geese

Guest piking pirate

We've got a few desent sized skiens of pinks and greys up with us, there arriving ,stopping for a night and heading south,I got a shot at a skien of greys two nights ago but missed (must be a little rusty wi the big gun) and a group of guys further down the shore had managed to call in a small group of pinks and got 4 of them. Not had the big numbers of pinks and greys yet though, cant wait til they do arrive.

Happy Hunting.

Guest piking pirate
Hello im near a great wildfowling area & saw my first last monday(pink's) northeast scotland

looks like i should be expecting the pinks at norfolk soon the have to search out the magnums!!!

tungsten i asure you ;)

Guys be very careful in quarry I.D. !!

Men charged for geese 'shootings'

Police said offenders faced fines or jail sentences

Six men have been charged after the carcasses of several protected birds were found in Aberdeenshire.

The remains of seven barnacle geese were recovered at an organised shoot near Ellon.

Police said the men, charged under the Wildlife and Countryside Act, were shooters aged between 35 and 71 from West Yorkshire.

A Grampian Police spokesman said: "The barnacle goose is a protected species and cannot be legally shot."

Prison sentences

Officers will make further enquiries and a report will be sent to the Procurator Fiscal.

Area wildlife crime officer Constable George Sangster said: "Field sports are important to the local economy of the north east.

"At this time of year there is a great influx of visitors engaged in the perfectly lawful sport of wildfowling.

"Having said that clearly, there is a responsibility on the part of organisers and participants engaged in sports shooting to ensure that their activities remain within the law.

"Recent changes in wildlife legislation now include reckless charges in relation to the killing of wild birds with possible penalties of up to six months in prison and or a £5,000 fine for each offence."

Six men have been charged after the carcasses of several protected birds were found in Aberdeenshire.

The remains of seven barnacle geese were recovered at an organised shoot near Ellon.

Police said the men, charged under the Wildlife and Countryside Act, were shooters aged between 35 and 71 from West Yorkshire.

A Grampian Police spokesman said: "The barnacle goose is a protected species and cannot be legally shot."

Prison sentences

Officers will make further enquiries and a report will be sent to the Procurator Fiscal.

Area wildlife crime officer Constable George Sangster said: "Field sports are important to the local economy of the north east.

"At this time of year there is a great influx of visitors engaged in the perfectly lawful sport of wildfowling.

"Having said that clearly, there is a responsibility on the part of organisers and participants engaged in sports shooting to ensure that their activities remain within the law.

"Recent changes in wildlife legislation now include reckless charges in relation to the killing of wild birds with possible penalties of up to six months in prison and or a £5,000 fine for each offence."

heard about it today not far from me if the fckng idiots didnt know what they

were shooting they should never have pulled the trigger. :diablo: if they did know

they should have made sure they werent caught :whistle: even the sillouette of a barnacle is a lot different

from a pinkfoot. :hmm: anyway im not far from the loch of strathbeg i think i saw our first

skeins about two weeks ago :yahoo: .a couple of the local goose guides i go ferreting for say

the numbers on the loch are looking good and posotive for the season. :D

by fck nothing beats out mooching at some ungodly hour and seeing the geese fly over

the noise and site makes the hairs stand up...........fckn goose fever!!!!!! :yahoo::yahoo:

Aye a totally agree wi you chay, I live just beside the Ythan estuary and folk like that put us all in a bad light what gets me is how after the first barnacle was dropped why the guide didn't stop the party and pull them up on the identification of geese.

I was down the shore last night and the amount of geese that were over head were well into the thousands all flighting back to meikle loch a good number did put into the estuary though.

The other thing that f*cks me right off is guys shooting at 100yard high geese as some c*nts were last night, when I went over to speak to them they had already packed up, looking around I found all there empty shells all 12gauge steel there is no way on gods earth your even going to tickle the geese at that range with them, I shoot a homeloaded 2ounces of bismuth out a 10gauge and I wouldn't dream of pulling the gun onto a goose anything above 45yards 50 at a push they are spoiling it for everyone else. :censored:

sorry for the moan guys but I need 1 a day.

happy hunting meikle.

• 10 months later...

Prison sentences

were shooting they should never have pulled the trigger. :diablo: if they did know

they should have made sure they werent caught :whistle: even the sillouette of a barnacle is a lot different

from a pinkfoot. :hmm: anyway im not far from the loch of strathbeg i think i saw our first

skeins about two weeks ago :yahoo: .a couple of the local goose guides i go ferreting for say

by fck nothing beats out mooching at some ungodly hour and seeing the geese fly over

the noise and site makes the hairs stand up...........fckn goose fever!!!!!! :yahoo::yahoo:

you must be some guy that can spot a goose in flight im sure you look and think oh no thats a barnacle best not shoot THINK NOT

• 1 year later...

Prison sentences

you must be some guy that can spot a goose in flight im sure you look and think oh no thats a barnacle best not shoot THINK NOT

New 08/09 season underway, so to restart a thread.

Barnies are easy to ID, not because they are a different sillouete, that only works if you know there is a barnie in the pack and see them side by side or the upper wing, but they are so very vocal and the calls are so different to the other geese. The problem is with singletons in a pink pack.

All fowlers, no matter how experienced, should be using the RSPB (and others) websites to freshen up on their calls ID, its a great resource!

I have seen two experienced fowlers on the west bank of the Ythan shoot at super-MAX range geese that were barnies, you could tell a mile off they wern't pinks as they barked on their way in. Listen to learn!