Silent target question (and glasses !)

Just got back from what was a pretty useless session (due to my own stupidity :wallbash: )

Thought i'd pop up to the permission and clock in for the 3.00 till 4.30 shift, loaded the motor and off I went B) Parked up, opened the boot and took out Kylie (HW100), put on my jacket and checked my pockets for the essentials and everything was sweet. Realised I hadn't put my boots on so I lent Kylie against the back of the car ( I know. I know, you can see it coming :duh: ) Put my boots on shut the door and went to the back of the car and there she was lying on the floor with a nice little chunk out of the sights :censored: (thank God I never load a mag. until I am well away from the road)

Thankfully the sights took the brunt of it so I decided that a serious scoping session was required rather than the usual quick check. Got a target out the boot, paced out 30 yards and hit it 5 times. 2 inches two high so I fannied about, got it just about there and headed off in search of buggsy :gunsmilie:

I was feeling really "stressed" about the accuracy of Kylie as I felt I had rushed it a bit..... anyway out popped a nice rabbit at about 26-28 yards and I lined up the cross hairs. In the end I let him go as I couldn't be 100% sure that i'd hit the kill zone :chair: I decided to call it a day and head home..totally effed off. On the way back to the car I got to thinking about the earlier zeroing session so here are the questions gents......

I always wear contact lenses but today I was wearing glasses would this make a difference ( paralax / refraction) . Kylie is always zero'd in with me wearing lenses ?

Is there such a thing as a silent (or very quiet) target / pellet trap ? I only have a smallish garden (and nosey neighbours :aggressive: ) so if i could zero in at 15 yards at home it would be a lot easier and quicker to then tweek it to 30 yards in the field with a target .

Thanks Guys n Gals,

Belly

Just got back from what was a pretty useless session (due to my own stupidity :wallbash: )

Thought i'd pop up to the permission and clock in for the 3.00 till 4.30 shift, loaded the motor and off I went B) Parked up, opened the boot and took out Kylie (HW100), put on my jacket and checked my pockets for the essentials and everything was sweet. Realised I hadn't put my boots on so I lent Kylie against the back of the car ( I know. I know, you can see it coming :duh: ) Put my boots on shut the door and went to the back of the car and there she was lying on the floor with a nice little chunk out of the sights :censored: (thank God I never load a mag. until I am well away from the road)

Thankfully the sights took the brunt of it so I decided that a serious scoping session was required rather than the usual quick check. Got a target out the boot, paced out 30 yards and hit it 5 times. 2 inches two high so I fannied about, got it just about there and headed off in search of buggsy :gunsmilie:

I was feeling really "stressed" about the accuracy of Kylie as I felt I had rushed it a bit..... anyway out popped a nice rabbit at about 26-28 yards and I lined up the cross hairs. In the end I let him go as I couldn't be 100% sure that i'd hit the kill zone :chair: I decided to call it a day and head home..totally effed off. On the way back to the car I got to thinking about the earlier zeroing session so here are the questions gents......

I always wear contact lenses but today I was wearing glasses would this make a difference ( paralax / refraction) . Kylie is always zero'd in with me wearing lenses ?

Is there such a thing as a silent (or very quiet) target / pellet trap ? I only have a smallish garden (and nosey neighbours :aggressive: ) so if i could zero in at 15 yards at home it would be a lot easier and quicker to then tweek it to 30 yards in the field with a target .

Thanks Guys n Gals,

Belly

Sand bags packed a round a wooden box with a couple of inches of plasticine

Fit your target over the box plasticine should absorb the pellet and sand bags deaden any sound

Hi Belly.

Awww hell mate, sorry to hear about the mishap. :doh:

But glad you got away with minimum damage :thumbs:

The Len's issue is a good one....I zero my musket with glasses on.....but wear contacts somtimes.....does not appear to effect MPI....for me anyway?

Re the pellet catcher....I read somwhere that if you put putty in the back it is almost silent.....think it was Phantom who mentioned it.

ATB

Bill. :)

Yeah, I'm guilty, it was me :whistling:

Well sort of. My portable backstop and pellet catcher is an A4 (well a little bigger) baking tray that is filled with Plumbing Putty (it never sets and won't dry out).

I just take that with me and yes its virtually silent.

Pick the lead out after the session though as leaving em in makes the thing heavy to lug about.

I use ordinary a4 paper with cross's on or printed targets. They just "Stick" to the putty and are easily removed. The putty also helps the prevent the paper ripping, so you can easily see where the last pellet strikes :thumbs:

Shame about the mishap, I did similar with my springer, I never thought to check the zero though:icon_redface: until an exceptionally lucky bunny took off at speed and I realised the pellet went well over his ears :wallbash:

Phantom

Edited by Phantom

RE the paralax thingy,

I spent a few hours one day playing around with my gun. I had it set up on a bench and was shooting dead centre on the target.

Then, I moved my eye (without moving the gun) so I was as far left as I could get and aimed dead centre on the crosshairs, bang.... same hole. I did the same by moving my head as far right as I could, bang... dead centre too.

So, in answer to your question... I don't think it makes any difference!

Just thinking about it.... if you prop your gun up on a bench and note the exact spot where the cross hairs are aiming at... without touching your gun, put your glasses on an look again, the bross hairs will still be pointing at the exact same spot.

Hope this helps,

John

Edited by hughes_jh