Help with .223 loads

Could someone please give me a recipe for the following .223 ingredients. I’ve (rather foolishly) decided to jump straight into hand-loading for my new rifle (picking it up in a couple of weeks) as I got fed up trying to find some factory ammo for less that £27 a box!

I’m know it’s not a simple request but I’m after a ‘standard’ book load – something not too hot but fit for fragging fox’s and distant rabbits / crows. Like a muppet I’ve already paid for this stuff but not collected it yet so I do have some leeway with swapping a few bits around if you have any better ideas (ie powder etc).

Remington Brass

CCi Primers

Hornady 50gr V-MAX

Hodgen BLC2

The rifle is a Remi 700 SPS with a 20†Varmint barrel with 1 in 12 twist.

This will be my first time re-loading so please take pity on my ignorance – any advice on standard seating depths would be awsome. I've got a mickey mouse Lee reloaders 'kit' by the way...

Much appreciated

Could someone please give me a recipe for the following .223 ingredients. I’ve (rather foolishly) decided to jump straight into hand-loading for my new rifle (picking it up in a couple of weeks) as I got fed up trying to find some factory ammo for less that £27 a box!

I’m know it’s not a simple request but I’m after a ‘standard’ book load – something not too hot but fit for fragging fox’s and distant rabbits / crows. Like a muppet I’ve already paid for this stuff but not collected it yet so I do have some leeway with swapping a few bits around if you have any better ideas (ie powder etc).

Remington Brass

CCi Primers

Hornady 50gr V-MAX

Hodgen BLC2

The rifle is a Remi 700 SPS with a 20” Varmint barrel with 1 in 12 twist.

This will be my first time re-loading so please take pity on my ignorance – any advice on standard seating depths would be awsome. I've got a mickey mouse Lee reloaders 'kit' by the way...

Much appreciated

Just get a good data manual like the Hornady one (comes as a two book set) and use their loads. Also, the powder/bullet manufacturers will have stuff of their websites and most shops selling powder will have the free booklets the powder companies produce.

Don't know if you have a chronograph but if you do then you might find that you may get slightly more consistent performance by using a magnum primer as they are a bit hotter an sometimes ignite ball powders like BLC-2 a bit more efficiently.

J.

Edited by JonathanL

Remington Brass

CCi Primers

Hornady 50gr V-MAX

Hodgen BLC2

Much appreciated

Remington Brass

CCi Primers

Hornady 50gr V-MAX

Hodgen BLC2

Much appreciated

Just an observation! Hornady Vmax are flat base bullets (but their OK), my advice is get Nosler 55gr Ballistics next time, they are easier to load as they are boat tails, the bullet fits inside the case neck

and stays there as you seat them. In my experience they also shoot better than Hornady, also the Hornady bullets really do explode on impact, even on a rabbit they vapourise as soon as they touch, the Noslers are not so fragile but are very deadly. At least as you are reloading you can discover this for yourself!

I use Reloader 15, my Fox rifle is a 22.250 Ruger number 1, 34gr of R15 and a 55gr Nosler.

Nothing wrong with Lee gear either, used it for 12 years now and still going strong.

Lastly buy yourself some cheap 55gr full metal jacket bullets for plinking as they are dirt cheap and allow you to blast away at 10p a bullet not the 50>60p each fancy ones, also they can be posted to so get onto Midway UK and some can be in the post right away.

Good luck AndyF.

If you want the simplest load book you have to look no further than the paper insert that comes with your LEE dies.

Follow that for starters it includes OAL sizes and a few loads so you won't do anything that will harm you or the rifle !

Dont worry about flat based bullets just gently hold them on the case as they go in the die and you won't have a problem as they will seat by the action of the die.

I use hornaday 55grn spsx in my .22-250

Take your time learn to walk and then you will find running easy

fed up trying to find some factory ammo for less that £27 a box!

Is that a mis-print.

I bought 500 .223(Samson) at £8 for 20 about 2 months ago.

How much are you going to pay for cases, used or new?

Most reloaders would, I suspect, advise buying a large quantity of brass or rounds so that there is a better chance of the cases being fairly uniform.