Bedlinton whippet vs whippet

Has anyone had experience of working both the whippet and the bedlington whippet cross. I have read much in books saying that the bedlington dosn't bring much to improve on the whippet for working rabbits, but i would like to hear from you guys as to what you think. What would be your opinion on which would provide the best hunt up and catch dog worked in small fields and wooded area. And also do there temperments differ much.

Guest bluemink

the main things the beddy brings are coat, whippet have thin skin that tears easily and they get cold easily. they bring gameness however whippets can be a fiery little breed. the bring nose although again I have and have seen whippets with very good noses. they reduce the speed but add stamina. I have to agree with the book imo beddy brings little to whippets apart from coat. beddy greys are a totally different cross imo.

Guest rabbiting dave

I work beddy whippets and whippets no were as fast as the whippet but can go alot longer beddt whippets in my opinion seem more sly and when there working its like you can see there brain ticking over the whippet is a good rabbit dog mine on the odd time find it hard finding the break

My mate runs a beddy whippet and she is unbelivable on the bunnies in the open and in the thick, i have never seen any dog to run in cover like she does.

She also gets into charlie with no hesitation, in my opinion the beddy whippet is the better of the 2 hands down, cheers.

Luke.

I own a beddy and she is a good little bushing dog and great dog to have around, but i would think twice about having one crossed to a whippet.

The beddy has a narrow front which i feel is not a good trait to put into a lurcher. The skin is good but on most the coat is not great but the my biggest reservation is that beddys can loose the ability to listen when on a scent and the last thing you need in a lurcher is a dog that won't come back very quickly when called.

I know they are tough and have a brilliant nose but I wonder if this is enough to counter th loss of speed the whippet gives you.

I think a 1/4 collie in the mix would give you more than 1/2 beddy for a rabbiting dog.

Guest rabbiting dave

I own a beddy and she is a good little bushing dog and great dog to have around, but i would think twice about having one crossed to a whippet.

The beddy has a narrow front which i feel is not a good trait to put into a lurcher. The skin is good but on most the coat is not great but the my biggest reservation is that beddys can loose the ability to listen when on a scent and the last thing you need in a lurcher is a dog that won't come back very quickly when called.

I know they are tough and have a brilliant nose but I wonder if this is enough to counter th loss of speed the whippet gives you.

I think a 1/4 collie in the mix would give you more than 1/2 beddy for a rabbiting dog.

I disagree mate I gt 2 beddy whippets work great with terriers great on the lamp and can turn on a penny yes I agree they knock some of the speed out but enough to stop them doing the job and mine come straigh back on recall most of your lurcher crosses the speed get knocked out of the pure bred a bit collie x bull x wheaton x but not enough to stop them doing the job atb dave

I have a Beddy / Whippet x Beddy / Whippet.... from good lines originally and good working stock on both sides. She is just 5 months now and seems to be coming on. Recall is good and her retrive is coming on. I can't compare her as I have always had terriers in the past. She is obviously the quickest dog I have owned and can turn on a sixpence. she is just over 16" tts and I hopeing she will get to 17 (her Dam is 17 tts and the sire is 19 tts.) All I want her for is a bit of daytime rabbiting, her and her dam looking a bit light for charlie. Lots of hard work to put in yet but have to say i'm enjoying the expirience

cheers

Edited by Wallop

I disagree mate I gt 2 beddy whippets work great with terriers great on the lamp and can turn on a penny yes I agree they knock some of the speed out but enough to stop them doing the job and mine come straigh back on recall most of your lurcher crosses the speed get knocked out of the pure bred a bit collie x bull x wheaton x but not enough to stop them doing the job atb dave

Dave are your Beddy / whippet first crosses and what bloodlines are they from??? WHAT SEX ARE THEY AND WHAT ARE THEY TTS.... SORRY FOR ALL THE QUESTIONS JUST INTERESTED

Guest rabbiting dave

Dave are your Beddy / whippet first crosses and what bloodlines are they from??? WHAT SEX ARE THEY AND WHAT ARE THEY TTS.... SORRY FOR ALL THE QUESTIONS JUST INTERESTED

ones a first x mate working bedo rambo lines to a non ped whippet she is 21 tt the other one beddyhippet x beddywhippet shes 22 tt 5 year ld and 7 year old both good workers mate got bags of stamina only use them for day time rabbiting and on the lamp never had no problems with live stock found them realy easy to train cant stand cats butI cant do out about that atb dave

ones a first x mate working bedo rambo lines to a non ped whippet she is 21 tt the other one beddyhippet x beddywhippet shes 22 tt 5 year ld and 7 year old both good workers mate got bags of stamina only use them for day time rabbiting and on the lamp never had no problems with live stock found them realy easy to train cant stand cats butI cant do out about that atb dave

tHEY HAVE CERTAINLY COME UP TO A GOOD HEIGHT dAVE .... GOOD LUCK

I personally wouldn't have a bedlington x whippet. I have one in the past and from experience my current whippet knocks spots off the beddy x whippet. My whippet will work all day with the ferrets or just mooching and i do mean all day. It's all about the breed of whippet and the conditioning of the dog. Too many people keep there dogs in runs for days on end and then expect them to do a full days work... this will ever happen. You only get out what you put in. A bloke i know has a saying piss poor preperation = piss poor performance a quote i totally agree with.

As for the whippet having a crap coat and they feel the cold.... Mine have never suffered, i suppose i must be fortunate...

My bitch, taken in september. Nice and fit ready for the forthcoming season

16052009217.jpg