Hi,

Im going to buy a gas gun soon im not sure of what to buy a 177 or a 22. Speaking to a friend he thinks i should get a .177 as the trajectory Of the pellets are flatter. I Will be using it for shooting mainly bunnys and birds maybe a bit of target shooting. Im probably going to buy the AA 400 or 410. Thanks in advance, James. :hmm:

Hi,

Im going to buy a gas gun soon im not sure of what to buy a 177 or a 22. Speaking to a friend he thinks i should get a .177 as the trajectory Of the pellets are flatter. I Will be using it for shooting mainly bunnys and birds maybe a bit of target shooting. Im probably going to buy the AA 400 or 410. Thanks in advance, James. :hmm:

I would advise you get a .177 much more forgiving trajectory!!

I switched from .177 to .22 and couldnt hit a thing.

But .22 is a great calibre if you learn your trajectory (pellet drop).

But check out some of zini's posts and vids and you will see what a good marksman can do with a .22!!

Again it's all down to personal preference.

The best advice I can give you is if possible get out to your local gun shop or arrange to meet someone and try both options and see which one YOU prefer. Only then will you be satisfied in yourself you made the right choice

Darryl

In my opinion .177 as it has a flatter trajectory and you don't have to guess about holdover as much as you would with a .22 and in my opinion that makes it more forgiving with accuracy, but accuracy for the shot placement for a clean kill becomes more important. Get some prometheus pellets and get blasting . :boxing:

Hi, mate.

Whatever one person says about a caliber, someone else will say something else. It's been a topic for airgunners to argue over that's as old as airgunning!!

The bottom line is either will do the job if you do.

Check out the 'search' function on this site and you'll pull up more contradicting opinions about this subject than any other.

Pointed or domed, anyone?? :whistling:

Cheers.

Edited by andyfr1968

Pointed or domed, anyone?? :whistling:

Iv tryed pointed pellets an found them to be very bad, accuracy wise. will only use domed now :thumbs:

My grandfather told me .22 for fur and .177 for feather, i personally use 22 but am thinking of a change to 177 when i get a new shooter :thumbs:

Atb zak

at legal limits doesnt make that much difference tbh... tecnically theres a better arguement for .22 in power aariving at the taret and a better down range in the wind department....but.....sheesh it's a gnats bollock in it lol.

.177 has an 'easier' tragectry...but does over penatrate a bit at certain ranges (closer too)..

but for both...........it's the one that you like best, the tragectries differ but some people take to one or the other on a 'natuaral' basis, for no other reason than 'they can work with one easier than the other', then every adds in the gnats bollock for the argue ment lol... mines bigger un yours an all that.

the simple question is what can you hit more with.....

ratting a pigon close too, sort of 5-20 yards .22 is very impresive, nails the rat heads there and then with plenty of dramatic noise, but bod shatting rats in .22 sucks plain annd simple (unless your used to to it and can do it).

the main down fall here is the rats wiil, can, and do jump out the way of the slower .22 pellet.........

in .177 theres this instant hit thing going on lol...and rat bod shots sudenly become an extra opertunaty (when you know where to hit, and can hit there).. so my vote is still on a .177.........

the two calibers differ slighty in aproach and timing, if your used to .177 then a .22 feels like you have to shoot ahead in time to antisipate the shot ariving in comparison to the .177... because theres another 100 feet per sec diference in the velocity.. it's a lot quicker.(they are different, therefore it depends which you learn and which suits you). the drop on the .22 becomes greater the further past 30 yards you go...)

in .22 you get 200 pellets a tin... in .177 you get 500 for the same price, in the cold the .177 are small to handle so anything like arthritous .22 or .25 would be easier to handle.

in .22 you'll get up to 20 more shots a fill on a pcp..(usuable shots that is...).

end of the day in the head its dead............what ever caliber.

cliberyx41vn4.jpg

Edited by ghillies

.177 in the right gun has a tendency to over penetrate i have seen numerous birds fly off and drop dead 2 mins later but on the other hand if your going for hft .22's have a habit of clipping branches :thumbdown: its essential in both cases to know your combo completely and be confident in your shot placement at every normal hunting range, no one caliber will do the work for you or make it easier you have to put the effort into every shot and make it count :clapper: