Almost correct.

Pellets travel through the air in a slight spiral shape, but I wouldn't worry about it as it'll only drift off a few mm and then come back in again

Also, don't forget to account for the wind!

A good way of testing is to shoot at a telegraph pole in the middle of a field about 250 yards away. You'd be amazed how many times you can hit it dead on. (although your elevation won't be anywhere near right!)

as above unless you have cross over occurring; my understanding of it is that it's where the scope isn't mounted properly - if you cross hairs are at a slight angle (not at 180 degrees) this will mean that the pellet drop will look like it's down and slightly to one side. I can't explain it very well, and I cant find a diagram for it, but I'm sure someone who is more apt with explanations will post soon.

as above unless you have cross over occurring; my understanding of it is that it's where the scope isn't mounted properly - if you cross hairs are at a slight angle (not at 180 degrees) this will mean that the pellet drop will look like it's down and slightly to one side. I can't explain it very well, and I cant find a diagram for it, but I'm sure someone who is more apt with explanations will post soon.

Yup! Your dead right, OM.

If you think about it, as you're looking through your scope, you're looking in a dead straight line to infinity, practicly. The shot as it leaves the gun does not, first it goes up, then it goes down. Because the shot leaves the gun below relative to where you're looking, it must go upwards to meet your point of zero, then go down again..

If the sight-line is not DIRECTLY above the barrel, then it will go slightly from one side to the other. Think about it.....

The point is that as you look through your scope and set it up on your gun, your X-hairs must be level to the ground and the barrel must be directly below your line of sight. Otherwise you'll get a slight right to left (or vise-versa) drift as the range changes relative to your zeroing range.

I hope this helps!!

Cheers.

Edited by andyfr1968

Yup! Your dead right, OM.

If you think about it, as you're looking through your scope, you're looking in a dead straight line to infinity, practicly. The shot as it leaves the gun does not, first it goes up, then it goes down. Because the shot leaves the gun below relative to where you're looking, it must go upwards to meet your point of zero, then go down again..

If the sight-line is not DIRECTLY above the barrel, then it will go slightly from one side to the other. Think about it.....

The point is that as you look through your scope and set it up on your gun, your X-hairs must be level to the ground and the barrel must be directly below your line of sight. Otherwise you'll get a slight right to left (or vise-versa) drift as the range changes relative to your zeroing range.

I hope this helps!!

Cheers.

I thought we were assuming that the vertical LINE is zeroed?