion to the plasma concentration of that fatty acid at rest, i.e., oleate (18:1), the predominant fatty acid, increased 150%, which was more of an increase than palmitate (16:1), which increased more than linoleate (18:2), which increased more than stearate (18:0) (Miller et al. 1963).

It is much less clear whether greyhounds should be fed a high fat or high carbohydrate diet. Anaerobic glycogenolysis and glycolysis rather than fat oxidation should provide most of the energy for a sprint race >500 m that lasts only 30 s. Greyhounds develop a marked lactic acidosis (pH 7.0-7.1) and muscle glycogen declines markedly during a race (Rose and Bloomberg 1989); consequently, some authors have suggested that carbohydrate may improve performance (Gannon 1987). Nevertheless, most muscle fibers in greyhounds are of the high oxidative type; high fat diets may therefore increase maximal fat oxidation, total maximal energy expenditure and performance in greyhounds as in sled dogs. One brief report suggests that greyhounds run faster when fed a moderate fat (31% of energy) diet compared with a very high fat (75% of energy) diet (Toll et al. 1992). One abstract suggests that greyhounds run faster when fed a high fat (38% of energy) diet compared with a moderate fat (28% of energy) diet (Hill et al. 1996). These two studies together suggest that optimum performance may be achieved in greyhounds by feeding a moderately high fat diet.

Protein. Racing sled dogs require a high protein diet because an anemia develops during training in dogs fed a low protein diet. Hematocrit declined in dogs fed a diet containing 28% of energy as protein but not in dogs fed a diet containing 32% of energy as protein (Kronfeld et al. 1977). Plasma volume was greater in racing sled dogs fed a very high protein (>40% of energy) diet (Reynolds 1995). This "sports anemia" was also more marked in dogs fed a vegetable protein diet compared with an animal protein diet (Yamada et al. 1987). Greyhounds, however, ran more slowly when fed increased dietary protein (36 vs. 24% of energy) (Hill et al. 1998).

I wish they made a great dog food that was a 24/30.

You need more fat in a workin dogs diet than protein in my opinion.

you need both protein is one of the first to burn fat only gets burnt once all the other stores have been used. but most good foods should be 25-28% protein and 12-18% oil. but your right oil is just as important as once all the protein stores are gone it feeds on the fats rather than your dogs body mass. but if you dont run your dog enough on these high protein and fat diets you'l have one fat dog so no good for off season dogs

ive got 24% protein pascoes gold. but a dog like a human uses fat first then protein as a last resort its called hitting the wall because it takes longer to break protein into energy than fats and glucose.

have to disagree yes you burn glucose during exercise but fat store are last to go. glucose and carbohydrates and protein all need to be burnt. protein and carbohydrates turns to fat cells if not burnt. gi carbohydrates are the worst because they produce a chemical whilst being broke down which stops protein being absorded in to the body and muscles. no one would ever put weight on if fat stores were the first to go. ask any body builder fat is the hardest thing to lose. muscle mass is easy in compared to fat loss basic bio and anatomy of body. the body is designed to store fat.

glucose is used first then the more complecated fat molecules are burnt and glucose and fats that are not used they are stored as glycogen. then protein is broken down this is where the body has to brake down mucsle tissue to make the energy needed to supply the body with energy required. its also has a difference because of which energy system is being use wheather it is the anerobic atp-pc system the latic acid system and the aerobic system on which type of energy is used