Black eye whites

quick question is it safe to breed black eye white to black eye white i have been told silver to silver is a no no ?? got a father and two daughters here that i was going to breed this season to tighten up the line as the daughters have a slight black line in summer is it on breeding this way also does anyone have a bew jill for sale or swap to change the stock we are breeding as i think every ferret in my town is down of the same bew hob .

greg

nafin wrong with breeding DEWS together your more likely 2 get more DEWS wich more and more people seem 2 be after these days and who ever told you its wrong 2 breed 2 slivers together needs there head looked at :11: :11: atb in what ever you do mate :good:

the ferreter

try looking up

waardenburg syndrome

theres no concrete evidence but somtimes you will end up with deformed kitts

have a look

atb :thumbs:

nafin wrong with breeding DEWS together your more likely 2 get more DEWS wich more and more people seem 2 be after these days and who ever told you its wrong 2 breed 2 slivers together needs there head looked at :11: :11: atb in what ever you do mate :good:

Jeez pal where the hell do you get your information from, breeding silver to silver is a real can of worms.

There is a good chance the offspring will have joint problems at the very least and the ferret version of cereberal palsy at worst.

As a rescue we have had to pick up the fall out from this type of uneducated breeding more than once and until you have spent time dealing with the poor little sods and eventually having to have them PTS you will realise why this type of attitude puts my back up.

Silver to Silver is a definite NO!!!!!!!

So now i'll just sit back and let you lot take pot shots at me,

But remember when you have your disabled ferret kits I TOLD YOU SO

FT :censored:

It was on here i saw someone saying that 2 silvers could cause deformed kits as for colours i have had poleys and sandys all my days but had a cracking working bew so kept his two best kits both are working very well i thought that if i put him back over them it would tighten the genes up like with lurchers ? no one has bews up here and i quite like them i know i shouldnt care about what colour they are but if i wanted a merle lurcher i wouldnt settle for a black after all i will have them there whole life.

greg

p.s im in fife

The ferret tamer would what i am saying be ok ? i had read that about the silvers hence asking on here im coming up for 14 so dont know tht much about colours etc although i have had a litter every year since i was 8 from my polecats so just thought i would ask for advice i would happily swap one of my jills for another bew jill to get fresh stock and give someone else fresh stock .

the ferreter

try looking up

waardenburg syndrome

theres no concrete evidence but somtimes you will end up with deformed kitts

have a look

atb :thumbs:

will do that mate never heard of that happening getting deformed kits if you breed 2 slivers ill have 2 check it out cheers :thumbs:

when i put a sandy hob to a polecat jill unrelated i ended up with 4 sandy 3 pole 3albino so would of thought same with a silver or a black eyed your guna get a percentage of what you want and some one will always prefer the others like i prefer pole colour but might put a silver to my jill this season just to see dont agree with sibling to parent mating myself would you like it wild polecats are solitary and boot there young out

Edited by Jamie m

i put the bew over a silver and a poley both litters were half bew/light silver and the other half poley now i think if genetics are alike the lurchers if i breed the hob back to hi bew daughter i should technicaly have a litter of bews ? was just asking if like the silvers will the kits be deformed as i would not want that i have been breeding ferrets for 6 years so am no novice just never specificaly bred father to daughter to produce sertain colours obviously if i stick him over a cinemon ill get half sandy half bew but thats not what im looking for everyone has the norm i am looking to get a line going thats breeding true to type ability and colour but i didnt know if i could start all this from 1 single bew hob ?

theres line breeding then inbreeding linebreeding can produce faults as the lines the same so they hAVE THE SAME faults breeding to closely inbreeding creates the faults thats natures way of warning theres tons of ferrets up n down the country all difrent coulors and size get in what you want even just borrow a hob or buy a new jill just my opinion not an expert

:no: Who gives a shit what colout their jacket is like, working ability and health is the only thing that should matter. Breed them for those reasons, not because you want something different or pretty...it is a mere step away from what the Americans are doing and it has not worked out well for them at all.

They've still not learnt though and continue to breed for dilutions and weird markings. Their ferts are considered 'old' at three years of age, many are deaf, etc.

Personally BEW father/daughter would be too close for me. If it was a poley mating you would likely be fine, but with BEWs you are already working with weakened genetic stock. Too much chance of something deleterious being bought up IMO. Dilution genes in ferrets are well known to go hand in hand with health problems. Even if they are not 'outwardly' deformed they still may have internal problems, such as a malabsorption of nutrients, or a shorter lifespan. The last BEW I had developed congenital eye tumours at six years of age, as did his litter mate. Put both out of their misery not long ago. The point is that some effects can not be seen until later in life and may become fixed in the line just as much as the colours you are looking for and by then it is too late.

For God's sake man, re-evaluate your breeding goals. You want BEWs because everyone else has 'normal' colours? To be perfectly honest that is a piss poor reason to breed. Not having a go, just being completely honest with you on this. I have a very similar opinion on lurchers as well. If people are worrying about colour then they are not worrying about the right things and have their priorities mixed up.

theres line breeding then inbreeding linebreeding can produce faults as the lines the same so they hAVE THE SAME faults breeding to closely inbreeding creates the faults thats natures way of warning theres tons of ferrets up n down the country all difrent coulors and size get in what you want even just borrow a hob or buy a new jill just my opinion not an expert

Inbreeding does not 'create' faults as such, it simply brings the 'rubbish into view', so to speak. The traits exist, they are simply hidden. The reoccurance of certain genes [which is more likely in related animals, as they are more likely to have similar genetics] will make the traits manifest. Which is fine if you are willing to cull extremely hard to remove the deleterious traits, so that only the desired traits remain...but honestly, to do that just for colour is ridiculous.

Now if it was some trait that gave an animal a distinct working or health advantage...

Outcrossing on the other hand, because the animals likely have different genetics, will 'bury' bad traits so they won't manifest. They are still there and all, but are not 'active'.

But I agree with your post all in all. There's no need for this chap to be inbreeding for such trivial goals and he ought to choose a good sturdy outcross.

Inbreeding does not 'create' faults as such, it simply brings the 'rubbish into view', so to speak. The traits exist, they are simply hidden. The reoccurance of certain genes [which is more likely in related animals, as they are more likely to have similar genetics] will make the traits manifest. Which is fine if you are willing to cull extremely hard to remove the deleterious traits, so that only the desired traits remain...but honestly, to do that just for colour is ridiculous.

Now if it was some trait that gave an animal a distinct working or health advantage...

Outcrossing on the other hand, because the animals likely have different genetics, will 'bury' bad traits so they won't manifest. They are still there and all, but are not 'active'.

But I agree with your post all in all. There's no need for this chap to be inbreeding for such trivial goals and he ought to choose a good sturdy outcross.

Totally agree with everything you have said, the big question for me is why has anyone had to breed for the last 6 years , i appreciate folks like to breed to replenish there stock, but every year seems excessive for anyone unless there loss of working stocks high in which case why :hmm: