Ferret hutch's

you pesties all have easy access to that wire mesh and i have none at the monent. i cant get driven anywhere so would chicken wire be ok for the front of hutch? just as temperary?

dont use chicken wire mate,iv seen a few that have but it usually goes wrong,i was at a keeper friends house a few weeks back and noticed one of his cadges was chicken wire mesh and had a nice silver hob in it,the next time i was round about 3 days later and asked where the hob was it had chewed through the chicken wire and his GS guard dog had nailed it. :( you can get mesh from any builders merchants or d.i.y places,atb

Edited by ferreter.al

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you pesties all have easy access to that wire mesh and i have none at the monent. i cant get driven anywhere so would chicken wire be ok for the front of hutch? just as temperary?

dont use chicken wire mate,iv seen a few that have but it usually goes wrong,i was at a keeper friends house a few weeks back and noticed one of his cadges was chicken wire mesh and had a nice silver hob in it,the next time i was round about 3 days later and asked where the hob was it had chewed through the chicken wire and his GS guard dog had nailed it. :( you can get mesh from any builders merchants or d.i.y places,atb

ok cheers.

this is my new hutch, not finished yet due to my jill having kits mid construction.

The bottom is going to be a run ad the blue tube will link to another section in the garden...

post-26888-1244763865.jpg

post-26888-1244763901.jpg

each level has a hole leading to the next and they can easily be closed of when ferrets are in sason.

It's fine, had it on the front of mine for about 18 months now, no problems at all, Welded mesh is obviously better, but i haven't had any probs with chicken mesh.

Tell a lie, there is one problem, baby ferrets can fit through it, so no good if you are breeding.

Just recently moved them in to their new pad.

that looks tidy im in the middle of doing mine and was wondering is that ducting going to theyre beds? because i was thinking of doing somthin similar but didnt know if it would be to steep for them to climb through

Just recently moved them in to their new pad.

that looks tidy im in the middle of doing mine and was wondering is that ducting going to theyre beds? because i was thinking of doing somthin similar but didnt know if it would be to steep for them to climb through

Its land drain pipe bud, or (leaky pipe). You can set it quite steep as its ridged so is easy for them to grip, some land drain pipe has sharp plastic shards inside though so if you do use it then you have to smooth them off.