My new dog and pups 1st brush pile

Well it had been almost a week since my last hunt...Hunted with a friend on some brush piles with Indy(12 mo. patt.) last thursday...Today I took my green dog MR. and my 6 mo. old Bruno, Indy stayed home she needs some time to heal...I decided to check a good sized brush/doser pile, it's been there for many years and is real close to the creek...

Something must have clicked in MR's head today (only his 2nd time out. I've only had him a couple weeks) becuase he got the scent of a coon in the pile and started hunting...He was looking hard but couldnt get it's location pinned down...Since it was such a large pile I figured the coon was out manuvering him so I put Bruno in with him...Between the two of them they got one located and it was game on...

I went to work with the chain saw but when I got close with the saw they moved to the other side of the pile...Around to the other side I went and started cutting again...To make a long story short they had the coon pinned in a tight spot and were both taking damage especially Bruno so I pulled them out ...Bruno wanted back in pretty bad but I felt he had already taken more than a pup should...

I guess we will get that one some other time...After today I think Bruno and MR. have alot better idea of what they are suppose to be doing when we go out...

BrunosfirstBrushpilehunt6mo1.jpg

Bruno @ 6 months patterdale

BrunosfirstBrushpilehunt6mo2.jpg

BrunosfirstBrushpilehunt6mo3.jpg

BrunosfirstBrushpilehunt6mo4.jpg

BrunosfirstBrushpilehunt6mo5.jpg

Mr. @ 1yr 7 months 1/4 patt. 1/4 jrt 1/2 jagd

MR1.jpg

MR2.jpg

MR3.jpg

Well it had been almost a week since my last hunt...Hunted with a friend on some brush piles with Indy(12 mo. patt.) last thursday...Today I took my green dog MR. and my 6 mo. old Bruno, Indy stayed home she needs some time to heal...I decided to check a good sized brush/doser pile, it's been there for many years and is real close to the creek...

Something must have clicked in MR's head today (only his 2nd time out. I've only had him a couple weeks) becuase he got the scent of a coon in the pile and started hunting...He was looking hard but couldnt get it's location pinned down...Since it was such a large pile I figured the coon was out manuvering him so I put Bruno in with him...Between the two of them they got one located and it was game on...

I went to work with the chain saw but when I got close with the saw they moved to the other side of the pile...Around to the other side I went and started cutting again...To make a long story short they had the coon pinned in a tight spot and were both taking damage especially Bruno so I pulled them out ...Bruno wanted back in pretty bad but I felt he had already taken more than a pup should...

I guess we will get that one some other time...After today I think Bruno and MR. have alot better idea of what they are suppose to be doing when we go out...

BrunosfirstBrushpilehunt6mo1.jpg

Bruno @ 6 months patterdale

BrunosfirstBrushpilehunt6mo2.jpg

BrunosfirstBrushpilehunt6mo3.jpg

BrunosfirstBrushpilehunt6mo4.jpg

BrunosfirstBrushpilehunt6mo5.jpg

Mr. @ 1yr 7 months 1/4 patt. 1/4 jrt 1/2 jagd

MR1.jpg

MR2.jpg

MR3.jpg

nice to see ther gettin stuck in away lad .. keep up the gud hunting.. :thumbs:

them raccoon take some shifting don't they!! we had quite a few in hoexter(germany). they can be real nasty too,i used to cath them in big box traps all of the time( don't even need to bait it if its in the right place,a bit of tin foil on some string did help though).

a worthy quarry for any small dog( especially at the beginning of winter as they are very heavy). do you have the enok there too? ( martin dog? come from asia,imported for the pelt farms.)

great pics bud and good to see the dogs getting stuck in.

the pup has one hell of a head on him too!!

• Like 2

what do they live on,do they hibernate in the wood piles?cheers :thumbs:

They are pretty opportunistic they will live in hollow trees, empty groundhog burrows, brush piles, empty buildings, attics...

They dont hibernate but do fatten up for winter...They eat just about everything...

http://www.wonderclub.com/Wildlife/mammals/racoon.html

They can be quite nasty and a big one can do alot of damage to a terrier...

Messed my pup up pretty good he got a couple of big deep holes in his gums...