Boars in Oz

G'day,

I've read a few things about boars and boar hunting on your site so I thought I'd add these from 2009 for interest's sake. The dogs are our own family (Makim dogs) and we expect each dog to be able to find, stop and hold whatever boar they meet. Sometimes it means you have one dogs on a boar on his own but a smart dog with heart can do it if you do your bit and get in and put your hands on the boar. Anyway here goes.

That's me with dogs Ted and Stan and two boars we caught at the same time 50m apart.

norjul29527am.jpg

Son Paul with a couple of boars. The dog is Betty.

382d.jpg

dsc0049rym.jpg

The dog in this pix is Donna. She caught this one.

sdowndonnasboarjul509.jpg

Ted got this one.

sbogiestubbleboar3may14.jpg

Bob (Ted's brother got this one.

sundown7309.jpg

Cheers

• Like 2

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

(I'll just make the point again that we don't stand around taking photos of dogs on pigs. The photos are the best of hundreds that are shot on the run in to grab the pig. To stand around risks injury

The APDHA (Australian Pig Doggers and Hunters Association) had its annual general meeting withiun striking range of my place at the weekend and one of my mates (Steve) from had driven 14 hours to the

I'd only have one dog that big. Most of mine are around 3o kgs. As for getting them upset...be almost impossible mate. The whole concept of pig dogs is to have them determined but manageable. You can'

Posted Images

Son Paul celebrated his 24th birthday in October with a 10 pig haul including two good boars.

Hannah holds one of the boars. (We don't stand off taking pix on the battle. Paul just clicks as he runs in and whatever comes out, comes out. This method has produced some outstanding shots when cropped etc).

oct1109paulsbdayboar1na.jpg

Paul and Hannah and their catch.

oct1109paulsbdayboar2na.jpg

Our mate Simon and Tess one of our dogs bred by another mate of ours Scotty.

oct1109paulsbdayboar4na.jpg

The boars on the truck.

oct1109paulsbdayboar3na.jpg

Paul with Stan.

north09july29521am.jpg

Me with Gina and Mary

north09aug2613am.jpg

Paul with Mary.

north09july25107am.jpg

The dogs find the pigs and grab them and then the hunter either rolls the pig and ties it up or kills it with a knife. We might have four dogs on the truck but only one or two are free to hunt out at any time.

Cheers.

Thanks mate,

Here's another pix of Hannah working.I bred her and she works for my son Paul. She has also produced a litter of pups that has made an outstanding start.

Very happy with them. Hannah is an energetic and effective finder and she has a ton of guts. Lovely passive bitch the rest of the time...

Cheers.

chev77hannahjun1309.jpg

nice looking dogs doing some good hard work there mate :notworthy:

whats the average weight of the ones in the pics? they all look to be over 100kg! and some good tusks there too( if the same as in europe where 2/3 are inside the jaw?).

on a couple of the pics the dogs have ear holds is that something they have learned? lots of pack"stoppers" use this to draw them to a halt but soon let go when they learn they are at the wrong end :boxing: ( i have worked boar with terriers and they tend to latch on anywhere :boxing: the best holds have been the snout,balls,tail. obviously we need more dogs to cover).

i hope to see some more of the same pics mate.

atb and merry xmas to you and yours.

• Like 1

The pigs in the pix would probably average about 70 kgs to 80 kgs dressed weight.

The dogs grab the ear or the cheek and hang on. They don't care they are at the pointy end. That's the point of the dog. With the boar held like that it leaves the back end free for the hunter to grab. We grab the back leg and then either stick the pig in the chest standing or flip him over to tie him up or stick him in from the throat into his chest. It's fairly physical.

This is a 94 (dressed weight) Russell (the dog) stopped in the sorghum about the beginning of April 2008. We got four for the morning after a sneaky walk-in at about 4.30am.

p3290182ty6.jpg

Cheers.