feeding and setting up a new flight pond

• 3 months later...

tips for releasing duck

feed the six week old duck on the edge of your water for the first week you have them. then start coming in land a little each day what i do is pore wheat out in a line and the next day start at the end of the day before line. if you have land near that rises then head for that but if its flat that's still ok when you have walked them one hundred yards off the water use electronic feeder auto feeder they are very cheep nowdays this will de familiarise yourself from the duck if you rush the job the duck will not come off the water so it is a slow prosess if you can't visit all the time then start off with the auto feeder by the water and move it back when you can don't worry if they crowd around you when you fill the hopper up this is ok don't start to make them fly i think this is a mistake what will happen after a time the duck will run up the field when the feeder goes off and if you have a bell on the feeder then great if you haven't Tye a plastic sack around the bottom where the feed comes out when the feeder goes off it will make a hell of a racket then in time after the duck have eaten the wheat they spook themselves and will fly back to the pond as i say try to let them do this themselves some times it just takes a little longer or the feeder could be still to close to the water if you get your duck early you will have plenty of time to do this and the duck will become very strong flyers now when the duck have been flying for a long time or say October you can then dump a trailer of potatoes by the pond but only when they can fly what you will need to do is to cut some of them or run them over to get them started when they start to eat the potatoes you can stop feeding wheat if you have beaters on your shoot make them flags to hold but if you do what i have said you wont need them they will be to high

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi can anyone help? I have dug out a pond that I shot about 10 years ago, it had over grown and dried up! It is now full and have been feeding it for about a month and nothing is taking the feed! It is about a mile for a big lake. Any ideas how to attract ducks there?

• 2 weeks later...

What would i be best doing if i have ponds but no ducks using them i.e non visible when i have been there. There are some large lakes with in 2 miles with hundreds of duck on.

I have only ever seen two duck on there that was over 3-years ago and havent seen them since two ponds are in a wood and one is open in a field. I have permission to feed and release birds on there. So would i be best putting a few call birds on to attract others or just feed the ponds up and hope for the best? Im at a loss as i dont think any duck are using the land and dont want to waste my time feeding up for sonething that will never be there. Best advice please. Thanks guys

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

Is it worth feeding a pond if it's near a sewage works nearby? I put a post up and a guy said I wouldn't eat them? But surely any duck could have been in a sewage work area? River is about half a mile away and it's the smaller pond that's closest to the works?

• 4 years later...