deerhound x greyhounds

I'm also looking at getting deerhound/greyhound x, but when breeding is there away of breeding to make sure you get rough haired or is just down to pot luck?

I have it in a book somewhere that 1st cross Deerhound x greyhound is ALWAYS smooth if both sides are pure bred. Second cross you can get rough coats.

well the ones I saw 95% of them were broken coat, to rough coat, they were a very common breed in those days the Saluki, was not around then,

and to reduce the size, they had grey/deer x bedlington/grey, that also was a common breed, advertised, in the exchange and mart every thursday, and also a lot of men wanted a dog with a rough coat,((( they thought they were harder bred dogs,

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My pup is a genuine 1st x, Doxhope Knights Errant x Rivington Eva; and she is rough coated. Cheers.

You won't regret getting this cross. Don't work it hard too early, let it mature slowly. Good nose, feet and easy on the eye as well.

Posted Images

I'm also looking at getting deerhound/greyhound x, but when breeding is there away of breeding to make sure you get rough haired or is just down to pot luck?

I have it in a book somewhere that 1st cross Deerhound x greyhound is ALWAYS smooth if both sides are pure bred. Second cross you can get rough coats.

Wrong :thumbdown:

i have a litter brother to chartpolski bitch and he is a big black broken coat dog 27 tt 57lbs ill get some photos up soon the lad who breed them has 2 left

Mine is 26" and 53lb; she's gonna be a big bitch ! I'd like to see a pic of your dog. If I had went for a dog, I would have picked the big, black, rough one with the wide chest, maybe thats the one you got ?

Cheers.

Not trying to Hijack your post noddy10, but could someone say what they add to the cross please?

I would reccomend this cross to anyone.

I don't own one myself now as the size draws to much attention, they'r only drawback.

To answer your question,it adds everything in one dog that you would have to mix with all the other breeds rolled in to one.

I have seen quite a few of this cross run [bANNED TEXT] i used to run a small coursing club in the late 70s to the mid 80s most of the noted deerhound crosses that were very good were always those that had been bred back to collie hybreds.It used to be the case if a said dog looked like say a deer/grey it was called one for coveinience.atb dell

i was after your brindle bitch but was to late lol as bill said he wanted to keep her and when i got there from hampshire she had gone so i picked the big dog ill post you my number if you want as only have photos on phone at the moment

i owned a 2nd cross to 2nd cross bought off dave platt at 7 weeks old turned out a stunner 27 ins tts very obedient ant top class on rabbits and hares night and day if theres any used to run with the east of england club they will remember her [RIO] first class strike took 3 out of three daytime more than once plenty of speed and stamina and could jump like a stag clearing anything in her way but funnily enough would not take big stuff of any kind would course them ok but would not take them down but as i said top class on rabbits and hares on small feilds or the biggest of fens .

i was after your brindle bitch but was to late lol as bill said he wanted to keep her and when i got there from hampshire she had gone so i picked the big dog ill post you my number if you want as only have photos on phone at the moment

As soon as Bill told me there was one brindle bitch, I told him to keep it for me and I drove down from Newcastle the next day ! She is shaping up exactly as I thought she would. Very forward, in fact she tries to bully the other dogs already, at 23 weeks !

Cheers.

• 1 month later...