London v North ( sport )

Why Wigan ? What about Sunderland or Newcastle ? Boxing, Hartlepool a town of 100,000 has produced the Feeney Brothers, The London Brothers Brian and Jack, George Bowes, Michael Hunter and loads of others ie Mark Smith, Rooney, Cooper, Wright who is fighting Alex Arthur on Dec 5th, Lady boxers Amanda Coulson, Savannah Marshall, There are many more. Other good boxers have came from north of the capital ie Hatton, Dave Boy Green, Kirkland Laing this bloke could of been GREAT. Gomez, Khan, think your blinded by the smoke lol

Why wigan....because the 2 lads i was originally having the debate with were from the manchester and liverpool areas.....manchester and liverpool being a similar sized area to london id say thats fair......but if you want to chuck the north east in as well thats fine......so world champions ??

If you think michael gomez or brian/jack london were world class fighters thats up to you.....im not blinded by the smoke mate im dealing with FACTS.....i named a whole bunch of boxing world champions out of london ....name me the same amount or more of world champions from manc/liverpool areas and then lets talk :thumbs:

oh sorry.....manc/liverpool.....and the north east ?.....

Edited by gnasher16

LIVERPOOL :boxing: WORLD CHAMPIONS

JOHN CONTEH

PAUL HODGKINSON

JIMMY SHEA NEARY

MANCHESTER :boxing: WORLD CHAMPIONS

HITMAN HATTON

NEWCASTLE WORLD :boxing: CHAMPIONS

GLEN MCGORY

SHEFFIELD WORLD :boxing: CHAMPIONS

HERROL BOMBMER GRAHAM

NASSIAM HAMMED

BOLTON WORLD :boxing: CHAMPIONS

AMIR KHAN

GLASGOW WORLD :boxing: CHAMPIONS

JIMM WATT

:thumbs:

dave boy green was from chatris, cambs fens, granted not london, but hardly a northener...lol

Yokel...

p.s. gnasher16, a quare question but do you have big ears?

What a strange question....not that i know of why...and what a " quare " question is im not sure

[quote name='maxhardcore' date='26 November 2009 - 10:57 PM' timestamp='1259276223' post='1337031

The population of the 32 boroughs of london is actually just over 7 million.....if you take east london alone with a population of around 1.5 million you cannot compare the amount of WORLD FAMOUS sportsman.....to hartlepool !!....sorry and all that,you make a good argument and yes for population hartlepool probably adds up ok....but we are talking about sportsman who have competed at world level.....i stick my neck out and say when it comes to football and boxing no other area in britain has produced as many world quality sportsman.....theres an old saying here...." if you cant sing or dance you fight or kick a ball "......and i think the facts prove this area might be a shithole but it has produced a good amount of british sporting greats for an area covering less than 10 square miles !

Edited by gnasher16

LIVERPOOL :boxing: WORLD CHAMPIONS

JOHN CONTEH

PAUL HODGKINSON

JIMMY SHEA NEARY

MANCHESTER :boxing: WORLD CHAMPIONS

HITMAN HATTON

NEWCASTLE WORLD :boxing: CHAMPIONS

GLEN MCGORY

SHEFFIELD WORLD :boxing: CHAMPIONS

HERROL BOMBMER GRAHAM

NASSIAM HAMMED

BOLTON WORLD :boxing: CHAMPIONS

AMIR KHAN

GLASGOW WORLD :boxing: CHAMPIONS

JIMM WATT

:thumbs:

shea neary won the wbu title.....if we are counting the wbu i can probably add at least another 6/7 londoners to the list !

herol graham never won a world title.....and jim watt/ken buchanan were scottish !!.......

this has gone from manc/liverpool.....to manc/liverpool and the north east.......to manc/liverpool the north east scotland......in fact anywhere north of watford ....and you still cant compete with london :D

incidentally you forgot froch and clinton woods.....

im even trying to help out myself :thumbs:

Edited by gnasher16

Kirkland Laing was also from Nottingham IMO The Best Boxer this Land has EVER had representing it , Shame he went into most fights probably half dizzy. If Laing lived the life imo he would of been unstoppable on the World Stage, he would of been a Genuine True GREAT.

kirkland might have been from nottingham but he did his fighting out of the royal oak gym in canning town under terry lawless........

incidentally my list also forgot a few other london world champions....

maurice hope....and one chris eubank

gnasher you forgot mark kaylor gary delaney and his brother not champions but come

out of the east end.

didnt forget them mate they just were not world champions.....if i went through all the london british champions id be here all day.....

could of added mo hussein,gary mason,kaylor,jimmy batten etc etc etc right back to john gardner....im not going through all the british champions as well as world champions....think i proved my point thats good enough :D

just a little footnote to this post from 2 of the names.....a good advert not to have ex boxers working as doorman.....both mo hussein and gary delaney both killed men with 1 punch while working.... delaney is currently serving a life sentance....both were out of the west ham gym.....you get taught to throw correct punches round here :D .....no not funny

Edited by gnasher16

dave boy green was from chatris, cambs fens, granted not london, but hardly a northener...lol

Yokel...

p.s. gnasher16, a quare question but do you have big ears?

What a strange question....not that i know of why...and what a " quare " question is im not sure

you have p.m.

Yokel

It doesn't mean shite!

No offense I know its a bit o' banter but. Neither the North or london can claim to be representative of their area.

Arsenal once fielded a team in europe with not one English player let alone a Londoner

Rgds

Swampy

Thats a fair point....but then if you want to just go by players instead of teams....then sorry but east london win hands down,in fact my west ham wins hands down half the england team either started off or made their name at west ham.....dafoe,lampard,carrick,johnson,james,ferdinand,cole x 2.....the list go,s on right back to paul ince !....even john terry is out of east london !....if it wasnt for west ham england would never have won the world cup for crying out loud :D

Also west ham field week to week a higher number of english players than any other premier league team....not as many as before the little italian come along but still more than others.

Michael Carrick is a product of Wallsend boys club, in North Tyneside. Wallsend boys club has produced legends like, Alan Shearer, Peter Beardsley, Steve Bruce, ect. Thats not to mention other footballers that have played at the top level like, Steve Watson, Lee Clark, to mention just two. Have a look at the link for the list of pro's this little amatuer club has produced http://www.wallsendboysclub.co.uk/

Michael Carrick is a product of Wallsend boys club, in North Tyneside. Wallsend boys club has produced legends like, Alan Shearer, Peter Beardsley, Steve Bruce, ect. Thats not to mention other footballers that have played at the top level like, Steve Watson, Lee Clark, to mention just two. Have a look at the link for the list of pro's this little amatuer club has produced http://www.wallsendboysclub.co.uk/

Excellent....interesting read that mate thanks :thumbs: ....clearly a great little club with great tradition.

Similar to Senrab boys club in east london......produced jermain dafoe,john terry,ashley cole,ledley king,lee bowyer,sol campbell,zamora and loads more......even old ray wilkins if im not mistaken.....might even have had alan curbishley at one point though i wouldnt swear to it

Didnt know they had a website i just googled it..... www.senrab.co.uk if you fancy a look.

Edited by gnasher16