spaniel recall

I have a springer spaniel who is now seven months but still full of puppy.She wont go far away from me when off the lead but will not always come in the last 10 ft or so.

She is getting there with the sit and stay then recall but can i hell get her to return to me 100% of the time when she is running free. Which is what iam trying to achieve.I am at my wits end nearly

I have tried treats which worked but now that has worn thin a bit.

I am now trying waving a hat or dummy to encourage her but again it depends what mood she is in.

Only thing i can think of is a more confined space so she is not running free so much.

I do not want to progress her training until i have these basics embedded into her.

I need to get her to return to me every time i command it.

She is so easily distracted by sticks or bottles, anything she can pick up and run with.

I think this is where it has come from, she thinks iam going to take it away from her so she keeps her distance for the last few yard. A biscuit will usually do it but if she doesnt feel like it she will just continue running.

Could it be that she is still too young to start training.

I have tried a dummy in the corridor and she has improved she will return with it if i get excited and get right down to the floor.

Any advice would be more than welcomed.

Sorry posted in other section as well but thought this one was more appropriate.

She has lack of confidence in you, somewhere in her training you have been robbing her when she has been retrieving, she knows your gonna take it from her. Back to the vey beginning, loads of praise, silly voice, let her hold it for a while before taking it from her, she should think its fun and a game, but she's still only very young dont get frustrated and lose tour rag. Dont try to progress her training untill this problem is solved.

I have a springer spaniel who is now seven months but still full of puppy.She wont go far away from me when off the lead but will not always come in the last 10 ft or so.

She is getting there with the sit and stay then recall but can i hell get her to return to me 100% of the time when she is running free. Which is what iam trying to achieve.I am at my wits end nearly

I have tried treats which worked but now that has worn thin a bit.

I am now trying waving a hat or dummy to encourage her but again it depends what mood she is in.

Only thing i can think of is a more confined space so she is not running free so much.

I do not want to progress her training until i have these basics embedded into her.

I need to get her to return to me every time i command it.

She is so easily distracted by sticks or bottles, anything she can pick up and run with.

I think this is where it has come from, she thinks iam going to take it away from her so she keeps her distance for the last few yard. A biscuit will usually do it but if she doesnt feel like it she will just continue running.

Could it be that she is still too young to start training.

I have tried a dummy in the corridor and she has improved she will return with it if i get excited and get right down to the floor.

Any advice would be more than welcomed.

Sorry posted in other section as well but thought this one was more appropriate.

got a cocker 7 7 month old he did the same but ok now its try and try agen if it wont return wie balls and things recall and turn your back take a step or 2 and he will think u dont want it 9 out of ten they come this worked for me and give loads of fuss

Like you have said keep her more in a confined space.Maybe a long line also attatched to her so you can bring her to you if she decides other wise i would also try and get her out of the habit of picking plastic bottels or sticks up and only try to let her fetch the proper dummies.atb dell

I am trying to keep away from training the retrieving until i have this in order, sitting, recall heeling etc

The problem is i cant stop her picking sticks, bricks and bottles, everything from the garden and fields when iam out.

I know its wrong for her to run around with them so end up taking them off her.

What can i do, should i just let her keep hold of them when running free.

If i take them from her it could make the return worse but if i let her keep hold of them what influence or effects could this have.

BTW hendo did you know this is Shade of Teal.......its Andy

Dont let her off the lead,Only let her retrieve something that you have introduced like a sock or tennis ball etc and in the garden only.And do it before you feed her with treats and loads of fuss high pitch voice is well exciting for them. :thumbs:

I am trying to keep away from training the retrieving until i have this in order, sitting, recall heeling etc

The problem is i cant stop her picking sticks, bricks and bottles, everything from the garden and fields when iam out.

I know its wrong for her to run around with them so end up taking them off her.

What can i do, should i just let her keep hold of them when running free.

If i take them from her it could make the return worse but if i let her keep hold of them what influence or effects could this have.

BTW hendo did you know this is Shade of Teal.......its Andy

its all bonding thats the key thing mine carrys cloths toys and [bANNED TEXT] everif it brings back wots the prob thats comen for gun dog pups play and bond thats the key

Alright Andy, i knew it was you and the pup, id like to see a few pics !

Its a simple problem to sort out, dont get frustrated, take your time and she'll be spot on. Train her in a quiet spot on your permission, no disracyions, just you and her, get the basics drummed into her, remember, its all a game at this age

Baz

yeah I will try to get some pics up ASAP.

As i say though its not a retreiving thing i am trying to instill its just a recall/return with out the dummy.

I am working on the praise etc when she does return. Its just 50% of the time when she wont come fully in to me.

Other than this she is coming on great,,,,sitting is coming on well as well as the sit and stay.

Heel work is proving difficult but just been at it two weeks now...slowly but surely.

Hows your pups coming on hendo.

What you got in your kennel now?

Spot on Andy, i would make sure recall,sit and stay is 100% before i bothered with the heel work, my opinion, make sure one stage is complete before the next stage is started. You can always give me a ring for a bit of crack over thephone anytime mate. I have the springers, a cocker and a clumber at the moment mate, plenty to keep me busy ;)

Baz

let the pup run about keep an eye on it but don't interact with it pretend to ignore it. When its is on the move not sniffing at some thing thats of interest to it call it in as the pup looks to you turn and slow motion to run away from it let it catch you up and then you turn to it go down on the ground to the pups level use i higher pitch in your voice and welcome the pup in to you DONT TRY AND GET HOLD OF IT OR PAT IT LET THE PUP JUMP ON YOU LOOKING FOR ATTENTION AND THEN WRESTLE WITH IT STROKE IT PLAY WITH IT THATS WHAT YOU WANT TO GET OVER TO THE PUP ITS A FUN GAME TO COME RUNNING BACK TO YOU.mind you this is only my take on this problem you must try everything to get the pup to recall if not then you can't move on with your training atb.

Had her out today and she did well returned to me about three time no problem...brilliantly. This was when i had initially let her off the lead. Then she got loads of praise.

She then seemed to get her confidence up and would just run about. She then came in but just skirted around me.

In the garden later she has been ruturning quite well.

Might try tomorrow and keep her on the lead most of the time. Just so she does the good bit for the first three recalls then back on the lead.

start the recall in the house two pips on a whistle then loads of praise when it works my voice goes all joe pasquale on me when i praise a good thing!! That should help with the recall outside if they aint listening outside as some have said turn your back and walk away and pip the whistle and praise if the dog does comes to you young pups usually dont like being left as for the heel work im still working on it and mines is 2 years old so dnt stress about heel work just now cos they are to full of nonsense at that age

Edited by Blakloks

dog 7mths old training to far advanced if thedog is picking up dont do any more traing on that it looks like you wont have a prob with that get the dog back on sit and stay back o f acouple of paces still sitting walk back praise the dog still sitting walk back a few paces 2piips call the dog more praise also when walking the dog call the dog put back on lead walk abit let the dog of walk round abit call dog back put on the lead and so on fool the dog because itlooks like to me that when you call the dog back to you you go straight home he or she is still a baby she is not ready to go home yey try that when you are happy introduce something else and add that on and so on in stages and dont for get the shooting season does not start till next sept ember so take your time and get to know the dog andenjoy and buy a book by joe irvine spaniel training he is the god of spaniel training macsicarr cherokee mint just 2 of his dogs