LEGEND LAMPING DOGS

Just a few years ago, a mate and myself were travelling along the Alston to Stanhope road at 1.30 in the morning after doing some work there,- we had to slow the car down, you couldn't drive on the road, it was just a carpet of rabbits. An average dog would have become a legend that night,- they just froze in the headlights. Never seen so many rabbits in one place.

exactly where i was talking about mate. the point i was tryingto make. imagine them rabbits at the begining of season my dog was 14 month at the time she was nailing 15/20 in 20 mins/ half hour. some rabbits are a hell of a lot harder than others.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cheers for mentioning my bitch Ginny, although she is no longer with me due to a incident half way through the season involving the scottish police she had a lot of big bags SINGLE HANDED on the rabbi

MINSHAWS BLUE ? .......... GOT BEAT IN A MATCH BY A MATES FIRST CROSS CUR / GREYHOUND   THE UNBEATABLE BLUE ? ....... YEAH RIGHT   MORE CRAPS BEEN WRITTEN ABOUT BOTH COURSING AND LAMPING DO

NOPE ..... BLUE WAS BEATEN WELL .... SIMPLE AS   REMEMBER 99 % OF THE TIME MINSHAW AND PALS RAN THEIR DOGS DOUBLED UP .... ON EVERYTHING ! A FEW OF THE MEN I AM PROUD TO CALL FRIENDS SAW BLUE AND

we here loads about all these top class daytime dogs. Is there any famous lamping dogs living or dead if so what breed are they and what are there achievments.

My honest opoinion here it goes, theirs one thing i have learnt an thats the people behind the dogs. If i go out 4 times a week an someone takes theirs out once a week then i will put my life on my dog bein better. The reason minshaws blue became a well known dog is all the to the man that owned it, from what i have heard he really was a very very good lamper one of the best if not the best. If people want good dogs put the hours in they will come thats my advice. . . :thumbs:

Dont forget most of these legends were only known about due to their owners writeing and advertiseing the fact in magazines how meny dogs must have been about were their owners chose to keep it to themselves how good their dogs were like some still do today.thumbs.gif

Tigger bud your topic is about top class lamping dogs so is it about rabbiting dogs and numbers in general?

atb keano

i am interested to her about dogs that have excelled at lamping on any given quarry. it dont necaceraly come down to a dog thats had one good night and caught a massive bag. it comes down to numbers game day and night when you judge a dog on how good it is but real good dogs are consitant and prove them selves to be on a top level time and time again.

Guest storm70

i own 2 good dogs for lamping and have owned a few that have past away my best 68 rabbits 13 long ears 1 dog a bit a this in them and abit a that good topic all depends on how much game put down to them :whistling:

Duck wing when the collie cur beat "Blue" was it not a knock out senario?? and it beat by one rabbit?? I dont know just a tale I heard then on the way home blue knocked over a few hares??

One thing is for sure "blue" must of made some impact on the dogging world as he is still mentioned and it will be undispuited he put plenty of gear to bed and the man Minshaw grafted his dogs to there limits. And also he wont of been alone working his dogs to their limits plenty deadicated men will work there dogs hard.

Not sure there will be many more legends or so called Legends in to days climit would not be worth the hassle or the notorioty..

Edited by Giro

how do you figure that?? wont the dog still have to be fit?? its not going to hit every one on the seat!! If your dogs catching the odd rabbit here and there and you take it to good ground and think your walking away with 40 plus you will either be carrying your dog home or burying it. Dogs dont just hit big numbers by chance they are conditioned and worked hard regulary.

Edited by Giro

how do you figure that?? wont the dog still have to be fit?? its not going to hit every one on the seat!! If your dogs catching the odd rabbit here and there and you take it to good ground and think your walking away with 40 plus you will either be carrying your dog home or burying it. Dogs dont just hit big numbers by chance they are conditioned and worked hard regulary.

Spot on, its the only way if you want good bags, [lamping+bike work]

b2.jpg

bryn3.jpg