homemade hide

theres a post on pidgeon watch at the moment that has gone into 4 pages, about making your own hide/poles, well as money is a bit tight at the moment, plus the naural tight arse in me, I thought Id have a go, and see what I could save

well the computer went tits up last weekend, so with a bit of free time on my hands, thought Id give it a go

first, 5 heavy duty angle iron shelf brackets, sourced from work,

post-5267-125976139074_thumb.jpg

the poles from wilkinsons at £2.99 each are good and strong, adjustable height,twist lock etc, anyway after a bit of thinking I didnt really want to bolt the poles directly to the bracket (bracket acts as foot plate)

post-5267-125976141408_thumb.jpg

so added a bit of angle, cut a point in the bottom and I was halfway there, next I wanted it detachable, so the old pergoda got cut up,

post-5267-125976145034_thumb.jpg

post-5267-125976147729_thumb.jpg

as I wanted the push fit with spring clips bottoms, these I could use, anyway heres some finished pictures, total cost £45, thats for the poles,camo netting,green sprays, oh and made a bucket seat too, with padded lid

although alot of people dont like the old ex army netting, its cheap, so a 4.5mtr x 4.5mtr lump only cost me £27 cut it half and re joined, it gives me 9mtrs x 2mtrs

post-5267-12597618434_thumb.jpg

post-5267-125976186311_thumb.jpg

I had just read the book "the pigeon shooter" by John Batley and liked the look of his hide design, so thats it

went with a guy at the weekend who got 4 washing line poles from wilkinsons at £1.50 each , green firm plastic ones and nice and light

the price must fluctuate across the contry, as Ive heard prices from £1.50, £2.00, and £2.99, still cheaper than the £15 ones, if you can make the footplate/spike

• 3 weeks later...

we brought an old 4 berth tent for a fiver off a car boot cut the poles to size painted green and cover in camo netting from army surplus ..thumbs.gif used an old toilet tent frame years ago ..

Edited by the_stig

Did they work out OK then?????

been out a couple of times with them, yes they work a treat, footplate does a great job on hard ground, and also give you something to grab when pulling up, the only downside is the weight, you certainly notice it carrying 5 of those to when your not

does anyone use a fishing wheelbarrow type cart when shooting, to transport all the gear,