Every cloud has a silver lining

Well as its the start of a new season in the uk i thought id post up this outing from the end of last season. I originally wrote it for an article competition but unfortunately never got round to entering.

Id appreciate your honest opinions. ;)

Every cloud has a silver lining

Well Saturday night I met up with my mentor and made the 130 mile journey down to the outskirts of London. We had been invited out by a young lad to help out a couple of gamekeepers who were having a big problem with foxes taking the birds from the shoot. We were staying at a genuine Dog man’s house. This man has probably forgotten more than a lot of these self acclaimed expert dog men know. So we were sat down in his front room waiting for darkness to go out lamping with the lurchers. As we were about to leave we received phone call to tell us that the dig in the morning was now called off. We were rather pissed off after hearing this news especially as we rang before we left to check that we were still needed. Apparently the Game keepers had to feed the birds and apparently now did not have time, now surely anyone in their right mind who had the choice of feeding the birds or keeping them alive would choose to keep them alive. We headed out lamping that night anyway the lamps were checked and the dogs loaded into the back of the car. That night we had my mentor’s Bedlington x greyhound bitch and Saluki x greyhound x cattle dog, we also had the genuine dogman’s Bull x greyhound. Spent a good few hours out and some absolutely brilliant runs and saw a lot of game. Got back into the house at around 4am and then we were up at 7am to go out and check an earth which the genuine dogman thought was holding. We arrived at the earth and got a positive mark from the dogs. Was a nice 4 hole earth which absolutely reeked of fox. The earth itself didn’t look very deep surrounded by brambles and stinging nettles if we didn’t net up there was no way the lurchers would have been able to get on terms with the quarry if it had bolted. We lay down the nets and double checked that the pegs were in properly and there was no bramble or other debris which the net could snag on. The last thing we wanted was for the fox to slip the net and get away. Being the gentleman he is the genuine dogman asked my mentor whether he would like to enter his black dog. He jumped at the chance and collared the dog up. The dog about to be entered is a strange one my mentor acquired him as an adult dog. The dog is a mongrel the breeding is unknown many people might class this dog as a waste of space as he did start of very slow, but my mentor gave the dog a chance and he’s turned out to be a good dog, not a world beater by anyone’s standard but he does what’s needed of him.

He was screaming to be let off the lead. As soon as he was uncoupled he was off like a train and disappeared into the gloom. You really have to admire these little tykes and their willingness to go into the unknown and face an opponent on its own ground and by its own rules. We sat down on top of the earth and listened to what was unfolding below.

Old Charlie was giving the black dog a good run around. A couple of times we thought we would have a bolt on our hands luckily this wasn’t to be the case. The sound that all terrier men love to hear drifted up to us. The black dog had started to bay and was mixing with his opponent. Any true digging man will know the feeling I’m going to try and describe now. Other authors seem to leave it out whether their scared of provoking anti’s or just think it’s only them who feels it I don’t know. It doesn’t matter how many dig’s I go on the feeling you get when a terrier goes to ground is unbelievable, your heart is n your mouth and nothing matters apart from what is taking place under your feet. You can’t help but wonder whether this will be another text book dig or whether your dog will come off be seriously injured or god forbid die. The need to hunt or be hunted is in all of us. I firmly believe that all hunting people whether it is with dog’s gun or traps are descended from those who were relied upon to provide food for their fellow tribesmen and protect them from predators. People can deny it but I am sure that every hunter gets the rush of adrenalin which puts all your senses on edge. Out came the knocker box and we got a reading of 3 foot. The shovel was pulled out and put to good use. Before we start digging we always beat the top of the earth with the shovel to make sure that the fox and dog were not going to move to a different location as there is nothing worse than getting a reading on the knocker box of six foot digging down five and then to have your dog and quarry move to a different part of the earth. We were down the 3 foot in about five minutes. It was nice easy digging with the soil being very soft and almost compost. When we did break through we were greeted by the strong aroma of fox. We opened up the tube some more to allow us to see what was taking place in the tunnel. The black dog was working his quarry well. As soon as he realised we’d broken through he gave it 110%. Using the shovel as a barrier we removed the black dog and coupled him back up. Moving the shovel slightly we were able to reach up the tunnel and get a firm hold of the foxes back legs. We lifted it from the tunnel and held it at arms reach. We checked it over; it was a good sized vixen though unfortunately it had started to develop mange. We did the right thing and put it out of its misery. While I backfilled and left the dig looking tidy they checked over the black dog. Despite mixing with the fox he had received very little punishment and was raring to go again. We called it a day as we had a long drive ahead of us. A big thank you goes to the genuine terrier man and his wife for putting us up for the weekend and for providing sport when others let you down. And I would like to thank my mentor for taking me under his wing and teaching me everything I know about terrier work and lurcher work. I owe you two a lot and without you I would not be who I am today. Another excellent outing with genuine people and brilliant dogs.

post4341137424679tw4.jpg

Yours in sport

Jordan

Edited by Jordan

Your a good lad jordan we had some good times be it digging lamping or even the fun in them tyres with that bloody fox that kept nearlly getting away and i mean nearlly cause he was unlucky enough not to quite make his escape :11: never mind nother one out the way......

where`s the pictures mate

Edited by Royston2

Heres the end picture.

Ill give you a ring soon Royston and we can have a chat i think i might have a few more like this saved to my comp so ill make a few alterations and get them up as well.

Edited by Jordan