reverse 3/4 collie greyhound

Just wondering what experience anybody has had with the reverse 3/4 either border or beardie greyhound mix. I expect that there not out there speed wise but as genuine mouching dogs i would be intersted to hear comments.

Any pics welcome, also what height are they about.

Edited by wuyang

Just wondering what experience anybody has had with the reverse 3/4 either border or beardie greyhound mix. I expect that there not out there speed wise but as genuine mouching dogs i would be intersted to hear comments.

ye i guess they would make a decent dogs but i would rather get a half collie x then you have the best both ways i.e still got the brains and also quick enough incase you do see owt when out mouching :thumbs:

ye i guess they would make a decent dogs but i would rather get a half collie x then you have the best both ways i.e still got the brains and also quick enough incase you do see owt when out mouching :thumbs:

Spot on :thumbs: 1/2 collie is more than enough :yes:

I had a 3/4 beardie/border 1/4 greyhound from Hancock's third litter of Richard x Linnet. I bought him as an adult and he'd already done some lamping (I think) and caught daytime rabbits as well as a neighbour's peafowl which were all retrieved live to hand.

As mentioned above, they're not particularly fast, but then again, most collies can still catch the occasional rabbit. I really liked him but have to admit that this was more down to his character than his hunting prowess. He was a great, fun dog with endless stamina and amazing feet and skin but not up to the rabbiting potential of a half bred in most instances I'd guess.

On one occasion he followed a fox through a field full of dense nettles with a half bred beardie x greyhound. The bitch spent the rest of the day rubbing her eyes but he was uneffected due to the thickness of the hair around his eyes. On another occasion he got caught up in a trailing length of barbed wire; he simply gave a grunt and pulled himself free. I checked both him and the wire but only a tuft of coat had come out.

If you're thinking of going for one, there are a few people on this forum who occasionaly breed them I think. Good luck with whatever choice you make. :thumbs:

Edited by Neal

I own and work a reverse threequarter fell collie greyhound, she stands at 20.5 inches tall, and weighs about 36 pound, she is very racey, and light boned, and she is very fast for this cross, and as endless stamina, she as a good coat, decent feet, a sound temperament, a decent nose, and exceptional prey drive, she is now 8 years old, but she still doing her job well, and she hasn,t slowed down to much, the problem with this cross is people use the wrong types of collies to produce a decent type that is light boned and racey, you need to use a leggy hil type or fell type collie, like the old nap type that is short coated and is fleet of foot, you also need a first cross that is out of a similar type collie the type of first cross that is short coupled and racey around the 22/ 24 inch mark, if you use the right types like iv,e just mentioned you stand a good chance of producing a nice racey type like my old bitch kim, this cross as alot to offer and they make decent versatile dogs in the right hands. regards collie john.

I have one of these crosses that was from Hancock. He is 18 months old. He is keen but with a steady temperament and is a tough hardy dog. There is no doubt that this type of cross suits my lifestyle but i've got to be honest and say that he has his faults and i doubt whether i would buy this type of cross from Hancock again. He's very fit and will run with me in the mountains all day but as a hunting dog he lacks a bit. Whilst he is only young and i'll be the first to admit I've probably made mistakes with him there isn't the initial burst of acceleration required to hunt in smaller fields where i live.While his coat is thick and keeps him warm it mats and tangles with every bit of undergrowth he touches. Like the look of your crosses Collie John.

I believe a dog is for keeps so he won't be going anywhere. But you live and learn!

I have one of these crosses that was from Hancock. He is 18 months old. He is keen but with a steady temperament and is a tough hardy dog. There is no doubt that this type of cross suits my lifestyle but i've got to be honest and say that he has his faults and i doubt whether i would buy this type of cross from Hancock again. He's very fit and will run with me in the mountains all day but as a hunting dog he lacks a bit. Whilst he is only young and i'll be the first to admit I've probably made mistakes with him there isn't the initial burst of acceleration required to hunt in smaller fields where i live.While his coat is thick and keeps him warm it mats and tangles with every bit of undergrowth he touches. Like the look of your crosses Collie John.

I believe a dog is for keeps so he won't be going anywhere. But you live and learn!

Fairplay to you pal, Ian, i take it your dog is a beardie/ border reverse threequarter, i,ve had no experience of this cross, but this cross produces a bigger boned heavier coated type of dog, that isn,t as fleet of foot than the border reverse threequarter, how big does your dog stand, and is he heavy in build. regards collie john.

Fairplay to you pal, Ian, i take it your dog is a beardie/ border reverse threequarter, i,ve had no experience of this cross, but this cross produces a bigger boned heavier coated type of dog, that isn,t as fleet of foot than the border reverse threequarter, how big does your dog stand, and is he heavy in build. regards collie john.

He's 25 inches and about 50 pounds . When shown the sire i was told that there was a small amount of beardie in there but in his coat and his attitude there seems to have thrown more towards a beardie than a border