1oo % stock broken

Honestly lads,i dont believe that a couple of working terriers off their leads can be stock broken.

another thl classic and caomplete and utter bullshit.a dog off the couples should behave the same on the couples.

domt worry youngsters you should be aiming to have ALL dogs 100% stock broken and it is more the possible.

Nice one wink hound :icon_eek:

Show us a picture of two of your terriers on and off the couples around stock :hmm:

Not being funny bud but why ask a question on the forum if you are only going to knock the answers that go against your opinion?

just because yours are not stock proff it dosn't mean that everybodys are the same,there are a lot of stock broken terriers around pal,Fair dues there are a lot that are not sometimes through wrong dogs some through bad handlers.But to ask a question then knock people who answer with sencible post is just insulting people for the sake of it mate.

Like I say fella I'm not trying to cause a ten page argument and side track your thread just an honest opinion from somebody with stock broken earth dogs.

ATB

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly lads,i dont believe that a couple of working terriers off their leads can be stock broken.

Well you couldnt be more wrong mate!

If you bring them up among livestock and poultry, or otherwise go out of your way to train them, then you will never have any issues at all, with any terrier or breed or dog. Ive always been lucky enough to have livestock and poultry about the place, so the pups just accept them from the word go, and not much training is needed.

100% broken to stock?

I mean a digging terrier not bushing or pet

What’s the difference between bushing dogs or digging dogs they should all be stock broken.

I’ve seen 15 couple of hounds run through a field of turkeys and not even give them a second look. All dogs should bee stock broken if they are not, they should not be working in the field and it is your fault.

I used to leave all my dogs in the same shed as the hens and ducks all day long, the poultry and dogs would wander the farm yard and I never had any bother at all.

If any dog is bad with stock, its down to the handler 100%, and the breed is irrelevant as well. Another thing is that you wont keep your permision long if any of your dogs are seen worrying livestock. The terriers need to be 100% around all stuff... otherwise you will never have it off the lead. :thumbdown:

Its not hard to bring a terrier up to be solid as a rock around stock, so theres no excuses at all.

another thl classic and caomplete and utter bullshit.a dog off the couples should behave the same on the couples.

domt worry youngsters you should be aiming to have ALL dogs 100% stock broken and it is more the possible.

Nice one wink hound :icon_eek:

Show us a picture of two of your terriers on and off the couples around stock :hmm:

ANOTHER THL CLASSIC, "GET YOUR PICS UP." IF YOU SPEND THE RIGHT AMOUNT OF TIME WITH YA TERRIER AND TREAT IT RIGHT AND PUT THE TIME AND EFFORT IN WHILE IT'S YOUNG IT SHOULD BE STOCK BROKEN AND HAVE GOOD RECALL. WHAT ABOUT WHEN ON NEW GROUND? HUNTING UP? LOOKING FOR NEW HOLES? IT'S ALL WELL AND GOOD ON GROUND YA KNOW, BUT TERRIERS FIND MORE HOLES HUNTING UP THAN YOU'D FIND IN A LIFETIME WALKING NEW GROUND. YA CAN'T STICK A DOG IN A PENN AND EXPECT IT TO BE 100% WHEN YA TAKE IT OUT ONCE A WEEK. SPEND TIME WITH YA DOGS GET TO KNOW THEM YA GET A MUTUAL RESPECT IF YA DO.

i had a patterdale which i could 100 percent trust not to even look at chickens ducks turkeys sheep goats cows or horses but would kill a cat in a heartbeat...she was farm reared with the old man, done everything expected and died 3 weeks ago of old age at 17..she was brilliant with other dogs as long as they were good with her but put many a big bully on their backs including a very large alsation whimpering like a bitch...(even the dogs owner laughed at the site of what happened)but as i say was never a problem around other dogs...as has been said, you just have to have enough time and discipline from the early stages of its life...i have two russels/lakeys at the moment one is fine...the other has come close to leaving my kennel..post-17069-126147762791_thumb.jpg

if your dogs aint stock broken then you are not doing a proper job.around our way if they aint stock broken then you would not get on the land.as for pictures of winkhounds dogs then im sure he dont need to put pictures up and im sure he wont on a site like this.

if your dogs aint stock broken then you are not doing a proper job.around our way if they aint stock broken then you would not get on the land.as for pictures of winkhounds dogs then im sure he dont need to put pictures up and im sure he wont on a site like this.

bingo :clapper:

Theres NO excuse for a dog of any breed not being stock broken. Piss poor training pure and simple.

Fully agree. It doesn't take too much work to break a dog to stock. Also ''Earthdogs for me should be kept on the lead right up to they give a mark at a hole so it doesn't matter if they are stock broken or not'' Does this mean that your dogs never go off the lead at all, even when being exercised?

You are all full of shit!! My dog was around cattle from 12 weeks old, my other dogs are bomb proof, all were trained in exactly the same way. My dogs have probably been around cattle more than any other dogs on here(being in the corrals with beef cattle everyday). Not only is mine not stock broken, he will not allow anyone other than myself to take him out on the lead (missus and kids included), he will jump the fence and run up the road after the car if I go out and he is out in the garden. The terriers are NEVER allowed off the leads ANYWHERE other than to go to ground. Too many badger setts around here and I dont need to use terriers to find new earths, Theres better dogs for that. By the way I also have a hell of alot of land to go at and the estate owners (land owners), not just the keepers are more than pleased with the job I do, and the dogs do.

When I say hes not stock broken, what that means is I could if I wanted let him off next to livestock and tell him to leave them, and he will, but if I turned my back and started doing something he would have one of them. Theres a difference between a trained dog that isnt stock broken, and a dog thats not trained and out of control.

As for not being worth his weight in shite as someone put it, the dog might not be, time will tell, but he's had plenty digs so far this season (double figures). I bet that dogs done more so far than alot of dogs will do all year. Stick to your keyboard hunting lads, most of you seem good at that.

You are all full of shit!! My dog was around cattle from 12 weeks old, my other dogs are bomb proof, all were trained in exactly the same way. My dogs have probably been around cattle more than any other dogs on here(being in the corrals with beef cattle everyday). Not only is mine not stock broken, he will not allow anyone other than myself to take him out on the lead (missus and kids included), he will jump the fence and run up the road after the car if I go out and he is out in the garden. The terriers are NEVER allowed off the leads ANYWHERE other than to go to ground. Too many badger setts around here and I dont need to use terriers to find new earths, Theres better dogs for that. By the way I also have a hell of alot of land to go at and the estate owners (land owners), not just the keepers are more than pleased with the job I do, and the dogs do.

When I say hes not stock broken, what that means is I could if I wanted let him off next to livestock and tell him to leave them, and he will, but if I turned my back and started doing something he would have one of them. Theres a difference between a trained dog that isnt stock broken, and a dog thats not trained and out of control.

As for not being worth his weight in shite as someone put it, the dog might not be, time will tell, but he's had plenty digs so far this season (double figures). I bet that dogs done more so far than alot of dogs will do all year. Stick to your keyboard hunting lads, most of you seem good at that.

Nice one diggerman.Coca :duh: cant do it so no one can :whistling:

thats comes back to the point of it being a line fault then. or a fault in the dog.cull and move on. and more importantly why the feck anyone would keep a dog that cant be trusted. there are thousands out there that can that are doing the job.

sounds like a f*****g nightmare to me.