biodiesel

Yeah ran my tranny van on it . I live near York and theres a guy who sells it on the A64, 79p a litre. The van ran really well on it and when I tested it at work on the exhaust gas annalizer there were vertually no emmissions from it. Apparently if you have a smokey motor and want to get it through the test you run it on this stuff and it should pass. The stuff this guy sells is the pucka stuff as it has all the soaps and rubbish removed from it and is not just straight vegatable oil. I ran it from april till last month but I don,t know how it would perform in the colder months as regards to thickening up.

when i was reading a little about it it said that you can mix it with deisel with no bad efect and all deisel engings from 1990 to 2004 are compatable to run on it. im definatly going to give it a go. its recomended that when you first run on it that you change your fuel filter after the first 500 mile

Edited by antg

hi fellas

i use biodiesel here in australia

couple of myths

bio wont mix with diesel - absolute bullshit, works fine, in fact i often run a blend of 70%bio and 30% diesel

blocks you filters - this is kind of true, basically it strips all the shit out of your tanks and fuel lines, this can block your filter, but you should only have to do this once.

The other time this can happen is if its cold the bio can gel up and block your filter. I had this problem and it was fixed by fitting a heat exchanger before my fuel filter so that the fuel filter gets warm from the heat exchanger nad it does not gel up.

mine smells like fish and chips when it runs, power is the same and the fuel economy is basically the same too

just cheaper, makes you want to eat fatt foods tho if you stand behind it for too long

• 1 month later...

Just to be clear; if you're manufacturing your own biodiesel, you will have to register your premeses (even if its your home) with HMRC and fill in a fuel tax form every month stating how much you made. It's not just VAT, but fuel duty. You need to pay both.

That said, you DO NOT have to fill in or return any tax paperwork if you bought your bio from a supplier or fuel station. They have already done it for you. 79p a litre upwards is tax paid. Just get a receipt for the fuel if you're worried about a tug, or just tell them where you bought it.

I've run my 1995 Pug 405s on bio for a couple of years with no problems. It's good stuff, lubes your engine and extends its life.

Just be aware though that just buying from any old sod can knacker your engine up. You want EN standard tested and approved fuel! Anything less than this is asking for trouble (gum, excess methanol content, free glycerine etc).

Go to a reputable supplier (not necessarily a chain) and you'll be ok.

Edited by RainmakerKennels