norfolk lurchers

Can anyone tell me what they know about Norfolks, Thankyou

hi i knonw this is of your topic but how are them bull terier x doing and have you got any updated photos .ps sorry for hijacking your post hope you dont mind cheers glen .

hi i knonw this is of your topic but how are them bull terier x doing and have you got any updated photos .ps sorry for hijacking your post hope you dont mind cheers glen .

Theyre doing well thanks 7 monthes old now we kept the brindle dog back,hes 23" ill put up a topic soon :thumbs:

IMHO i think the so called norfolk lurcher is a myth the one my mate had in the early 80s purchased from mick douglas was a straw couloured deerhound type and they bred a type .Its obviouse they did go into the make up of the noted coursing strains.I am convinced they were a bitza bred lurcher that were exellent on hares and free of saluki blood as the saluki was not that popular in the 70s and good hare killing dogs were produced out of good deerhound types.atb dell

Theyre doing well thanks 7 monthes old now we kept the brindle dog back,hes 23" ill put up a topic soon :thumbs:

thanks we allways had e.b.t.when i was a kid and would like to see how your lurchers turned out

HI KATY/AS U PROBABLY KNOW NORFOLKS WERE SUPPOSEDLY BRED USING SMITHFIELD COLLIES(named as they drove stock 2 Smithfield market in London) Mick Douglas claimed 2 breed stock bred down from these dogs.LAST I SPOKE 2 MICK HE OPENLY ADMITTED HE HADNT BRED THE LITTER 4 HIMSELF BUT 2 SELL AS HE WAS BUSY WORKING ON HIS BOAT & WAS MORE IN 2 SAILING. THINK IT BECAME THE NORM AT UK SHOWS IN THE 80,S 2 TERM ANY FAWN ROUGH COATED LURCHER AS A NORFOLK TYPE. CERTAINLY THE RISE IN SALUKI LURCHERS PUT PAID 2 THE POPULARITY OF SUCH DOGS AS NORFOLKS WERE ALWAYS TOUTED AS NOT JUST A LURCHER BUT CAPABLE ON A HARE ALSO.HOPE THIS HELPS KATY.

Edited by Endgame

They were very typy though some of them their was another chap called aubry fryer i believe bred them aswell.A rumour going around in the early 80s that his stuff was bred out of a breed of dog called the briard?atb dell

Lots of rumours going round back in the dark ages.. :yes:

However, the truth is often far stranger than fiction......

Yes you are right their about rumoursyes.gif as a cracking looking dog i once saw owned by a chap called Terry who lived in a lincolnshire village called martin he claimed it was a norfolk lurcher bred by you mr cw.It would have been about 1981.atb dell

:thumbs: Yeah,.I've created some reet strange critters,.and that's the truth... :laugh:

Good old days though,... ;)

MICK DOUGLAS DID HAVE A BEARD AT 1 TIME YES/BUT 2 BE READING ABOUT AUDBREY FRYER,THEN WE ARE GOING BACK 2 THE OLD DAYS WHEN THE COUNTRYMANS WKLY WAS THE SHOOTING NEWS.ANYONE REMEMBER THE OLD "LETTERS 2 THE EDITOR"PAGE?? AFRAID [NO TEXT TALK] SEARCHING 4 THE OLD SMITHFIELD COLLIE WILL BE DISSAPOINTED/THOUGH STRAINS OF ROUGH COATED BEARDIE/BOBTAIL TYPES ARE DEFO STILL WORKED IN THE AVIEMORE AREA. THOUGH WHAT THESE TYPE OF DOGS COULD ADD 2 A LURCHER IN THESE DAYS OF POINT FIRE UR LURCHER WHILST LOOKING OVER UR SHOULDER IS QUESTIONABLE??

They were very typy though some of them their was another chap called aubry fryer i believe bred them aswell.A rumour going around in the early 80s that his stuff was bred out of a breed of dog called the briard?atb dell

Bloody hell-there's a blast from the past!! Aubry fryer. I suddenly feel old!! :laugh:

Bloody hell-there's a blast from the past!! Aubry fryer. I suddenly feel old!! :laugh:

You'll probibly be surprised to know,that mick douglas also bred one of the best dogs that ever crossed the irish sea.He was a very strong rough coated dog,and belonged to a gamekeeper friend of mine.He was a squarish big dog.Rough coated,and a smokey deerhoundy color.There was nothing this boy didnt take.But he would also tryto retrieve the odd yew,when the addrenalin was up.I bred the 1st ever litter,from him.To a stocky greyhound bitch.There was 4 pups,in the litter.2 rough,and 2 smooth.They were absolute machines.I kept back the 2 smoothes,and parted with the other rough dog.After my mate took his pick from the litter.Had tp get rid of the dog i kept,as he was mental,and had an evil eye about him,when the wife or kids were around.He went way down southern Ireland,and was a bit of a legend,on the hard stuff.My bitch,was summit else.As she could kill a fox,in a few seconds,and would retrieve a rabbit,live to hand.A few minutes later.Mr Reynard,was eventualy her downfall,when she killed his mate,one night.We then called him into the field.But he was smarter than the lot of us,and after she missed her 1st strike.He took her straight down the field,at full pelt,and at the last minute.Just as she made her strike.He swung to the right,and she went full pelt.Into a massive rock,in the ditch.The only bloody one there was.In the whole ditch.The blood was coming from her ears,eyes,and mouth.We rushed her to the vets.But she was f d,and was PTS.Since then.Theres been quite a few realy good honest dogs bred from this boy.(Though he's gone now.)But he only produced the propper goods.To pure greyhounds.One of them being a fawn bitch.28 inches tts,and weighing 80lb.She killed her 1st b/w.Single handed,at 10 months of age.I made contact with a girl on K9.That claimed,Mick did not breed the line he was selling pups from.But inherrited the line.From her father.Apparently.He didnt even own a pair of shoes at one time,and regularly came about their place.Bare footed.After walking the mile or so lane.That one had to walk.To get to where he lived.As that was the only way in,or out.She could be genuine enough.As that was exactly what my mate had to do.When he bought the pup from him.He had no shoes on his feet,that day,either. Edited by Bilyboy45