Boars in Oz

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Here's another pix. This was a lamb killer we were asked to find. We walked in three ks because the clever pigs know the sound of a hunting vehicle and bolt at the first sound of a dog clip. Dog in the pix is Kevin (RIP).

nedandkevin55kglambkillkd6.jpg

And about us being game...if the dog has enough ticker, the hunter doesn't need much...

Cheers.

Edited by Ned Makim

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

(I'll just make the point again that we don't stand around taking photos of dogs on pigs. The photos are the best of hundreds that are shot on the run in to grab the pig. To stand around risks injury

The APDHA (Australian Pig Doggers and Hunters Association) had its annual general meeting withiun striking range of my place at the weekend and one of my mates (Steve) from had driven 14 hours to the

I'd only have one dog that big. Most of mine are around 3o kgs. As for getting them upset...be almost impossible mate. The whole concept of pig dogs is to have them determined but manageable. You can'

Posted Images

And a scenic shot...

Pix is of Paul watching Russell have a poke around in some darby's oats. Unusual country for us. Long, long grass, open and not steep at all. Very easy to get around and looks like it might be best suited to the quad. Wet morning too as you can see from the mist and low cloud. Pic taken at about 7.30am.

paulemuhill5sep08is1.jpg

Cheers.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey man - what make up are the dogs? the one on the left in the first pic has got a head like a bucket! :icon_eek: Good work! You seem to get some pretty big hauls - how many pigs are around and how large an area do you hunt?

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Here's another pix. This was a lamb killer we were asked to find. We walked in three ks because the clever pigs know the sound of a hunting vehicle and bolt at the first sound of a dog clip. Dog in the pix is Kevin (RIP).

nedandkevin55kglambkillkd6.jpg

And about us being game...if the dog has enough ticker, the hunter doesn't need much...

Cheers.

I think you are being a bit humble there Ned, I know a few guys that would stand back from a fox latched on to their dog [PRE BAN ] never mind a pig like that, Pre ban's a British thing that you Aussies don't have to worry about,I see the bush fires have started over there, I hope your not affected by them, atb W G H

Here's a dodgy pix from son Paul's phone (camera batteries flat). It's the best from another seven pig run on Saturday night. The bloke in the photo is a mate of mine and Paul's, Simon. He has a few of our dogs...

Good rough boar found by Molly and Hannah but he broke from them and was stopped by Tess. Good tusk on this side but the other tip was broken. No big problems for the dogs.

Cheers.

photo0041g.jpgw216.png

day ned think ive spoke to you on realhunters sorry to hear about kevin [rip]

blogs looking good. :thumbs:

G'day, I remember that. And thanks for your comment re Kevin. He lives on in his pups out of Hannah though.

For anyone interested this is the link to my thread on one of the Oz sites. It has lots more on the dogs and where they come from etc.

http://realhunters."££$$%^&/realhunters-thread5528-0.html

Cheers.

Edited by Ned Makim

Hey man - what make up are the dogs? the one on the left in the first pic has got a head like a bucket! :icon_eek: Good work! You seem to get some pretty big hauls - how many pigs are around and how large an area do you hunt?

The dogs go back to wolfhound English bully, Eng mastiff and Dane but are nothing like that size. They are bred for work...

You can have dry runs (no pigs) or get 20. It all depends on season and the pig habits in that area. We hunt on private property to which we are given access by landholders who want their wild pigs controlled. Some places are small maybe 1000 acres, others are big 640,000 acres. Mostly I spend my time on a 60,000 acre cattle place in the hills.

Here's another pix for you blokes. When I look around this site I would just love to show you the rabbits and foxes over here. They are everywhere and all the landholders want them gone. We don't mix the bag, just stick to pigs because it's simpler to manage the dogs if they are only allowed to grab (or show interest in...) one animal.

So on to the pix, on one property we hunt the foxes follow us about until we gut the pigs. They reach in and take the guts literally from our feet. The dogs sit on the tray of the truck and watch them do it.

p6140352.jpgw640.png

p6140353.jpgw640.png

• Like 1

I think you are being a bit humble there Ned, I know a few guys that would stand back from a fox latched on to their dog [PRE BAN ] never mind a pig like that, Pre ban's a British thing that you Aussies don't have to worry about,I see the bush fires have started over there, I hope your not affected by them, atb W G H

No worries re the fires. Closest fires got to us was 20 kms.

And on boar pigs...if the dog is swinging on a fighting boar and the boar sees you, all his efforts will focus on hitting you. They know you are 'the thing' and they will try to throw the dogs off of course but they want you. Very confronting. The main thing is that the dogs hold the pig once you arrive. Some of ours swing from contact, others grab them and then bail them up until they see or hear you coming. This is a great thing because it means you are running in on a stirred up boar with a much fresher dog attached.

Cheers.

G'day everyone,

Here's a little nature shot, taken a few minutes ago in our garden. We live on an acre that backs onto a 5000 acre national park so you get a fair few natives in the garden. This is a goanna, a monitor lizard and he's about six feet long. They eat carrion, birds eggs etc. They aren't dangerous unless you poke around with them. Under pressure, they want to climb so if your mate is the nearest upright looking thing, the goanna will run to him and climb him. Being climbed by a goanna is a very unnerving experience.

If you grab one they will definitely bite you and the wound is one of those animal bites that won't heal. Suggestions are that the bacteria from carrion in their mouth is the problem. Folklore says the wound reopens every 12 months but that's not correct. It just seems like that because the wound won't go away.

Quite good eating though.

So, here he is up one of the garden trees looking for a bird nest...

goannajan110.jpg

goanna2jan1610.jpg

Cheers.

• Like 2