Good results with a cheap gun.

Well, I hadnt been clay shooting for months and months, so when the missus gave me a "allowed out" pass on Sunday I shot down the local clay range like a rocket.

Normally I take either my Beretta 391 or my Lanber o/u sporter. I get good results with both, although have to say the 391 is my favourite. But this time I thought id also take a £60 spanish 12bore sbs I bought earlier in the year - just to put a few cartridges through it to make sure it worked okay.

The clay place I go is normally nice & quiet, so theres no pressure and you can go around at your own pace, which is what I like. I get there, and start off on some skeet with the new sbs. First round, 21 / 25. Did 3 more rounds, averaging about 22/25. Not bad for a new gun with no buttpad and my first time using a sbs. Encouraged by that, i then moved onto the 75 bird sporting and averaged 65% which is what i normally get if im a bit rusty.

All in all I was very impressed with the cheap gun. It handled really well, and I was blasting some sporting clays id normally miss - particually long ones. I certainly got much better scores than some of the guys there who had £4000 guns.

I ended up putting about 180 cartridges through the gun in less than 2 hours and this gun is now rapidly becoming my favourite!

Just goes to show you dont need to mess about with an expensive gun, or worrying about what chokes you need to use.

Nice :)

To be honest I don't see the point in expensive guns because most people I know prefer there cheapest gun to there expensive ones.

Too right. My brother used to use a £100 o/u baikal with 26" barrels and used to "beat" guys who had top of range beretta o/u`s. To be honest, i think you enjoy it more when you know you havent spent a fortune on your gun, it certainly gave me a lot of satisfaction and im certainly going to take my cheapie sbs next time i go.

Too many people throw money into their guns and equipment thinking it will give them better results when it doesnt always.

• 3 weeks later...

:whistling: to me it is not the gun but the shooter be hind it :whistling:

Good point, and the old saying is that a "good workman doesnt blame his tools".....

But, I find a lot of sports have that huge psychological element to them and sometimes by using a more expensive "tool", or buying some sort of extra accessory makes the person think they are going to shoot better. Then if they think this, sometimes they do shoot better.