I just got a new lurcher the other day and he's not in peak fitness, he's not had a run since march due to his previous owner working away from home! So my aim is to get him back to peak fitness, any advice welcome guys and also what would yous recomend his ideal running weight is he's a 3/4 greyhound 1/4 collie and 26" cheers lads atb Darren

hia mate i use a tennisw ball an throwing stick on my local green 10 or 12 throws a nite for first couple of nites then three 4 mile road walks thewn a nites lamping to see how they running the tennis ball helps with the strike speed and stamina if not go to your local lure coursing club

hope this helps

atb john bob

Trotting first NOT sprinting unless you want the dog to damage its muscles. Road walk the dog for at least a fortnight EVERY DAY for at least 3 miles. If you can bike the dog so much the better, but do it very slowly to begin with: the dog should be just jogging, not flat out. Remember the pads will be tender too, so too much road pounding will make the pads sore and wear them thin.

Once the dog can do 3 miles at a steady jog without blowing: his tongue should be out a bit but not panting really hard, you can start to do a bit of galloping, but not actually chasing anything. Get him fetching a dummy or ball as well as the trotting work for the next fortnight.

Only when the dog is running about happily for at least half and hour as well as doing the trotting every day can you think about running him on game. But even then you'll have to take things easy for another month. Half a dozen runs on the lamp each time out to begin with, and I'm only talking rabbits here, not long ears.

A lot depends on the dog's build as well: heavily built dogs need more getting fit than a lightly built dog. Can't emphasise too strongly how important it is to build up the dog's fitness slowly: damaged tendons, muscles and lungs/diaphragm all a possibility if you take the dog straight out and run it fast.

1st week 1 hour walks a day gentle pace

2nd week 1hour walks a day gentle pace 2 slips 200 metres

3rd week 2 half hour walks fast pace a day 2 200 metre slips

4th week 2 half hour walks fast pace 3 slips 200 metres

5th week 2 half hour walks gentle pace 3 200 metre slips

6th week ready to go,thats how i would do it walking tones a dog up but youneed to run them as well

Guest rabbiting dave

plenty of free running sum daytime moochithing with the odd little dash on rabbit it will get it self fit feed it good snap and like I say plenty of free runninng and its weight will take care of it self I like to just be able to see the pins good luck with it atb dave

I just got a new lurcher the other day and he's not in peak fitness, he's not had a run since march due to his previous owner working away from home! So my aim is to get him back to peak fitness, any advice welcome guys and also what would yous recomend his ideal running weight is he's a 3/4 greyhound 1/4 collie and 26" cheers lads atb Darren

I have a 3/4 cross at 26". His running weight is between 31.5 and 32.5 kgs, dependant on how much work he is doing... .