whats the best 4x4 for lampin

i've been researching this now for a while in my head, the best answer i can find is, the mercedes unimog,

1)its classed as a tractor so no mot, cheap tax

2)runs on red derv

3)great height, always shooting down, and see over hedges

4)plenty of space in rear

5)fit floatation tyres and it does zero ground damage

6)versetile machine, many uses

7)drive on car licence

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless your lamping in oz, the u.s or somewhere else with real big land, why do you need a 4x4? JUst wondered if you genuinely need it or just cant be assed to walk?

No offense meant . . . . i just wondered why you (or anyone else on here) feels they need one. To me it doesn't make much sense with the dog, but is a useful tool when lamping to shoot with the rifle.

atb

Jai.

NOT EVERYONE HAS PERMISSION, WHO WANTS TO BE CAUGHT IN FIELD.DOGS CAN BE TRAINED AROUND MOTOR, MINE ARE 'SLIPPED' BY JUMPING OUT WINDOW WHEN I LET IT DOWN, JUMP BACK IN AS WELL. GOOD FOR FOXING, GET ON EM QUICKER. ALSO IF TOUGH RUN, YOU DONT LOSE TARGET IN BEAM. AND YOU DONT HAVE TO CARRY, LAMP, BATTERY, AND YOR KILLS, PLUS HOLD DOG LEAD. BATTERIES NEVER GO FLAT OR DIM.I DRIVE AROND FIELDS, BUT ON TRACKS OR STUBBLE, COMMON SENSE MATE WERE IN 21ST CENTURY, WHY MARCH FIELDS?

I'd have thought driving a bloody great vehicle around might be a decent way to get noticed. And if you have no permission then driving 4x4 across farmers fields is a very good way of making lurcher lads look like right c*nts. And if your obsessed with modernity - why you hunting with dogs??? I march fields cos its quiet, works and keeps me fit. Also the kind of land i'm hunting would beat nearly every vehicle. If wheels are needed the quad goes out.

well i have had my wee dahatsui terios for a while now,my mate has one also,and before i had mine wee done all the lamping in his,and wee took it into places you wouldnt dream,good for getting turned in tight spaces,good turning circle for getting through tight gates. we have had the terios up to its neck in mud and still pulled itself out,with the dif lock switch,its and added bonus to use if u do get stuck. and this is with normall road tyres. id recommend this,though my only trouble is,for other types of shooting,pigeons,wildfowling. it just lacks a bit of space,this is the old model im referring to. not sure what the newer models are like.

I don't think you've ever done any serious offroading. If you had, you wouldn't be suggesting that ANY 4x4 with road tyres on & "up to its neck in mud" would cope. You're either talking bollocks or over exagerating. If it was upto it's axles you're going nowhere with road tyres on unless there's someone pulling you out. Admit you're talking out of your arse, go on admit it :yes:

• 2 weeks later...

Ive had s few 4x4 over the years Landrover 110 and Landrover 90 Discovery a honda quad which was great until It came to shooting foxes on a cold night now on a L200 but without a doubt for off road work the best I ever had was a Suzuki sj413 1300 cc engine 5 speed box like a bloody idiot i sold it and bought a landrover big big mistake.

For carrying dogs round shoot lamping foxes and general shoot work the sj413 was unbeatable.

get a early 90,s ford maverick 2.7 td and normally get one on ebay for under a grand :thumbs:

iv heard very bad reports about the maverick, that they will cost more to sort out than they are worth

mate had a maverick(old one) was a pile of shit apparently it was stuck all time.iv got a fortrack but i mostly walk anyway.big thing for me was the 2 seats in the back so i could have main rear seats folded up at all times and still have people in back and plently of room for dog.also back door opens from inside to led dogs out while lamping which is a must if thats what you want to use it for.downside is its thirsty!its a 4x4 so get use to it.lol :thumbs:

i've been researching this now for a while in my head, the best answer i can find is, the mercedes unimog,

2)runs on red derv

7)drive on car licence

1) its not

2)only in some cases (generally not)

3)pain in the arse to get in and out of and put things in

4)granted, if you can get stuff up in there

5)you can have flotation tyres, leaving some not zero damage

6)possibly the problem

7)not all of them

8 ) struggle with your average gate

9)has turning circle of a bus)

10)is very heavy.... when you do get stuck on you zero tyres you may as well of taken a tractor and 10 furrow plough

11)very noisy

12)very obvious

13)very expensive

14)maintenance costs are huge

back to the drawing board me thinks!

Edited by JR Yipp

2)runs on red derv

7)drive on car licence

1) its not

2)only in some cases (generally not)

3)pain in the arse to get in and out of and put things in

4)granted, if you can get stuff up in there

5)you can have flotation tyres, leaving some not zero damage

6)possibly the problem

7)not all of them

8 ) struggle with your average gate

9)has turning circle of a bus)

10)is very heavy.... when you do get stuck on you zero tyres you may as well of taken a tractor and 10 furrow plough

11)very noisy

12)very obvious

13)very expensive

14)maintenance costs are huge

back to the drawing board me thinks!

Agreed!

in my oppinion these are the top 10 motors for lamping from and driving fields........;)

1. toyota landcruiser 80 series

2. subaru forester 2.0 (non turbo)

3. nissan patrol 4.2 gr

4. subaru legacy (non turbo)

5. isuzu trooper 2.8 tdi (old shape)

6. daihatsu fourtrak independant

7. mitsubishi shogun

8. range rover classic

9. landrover defender 90

10. landrover discovery