tawney owl

Guest pete evans

found a tawney owl fledgling the other day whilst out shooting. it was in long grass and had fallen out of its nest and was wet and quite lifeless. after a bit of deliberation i took it back to the shed where it was put in a dry warm spot. two days on and its wolfing down minced up pigeon breast like theres no tomorrow.

Anybody on here know the sort of quantities he should be fed or the drill for releasing it when it is ready etc.

all advice appreciated

i'll stick a picture up when it is less traumatised

pete

Guest what a flight

If you keep on feeding it pigeon breast alone it will quickly end up dead,if you can't feed it whole mice or young rats,day old chicks {most pet shops sell all these for snake food} add a calcium/vitamin supplement such as SA37 to the pigeon :good: .....

W A F........

If you intend to release it later on Pete I would make sure it does'nt see you with the food, assuming it is at the stage were it can feed itself. If you could use a blind like a sheet of cardboard to prevent it from seeing you providing the food, or replace the food while the owl is sleeping, otherwise if owls are like other raptors, it will become imprinted on humans and not only have no fear of them but could even become aggressive when hungry.

Where is Jasper when you need him? :rolleyes:

Guest pete evans

ive bought some pinkies and some chicks. it still needs to be fed but eats well it had 5 pinkies and a pigeon breast already today will give it some chick when they thaw. im keeping out of sight as much as possible. thanks for the advice.

do you think i should feed exclusively chicks or a mixture of meat and chick.

regards

pete

I would think that mice and voles would be the natural prey of tawny owls therefore the whole carcass diet of pinkies and chicks would be closer to the normal menu, with the small bones in every meal. Mice and other rodents have a higher protein content than chicks but are also more expensive. Follow WAFs advice about the dusting of SA37 if you run out and need to rely on just muscle meat for a feed.

How about making a photo diary of your progress for the lads???