Cocker Spaniel Training

Hi,

I've had my 1st gundog for 6months now, training has been going well 2 steps forward 1 step forward and 1 step forward 2 steps backwards.

So she's 12 months old now, walks to heal on/off lead, recall and stop to whistle and retrieves ok.

I messed up on the recall with her a bit, when i had her at 6 months old, all she knew was the 'TENNIS BALL' she's crazy for it, so i'd throw it and she'd retrieve no problem. I then bought Simon Tyers DVD on training cockers watched it through and through, i applied some of the training tips most worked great. But then when i introduced the STOP whistle, threw the dummy for her walked out and picked up the dummy to re inforce that the dummy was mine not hers. when i did let her out for the dummy she would just piss around like she was possessed puppy, throwing the dummy round and running round in circles. This happened for on and of 2 weeks. So i stopped all retreiving, as i knew i had fecked up somewhere, i thought i'd lay off for a while and let the dog be a dog and let her and myself grow up a bit.

After a couple of weeks off retreiving training, i started her back. I'd throw the dummy out and just let her chase after, once or twice she would mess around, but a walking away from her and not showing any interest, she soon came in with the dummy in her mouth.

I'm at the stage now where i'm looking for further her training. She's not perfect at the basics yet 90% there, but i just want to know what else she needs to learn.

Here's some photos that i put up a couple of weeks ago

img2898jl.jpg

img2904xq.jpg

Mallowdale Grand (sire ) x Dearnvalley Venus (Dam).

Started work on her left and rights on Sunday, she picked it up first time.

Is there any web sites or tutorials advice on training gundogs that people can recommend, as i've taken snippets from Ian Openshaws DVD's and everything else pretty much done myself. I'm not from a hunting background really, so i just pick bits up from here and there.

Thanks

Dan

Edited by danielt

I too have got my first gundog (a cocker) this year, he is 6 months old now. I have got hold of Simon Tyers series of cocker training DVD's which I have found very useful. I also have a copy of Joe Irving's spaniel training book, which I think is more aimed at springers but obviously works well for cockers and I have found this excellent. The best thing that I have done though is paid a visit to a professional trainer and had him assess the dog. I would really recommend this if you have no previous experience, as you have nothing to compare the dog too. He also gave me really helpful advice and some training tips to progress with my dog, well worth the money it cost for the assessment. You just need to find a trainer in your area, I was really lucky with this as Simon Tyers only lives 15 mins down the road!!

Good luck with your dog

Ade

I too have got my first gundog (a cocker) this year, he is 6 months old now. I have got hold of Simon Tyers series of cocker training DVD's which I have found very useful. I also have a copy of Joe Irving's spaniel training book, which I think is more aimed at springers but obviously works well for cockers and I have found this excellent. The best thing that I have done though is paid a visit to a professional trainer and had him assess the dog. I would really recommend this if you have no previous experience, as you have nothing to compare the dog too. He also gave me really helpful advice and some training tips to progress with my dog, well worth the money it cost for the assessment. You just need to find a trainer in your area, I was really lucky with this as Simon Tyers only lives 15 mins down the road!!

Good luck with your dog

Ade

:clapper: Simon is a great bloke.....highly recommended.

Down in South Wales......try Dai Ormond