Log Store

Yep, that will do the job, but if you want to keep the burner going all winter, you'll need a few more of the same.

That would be a week/2 weeks max in my burner going 24 on a slow burn. Once you have it on, you wont want it off angel.gif

A few more stores of that size? shit do they really burn that much?

i did mention a bus shelter biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif your gonna need a bigger store .. chain saw log splitter chopper and a decent hammer .. and a few saturdays free yes.gif Edited by the_stig

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This was filled to the brim before last summer, and is now completely empty, I was lazy last winter, normally I would have another one the same in reserve..   I started filling again today for next

you should of went for a multi burner kristian then you could of had burned different types of fuel on it mate, ive had 1 installed since december, brilliant.

Sorry it is a multiburner but got a forestry behind my house that they are felling part of so got loadsa free wood

Posted Images

We use about 12 cubic metres of wood for the winter n our little house. I do my best to only burn stuff that is 2 years old, and try to sweep the chimney twice, although once for definate. We only really use oak, chestnut and sometimes cherry.

Last year I helped a mate felling logging and splitting 40 cube of oak which we went halves on (my half he gave me from stuff he cut the previous year), took us the best part of a week, big oaks aswell using the splitter on the back of the tractor, just coming to the end of that lot now. Bought a few extra metres of a farmer/hunting mate just to see us through to spring.

In the coldest weather we will use near enough a cube a week, so looking at your nice pallet store youve made, that stacked full of quartered logs would last us a week. Keeps me warm just thinking of stacking it up!

• Like 1

We use about 12 cubic metres of wood for the winter n our little house. I do my best to only burn stuff that is 2 years old, and try to sweep the chimney twice, although once for definate. We only really use oak, chestnut and sometimes cherry.

Last year I helped a mate felling logging and splitting 40 cube of oak which we went halves on (my half he gave me from stuff he cut the previous year), took us the best part of a week, big oaks aswell using the splitter on the back of the tractor, just coming to the end of that lot now. Bought a few extra metres of a farmer/hunting mate just to see us through to spring.

In the coldest weather we will use near enough a cube a week, so looking at your nice pallet store youve made, that stacked full of quartered logs would last us a week. Keeps me warm just thinking of stacking it up!

12 cubic metres clapper.gif feckin hell waz its thl not mastermind ... wink.gif

We split 5 tonnes of logs over 3 days with a Log Splitter that runs off the p.t.o on the tractor. We did this about 2 months ago and have used atleast a tonne. We have a multi-fuel log burning stove jobbie and another open fire. The stove is on every day and the other is on during the really cold snaps, or if the room is being used. Our stove is back, in the lumm (if that makes sense) sitting ontop of a slab of slate. The wall is fluch all round with the stove pretrufing outwards (looks smart). There's a metal plate that goes across the chimney just above the stove, the pipe from the stove goes through this then the smoke jjst goes out the chimmney. The plate is to stop soot coming down ontop of the stove e.c.t. Will try and put a pic up tomorrow :). Sorry for the rant, I am rather bored :laugh:

All The Best

12 cubic metres clapper.gif feckin hell waz its thl not mastermind ... wink.gif

LOL its a bit of a commodity round here, 1m3 is about 45 euros, if it is cut into 50cm lengths then you might have to pay 55 euros. Hence the reason why I will graft for it when work is quiet, or buy it young (green) from mates and keep it for 18-24 months before I use it. If you dont dry it long enough it seems you have to burn of the wetness before you get the best heat from it, when you burn stuff that is too young/wet you can hear it hissing as the wetness boils off it. Maybe not this year but in the future I plan on buying a hectare or 2 of woodland of me own, 2 reasons for that ;)

I'm installing a wood burner in my house in the next few weeks. I've ordered the stove and have been looking at log stores to keep the wood in to dry out. The thing is i've looked at a few and they have been priced £60 - £200 and they look so flimsy. Just wondering as anyone build their own and do they have any pics? i'm thinking of making one out of pallets but i'm not very good with a saw lol. Any pics would be appreciated. Also if anyone has got pics of their log burners so i can get some ideas for the surround and hearth that would be good to. Thanks, Kristian.

the simplest way is a few pallets on ground, logs stacked on top, fence post each corner and a marine ply or corrugated roof on top. As long as they are off the wet ground and can get plenty of air, then anything will do.