Best breed of dog for all round work.

Just starting this for bit of crack really, what does everyone think is the best cross or breed of dog for all round work. Meaning lamping, ferreting, retrieving hares and fox (day or night). And I mean testing their working ability's aswell not just 5 or 6 rabbits on the lamp I mean 20 to 30 rabbits, good at working with ferrets, also being able to kill hares on most land(pre ban) and a dog that doesn't mind mixing it with the toothed quarry(pre ban). I prefer Bitza's they are usually good dogs for all round work. Obviously there are dog's that excel at certain task such as the Bull x for the fox, saluki x's for the daytime, collie x's for ferreting and lamping same with the beddy x's. But alot of these dog's mentioned are one trick pony's, obviously not all of these are like this but most. That's why I like Lurcher x Lurcher, mainly a mix of all those crosses mention, best of all worlds really. Like I say just for a bit of crack and to see what other people prefer.

Cheers GS :notworthy:

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i understand what your saying mate the thing is not really sure how many people can really say they got the perfect all rounder,i lamp shoot and ferret,so my dogs suit my particular needs,very good at what they do but my bull x is defo no hare dog lol prob bust a gut trying though,she kill a ferret soon as look at it so had to invest in a 3/4grey 1/4 collie wich i hope will be my allrounder for the type of hunting i do.

be nice to see people personel opinions and a few pics of said all round dogs :thumbs:

Just starting this for bit of crack really, what does everyone think is the best cross or breed of dog for all round work. Meaning lamping, ferreting, retrieving hares and fox (day or night). And I mean testing their working ability's aswell not just 5 or 6 rabbits on the lamp I mean 20 to 30 rabbits, good at working with ferrets, also being able to kill hares on most land(pre ban) and a dog that doesn't mind mixing it with the toothed quarry(pre ban). I prefer Bitza's they are usually good dogs for all round work. Obviously there are dog's that excel at certain task such as the Bull x for the fox, saluki x's for the daytime, collie x's for ferreting and lamping same with the beddy x's. But alot of these dog's mentioned are one trick pony's, obviously not all of these are like this but most. That's why I like Lurcher x Lurcher, mainly a mix of all those crosses mention, best of all worlds really. Like I say just for a bit of crack and to see what other people prefer.

Cheers GS notworthy.gif

clapper.gifthumbs.gif You have said it all the BITZA for allround work cannot be beaten by any f1x or 3 quarter bred.My best allround lurchers have been [bANNED TEXT] a good coursing dog has been bred to a good lamping bitch.atb dell

There's always the if with the saluki x's and the tooted quarry though, i personally do more lamping than out else so my dogs aren't out and out hare killers in the daytime or fox dogs but they still get there fair share, my mate's got a saluki x that could probly kill a hare infront of mine in the day, but when it come to charlie once it meets a pearly white squeels like a banshee haha. another mate of mine had a beddy/grey was only any good at lamping bunnys and ferreting. So when we went for a ratch about in the daytime he had to aquire a new dog to be able to perform to a decent standard but the new dog he got wasnt able to put a shift in at retreiving charlie. So he got another dog haha, i kept trying to tell him to get a dog off working parents doing all the things he asks for in a dog and he will have more of a chance of getting an allrounder instead of a different dog for each job.

personally my best all round dog was a brindle bitch greyhound what run of rails are real strang dog a put that over my black and white bull greyhound saluki collie there made really strang dogs dident really test it on day time hares pre ban but got plenty of rabbits and hares at night and wudent be shy on the rest of the quarry

i dont think there is a lurcher that is a master off all,you might get somthing that can do it all but certain things it can only do very average or below average if you know what i mean.

with you saying realy tested ginny spinner i think alot would of failed if they were seeing pearly whites week in week out pre ban.

as for what cross?maybe some freak of a bitsa or somthing lol

personally my best all round dog was a brindle bitch greyhound what run of rails are real strang dog a put that over my black and white bull greyhound saluki collie there made really strang dogs dident really test it on day time hares pre ban but got plenty of rabbits and hares at night and wudent be shy on the rest of the quarry

I can remember that la brindle bitch ran rails well :thumbs: . I don't think I remember that black and white dog was it a good la mooching dog, like one for the pot lol ?