Whippet lovers

its funny to see how people wnat the big whippets as they think they are more capable, and Iv seen som really fiesty big harted dogs that will take and have ago on anything.

Tom

I totally agree Thomas, bigger doesn't always mean better. As you know i prefer a whippet with good bone, one that can take a knock or two in the field and just shake it off. I wouldn't want a whippet at 22-23" though as i believe you lose the early pace, just what whippets are known for..

It's a real shame that some folk seem to be favouring and breeding 22"+ whippets, some of which don't actually look like whippets. Some have apple heads and usually strong heads.

There are a few of us that do try and breed to the standard, Elgadane,pennymeadow,and highisland to name a few.

I was at the uk working whippet club lurecoursing and show at Malton last April, there were some excellent whippets there from the above breeding 90% of which were of the correct size.

Jess the first whippet bitch i owned was 21" and 35lb, i used her for lamping,ferreting and coursing(before the ban) although she was a good worker, Vixen her daughter is a much better catch dog as she has far more early pace as she is smaller (20" and 30lb), she gets back on the rabbits much quicker after a turn than jess did on the lamp. Vixen is more nimble too,being able turn on a sixpence.

mally dont take this wrong way,,,,iam just intrested, on the weight u put up off ur dogs,,,

21 inch 35lb to me seems on the heavy side,,,i have a fawn whippet u helped elsie deliver,,( buddy ) ,if not racing weight ,,,his weight is about 33/34lb ( he,s 22 inch )

so u can understand my question,,,,just trying to get a better understanding off the diffrent type off whippets,,,,

do u think ??? thats because ped whippets a heavier boned,,,????? ( u see buddys what we call a lead weight in the racing game , big boned and built )

zac my 28lber just over 21 1/2 inch,,again well bulit for his size,,i,e not skinny,,,,but not thick boned or bulit like buddy

( vixen 20 inch but 30lb,,,,but look,s in shape,,i,e not fat at all )

its just when u put ur dogs weights up it got me thinking,,,,,,i know in racing game we bring weight right down ,,hunting game they will keep them up,,,,,,but i keep fat sort off whippets,,,lol,,,,,

( just got me thinking as ,,most working ped,s only put up height,,,and not weight,,and i noticed there seemed to be a varyation ),,,,,excuse the spelling mistakes lol

Hi Mate, a kc(pedigree) whippet have a heavier bone than there non ped cousins mate, and racing weight will always be lower than working weight. Elise the breeder to the pup i delivered for you will tell you what condition my dogs are in. I keep them well toned and at a wieght they run well. In the summer months i keep vixen at about 29lbs, but in the winter when she's really fit her wieght increases to around 30-301/2lb. I give vixen a few runs at maltby wrc throughout the summer months to keep her something like fit,they can't believe how much more she weighs compared to the non ped whippets lol.

If i was showing my whippets at KC shows then i would have to put even more weight on them to come anywhere, as 90% of dogs at these shows are fat and over weight. I don't show at these shows though as the first time i did with my blue bitch tilly, the judge told me that i had to stop working her as she had too much muscle tone to do well in the show ring, Surely a dog should look as though it's capable of doing the job it was originally bred for....

thankz mally,,,,i thought they might be heavier boned but wasnt to sure,,, :thumbs:

reason i asked when seen weight of ur old bitch 35lber to my 28lber whipe/patri both roughly same size,,,,i thought bloody hell if he was 35lb he wouldnt run to well,,he woluld sit on sofa all day and not move lol

i thought kc whippets with deeper chest might add more weight,as the frame,,,compared to the nonpeds,,,thnkz for the reply :thumbs:

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

why the dog for sale   You got some cracking dogs darren   Tom

I havn't been on for a few days, i don't actually live on the forums like alot of folk, but i did come on last night but just to pm someone as i'm visiting him tonight.   First thing first you seem

I've seen this bitch in the flesh and she's a real credit to you mate, in fact all your dogs are a credit to you. I'll see you later mate, don't forget to get the kettle on about 11pm

Posted Images

you got any full body pics of your little bitch "brother" she looks a handy little tool to have well done on the dig mate....full marks to that brave little bitch

will do mate give me a day, she has only been of her pups 5 weeks lol

heres my dog out of glen given by my uncle who has the dam she takes all quarry has taken roe

heart to take fox understand what you sayin aboout big whippets butr by god my dog is one tough dog the dam was 19.5tts shoulder the sire 22 my dog perfect for me at 21.1/2 persenal choice play a big part in we wantpost-37322-126356628722_thumb.jpg

Edited by johnbob

its just that mallys old bitch 21inch 35lb,,,,to my 28lber,,,27lb when racing,,,roughly same size,,,but 8/7lb diffrence,,,,in them,,,i thought wow thats quite alot 25% diffrence in weight,,,, between a ped and a non ped,,,,,,( it might be a splash off grey going threw the non peds,,makes the taller,,than the peds,,,( i thought a 1st peds might be heavier boned,,,not to sure )

i think it was intresting to see the weight diffrence ,,,,in ped and non ped,,,looks like their even more apart than i previouly thought :thumbs:

Me thinks Mally has lost the first inch off his tape measure!! :yes::thumbs:

Edited by Where you be too?

its just that mallys old bitch 21inch 35lb,,,,to my 28lber,,,27lb when racing,,,roughly same size,,,but 8/7lb diffrence,,,,in them,,,i thought wow thats quite alot 25% diffrence in weight,,,, between a ped and a non ped,,,,,,( it might be a splash off grey going threw the non peds,,makes the taller,,than the peds,,,( i thought a 1st peds might be heavier boned,,,not to sure )

i think it was intresting to see the weight diffrence ,,,,in ped and non ped,,,looks like their even more apart than i previouly thought :thumbs:

Me thinks Mally has lost the first inch off his tape measure!! :yes::thumbs:

Whats that supposed to feckin mean. Jess was 21" and Vixen is 20" (just measured her) anyone who's seen vixen will confirm her size...

4 posts mate have you come on just to cause trouble??? have you ever seen any of my dogs in the flesh???

:clapper::clapper:

Glad you think it's funny lads, i'll tell you both this i hope it never happens to you. You would probably just leave the dog to feckin drown especally when one of you has only just come out of nappies but claim to know everything about whippets...

I did what anyother genuine dog lad would have done, admittingly it was stupid but i saved the dog all the same...

It's strange how some folks get a kick out of other folks misfortunes, just goes to show how single minded and childish they are i suppose... Just one thing i've got to say to you lads.... i hope your next shit is a feckin hedgehog :clapper: