Woodburning Stoves

Hi,

I treated myself to a woodburning stove a few weeks ago, it's fantastic and well worth the hassle of installing it, and all the blood sweet and tears that went with it !

Having now, run it it! I was wondering if there were any experienced woodburning stove users on here, that could give me an idea of how to do an over-night burn? I cant seem to master it, it either dies because I closed it up to much, or burns the wood, and goed out naturaly.

As ever, any hints or tips would be much appreciated!

ATB

Tom

Hi,

I treated myself to a woodburning stove a few weeks ago, it's fantastic and well worth the hassle of installing it, and all the blood sweet and tears that went with it !

Having now, run it it! I was wondering if there were any experienced woodburning stove users on here, that could give me an idea of how to do an over-night burn? I cant seem to master it, it either dies because I closed it up to much, or burns the wood, and goed out naturaly.

ATB

Tom

Large pieces of dry hard wood(oak, apple, etc) on a slowburn.

How big is your stove?

Hi there mate you cant beat a wood burning stove. We have a large Morso and when at full capacity it can heat the whole of our downstairs and we have 14ft ceilings! We find the best way to keep it going through the night is to stock it up with dry wood and add some smokeless coal (providing its a multi fuel stove you have), wind the vents in almost shut and then it should just be case of opening the vents in the morning. Give it a bash. atb andri

Hi,

ATB

Tom

Large pieces of dry hard wood(oak, apple, etc) on a slowburn.

How big is your stove?

Hi there mate you cant beat a wood burning stove. We have a large Morso and when at full capacity it can heat the whole of our downstairs and we have 14ft ceilings! We find the best way to keep it going through the night is to stock it up with dry wood and add some smokeless coal (providing its a multi fuel stove you have), wind the vents in almost shut and then it should just be case of opening the vents in the morning. Give it a bash. atb andri

Hi,

Its a fairly large stove (8kw) and I am clearly not putting large enough pieces of wood in overnight, and the suggestion of smokeless coal might just do the trick!

Thanks alot.

ATB

Tom

Since I installed mine 2 years ago, we don't need the central heating on.

It heats the whole house and we leave all the internal doors open to reap the full benefit.

I have never mastered a night slow burn either, but it's so easy to clean and relight that it doesn't bother me.

I stock it last thing and my 4 dogs curl up in front of it until morning.

Heres what we do with ours, works and burns perfect. Got ours fitted early this year and i am sat infront of it right now.

Scrunch tight balls of newspaper til the bottom is layered

Lay 2-3 small pieces of firelighters in

Place 6-7 pieces of coal in

and lay sticks, the type you get at a local petrol station in a bag

this is just to start it off, so open the top vent right up. Once it is going then start topping it up with logs when you feel the need.

atb Jack W

If you can put large pieces of wood in rather than lots of small pieces and turn down the draft to minimum you may be lucky, but it is hard to make it last all night. Any way the heat in your place will last and lighting it is half the fun :thumbs:.

Do you know what wood you're using?

got a 12 kw in the kitchen which heats the bungalow and a small 7 kw in the lounge which is lit when we are in there.never use the heating full stop.stock it up with large dry logs or put some coal on and shut the vents,it should burn all night.its more fun to get up in the morning and light the burner and sit in front with a brew whilst it gets warm though.

It's been said but even if you rely on wood it is well work getting a bag or two of coal just to keep it ticking over at night or when you go out.

There always seems to be point of no return when big ,hard logs -despite having cheerfully smouldered all night- just refuse to perk-up in the morning when you open the vents .

i carnt add any more to what the others have said. i miss the wood burners from my old cottage. we have open fires in my new cottage i just need to find a woodburner at a good price

Hi,

Thanks again for the advice, I have been out and bought some coal, and will give it a go tonight, so watch this space!

@-Hound - I found mine on eBay, I will try and find the seller I bought it from, and pass on his details, he had loads in stock, and was cheap, and Iam delighted with mine,

ATB

Tom

Let the ash build up a bit to get a good bed in there,used wood burners of all sorts in trucks and trailers i used to live in for 15+ years.Takes a little while to get the hang of a new burner but once sussed it ain't hard.Trial and error sort of thing but your'll get there in the end,what make and sort is it?.

I fitted this multi fuel and fire place a few years ago ...it is a good bit of kit and the heat that comes of it is far superior than a standard coal fire...it heats the hole of the downstairs of the house.....for keeping it burning all night what I do is let it burn untill it hot embers then put big hard wood unsplit limbs rather than split ones and just fill up the stoves with as much as you can shut in the drafts ....get up in the morning & open them up ...do this most nights in the winter it keeps the house toastie

post-23537-126129683318_thumb.jpg