I love pipes!!!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

pipes and snow are great, got advice of a terrier man one time when starting out that walk every field and check every earth with young dogs because if you had no experienced dog to tell you something was home at least you could have a good guess from the prints and encourage the pup.

worked for me and brought on my first terrier

Not ment as a dig mate just my opinion on working pipes over many years they are a great place to enter pups to FOX imo.

In that case thank you, no offence taken. :good:

Not all pipes as someone else has already said are easy. Some are half full of flowing freezing water. Some are as tight as a "nuns nasty". Some stretch far across fields that are many acres wide.

And yet I've dug earths not 6" deep and also bolted fox from "good" earths before terrier's tail has disapeared and yet spent many hours on the same one's digging deep. Even bolted fox before when out ferreting!!!

In general I will agree with you because the pipes here are mainly short gateway pipes 6-10 yard long and I'm happy if one's using these easy pipes but the ones I've posted about were far from easy or short!!! And as you will see from photos the terriers met our friend head on and persuded him to leave by using force. I call that a result and am happy, more to the point the landowner is happy so enforcing my relationship and permissions on his and adjoining farms.

[quote steve you know yourself even a strong black dog can have its work cut out to push a big dog fox out of a pipe just because it black dont mean its easier and iv got blacks so i think i can say that and we both know some hard coloured dogs that have to work for it at times lol :whistling:

Pipes and 'artificials', ideal places for letting youngsters get amongst it, especially now with these long range finders that are about. No Roots, or too many tight bends or narrow spots.....put to ground by Hounds on a wet January afternoon calls for a 'seasoned' dog.

Nice to find 3 to ground and good result for the Landowner, keep the permission happy!

OF COURSE YOU ENSURED THE OTHER END OF THE PIPE WAS OPEN TO ALLOW A BOLT...... :angel:

i'm no expert but would not say that pipes in general are easy pickings for younger dogs.

long or short pipes can be hard work,imagine the feat a dog must bring when meeting reynard head on in a 20cm pipe when another fox is behind the first? or a bigger pipe where the fox can turn?

as for not deep the pipes are normally laid under the plough and you can guarantee if you need to open it up it will be under a tree at one end or the other.

the guy put up a post about his dogs in this situation and is obviously proud of thier achievment(as i would be too!). good looking dogs doing good work which is not to belittle imho.

whether plummer/border/russel or fell its the job that counts and they do it.

good on the dogs and the man.

fox will spin round in nine inch pipes no bother ..Always remember a terrierman having a pop at me many years ago ..Hounds had pushed one to ground in a drain across a field ,Huntsman wanted it bolted (pre ban) a certain way because of a main road..I dropped the dog in opposite end to the one the fox had entered ..This (terrierman) had a fit saying that fox will be facing the terrier ???? He wouldnt grasp that a fox can turn easily in a nine inch pipe .