japanese akita x greyhound

Just to add confusion I went to North Queensland many moons ago and their Bull arabs were Saluki/pointer/bull terrier, they reckon they were the original. They were big dogs and I didn't know how they were that big with that cross but it's easy to breed that picking the biggest pups each gen. They were nice dogs and I don't like to admit the Saluki in case sand slug gets a hard on ?. I had one from Cauchi in NSW and it deff had dane in it.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not just boars either  

It would of raped it

I've heard the "Saluki" theory also. But also heard the supposedly original breeder had mated his dog, which was called "Arab" with a bull type. "Arab" wasn't Saluki, but the name, as you say, added t

Posted Images

18 minutes ago, Aussie Whip said:

Just to add confusion I went to North Queensland many moons ago and their Bull arabs were Saluki/pointer/bull terrier, they reckon they were the original. They were big dogs and I didn't know how they were that big with that cross but it's easy to breed that picking the biggest pups each gen. They were nice dogs and I don't like to admit the Saluki in case sand slug gets a hard on ?. I had one from Cauchi in NSW and it deff had dane in it.

I've heard the "Saluki" theory also. But also heard the supposedly original breeder had mated his dog, which was called "Arab" with a bull type. "Arab" wasn't Saluki, but the name, as you say, added to the confusion.

Ask ten different Ozzie dog lads their opinion and you'll likely get ten different answers.

I tend to shy away from the saluki theory, as how many Salukis were available back then,  compared to greyhounds ?

Ive also wondered why Salukis aren't more popular down their, given the amount of hares and the size of the land ?

IMG_0245.JPG.bcb763c0ed480490d9199a0bc2b074b0.JPG

Cheers.

• Like 4
13 hours ago, chartpolski said:

I've heard the "Saluki" theory also. But also heard the supposedly original breeder had mated his dog, which was called "Arab" with a bull type. "Arab" wasn't Saluki, but the name, as you say, added to the confusion.

Ask ten different Ozzie dog lads their opinion and you'll likely get ten different answers.

I tend to shy away from the saluki theory, as how many Salukis were available back then,  compared to greyhounds ?

Ive also wondered why Salukis aren't more popular down their, given the amount of hares and the size of the land ?

Cheers.

Yeah it ends up in pub fights, lol. The dogs I saw in Queensland were definitely Saluki crosses, they looked at least 1/2 but were very tall, big dogs. That was 40 years ago and the bloke said they were a known line up there. As steve says different pig hunters add dane and mastiff to their own dogs so I don't think the Arab is a pure breed really, I hope it stays like that and the dogs never end up in show hands. Why they named the dogs Arabs is a mystery, I'm off to the pub for a quick beer and bring the subject up ?.

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, Aussie Whip said:

Yeah it ends up in pub fights, lol. The dogs I saw in Queensland were definitely Saluki crosses, they looked at least 1/2 but were very tall, big dogs. That was 40 years ago and the bloke said they were a known line up there. As steve says different pig hunters add dane and mastiff to their own dogs so I don't think the Arab is a pure breed really, I hope it stays like that and the dogs never end up in show hands. Why they named the dogs Arabs is a mystery, I'm off to the pub for a quick beer and bring the subject up ?.

Why are they called Arabs? Is there any chance the bull terriers you sourced were from the middle east? 

• Haha 2
14 hours ago, chartpolski said:

Ive also wondered why Salukis aren't more popular down their, given the amount of hares and the size of the land

There's staghounds in the wheat belt in SA with a lot of Saluki blood. Yeah I don't know why they aren't more popular as most inland terrain would suit them as well as the heat thing. In the hills around me the little whippet /stags rule on the rabbits.

On 12/11/2022 at 20:19, Aussie Whip said:

There were a lot of shenanigans went on around the formation of the bull grey and the bull arab. Stollen dogs friendships lost most of it lost in time but i do know a big staghound dogs featured in the early days.

• Like 1
On 12/11/2022 at 20:40, chartpolski said:

Cheers.

Just as a side note I had a friend in the 80s and she and her first husband ran their straight salukies on pigs ive never had any reason to doubt the story.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Aussie Whip said:

There's staghounds in the wheat belt in SA with a lot of Saluki blood. Yeah I don't know why they aren't more popular as most inland terrain would suit them as well as the heat thing. In the hills around me the little whippet /stags rule on the rabbits.

True their are and a mate in vic has a very handy 50/50 but having owned a pure bitch I wouldn't bother again.

• Like 1