Starting up reloading

I requested the breech lock kit as an xmas pressie, ive ordered the die's but forgot to get the case length tool but i should be able to pick one when i go and get some powder and primers oh and i ordered so 50gr v-max and some 55gr v-max to see how they work.

Looking at the Vihtavouri book that came with the kit i was looking at getting the N130 or N133 powder any preferences to which??

also has anyone watched this guys reloading videos?? YouTube - wildernesseducation's Channel

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For a .223 reloading might not be the cheaper option !   Reloading is more to tune ammo to your rifle than cheap. If you want cheap then mil surplus might be the cheapest option followed by brands l

You really do talk rubbish sometimes, are you trying to kill the guy!   There is little or no .223 Mil surplus, it is 5.56 which will fit but is over pressure for .223, unless of course you can find

cheap make ammo is worth trying if its accurate in your rifle then your on a winner. imo its ok for some fun on range or a long range shooting day. but thats about it.   why buy a top rifle and pu

I requested the breech lock kit as an xmas pressie, ive ordered the die's but forgot to get the case length tool but i should be able to pick one when i go and get some powder and primers oh and i ordered so 50gr v-max and some 55gr v-max to see how they work.

Looking at the Vihtavouri book that came with the kit i was looking at getting the N130 or N133 powder any preferences to which??

also has anyone watched this guys reloading videos?? YouTube - wildernesseducation's Channel

I use N130 with my CZ, max load is distinctly warm - AFAIK 24.7gr? I'd use a grain under (with a 50gr v-max). Max load got me to 3500fps, and amazing accuracy too, but with pressure signs sadly.

For a .223 reloading might not be the cheaper option !

Reloading is more to tune ammo to your rifle than cheap. If you want cheap then mil surplus might be the cheapest option followed by brands like ppu and american eagle.

You really do talk rubbish sometimes, are you trying to kill the guy!

There is little or no .223 Mil surplus, it is 5.56 which will fit but is over pressure for .223, unless of course you can find some original shit 5.56 mil spec. But you are unlikely to know so don't **** about and don't use it!!

Best zip it when you don't know what you are talking about!

WOW ! You have put it down ! :wankerzo4:

Can all the folk who have used .762 and 5.56 please raise what is left of their right hand !!

I have shot 7.62 in a .308 and 5.56 in a .223 and NEVER had a blow up or seen anyone else using it have a rifle blow up.

Has any one ????? I have seen a pistol blow the chamber across the firing point but no rifle blow.

Sticking 5.56 in 223 isn't supposed to be good news, but I have never seen one blow, have seen a rather know it all Chatham dealer blow his foot and file job, Pakistani 7.62 enfield up though, but that's what happens when you know it all and reload 308's with pistol powder, :wallbash:

Reloading is more to tune ammo to your rifle than cheap. If you want cheap then mil surplus might be the cheapest option followed by brands like ppu and american eagle.

There is little or no .223 Mil surplus, it is 5.56 which will fit but is over pressure for .223, unless of course you can find some original shit 5.56 mil spec. But you are unlikely to know so don't **** about and don't use it!!

Can all the folk who have used .762 and 5.56 please raise what is left of their right hand !!

I have shot 7.62 in a .308 and 5.56 in a .223 and NEVER had a blow up or seen anyone else using it have a rifle blow up.

Has any one ????? I have seen a pistol blow the chamber across the firing point but no rifle blow.

Sticking 5.56 in 223 isn't supposed to be good news, but I have never seen one blow, have seen a rather know it all Chatham dealer blow his foot and file job, Pakistani 7.62 enfield up though, but that's what happens when you know it all and reload 308's with pistol powder, :wallbash:

There is a long-standing warning about .303 Enfields re-barelled .7.62. They are an old design which basicaslly dates back to the 1880's and was originally intended with black powder in mind. They are safe with military 146 grain 7.62x51 and probably with most commercial .308. However, when you start getting into the realms of heavy bulleted, long range .308 loads you could be asking for trouble. Even then, you still have to go a long way to totally destroy a rifle.

The problem with Enfields is that the actions flex too much. A properly done conversion should have a bolstered action - especially an early one - but many don't or weren't done properly.

Having said all that - if he's put pistol powder in it then he really shouldn't be too surprised that it's sponstaniously disassembled it self!

J.

Edited by JonathanL

There is a long-standing warning about .303 Enfields re-barelled .7.62. They are an old design which basicaslly dates back to the 1880's and was originally intended with black powder in mind. They are safe with military 146 grain 7.62x51 and probably with most commercial .308. However, when you start getting into the realms of heavy bulleted, long range .308 loads you could be asking for trouble. Even then, you still have to go a long way to totally destroy a rifle.

The problem with Enfields is that the actions flex too much. A properly done conversion should have a bolstered action - especially an early one - but many don't or weren't done properly.

Having said all that - if he's put pistol powder in it then he really shouldn't be too surprised that it's sponstaniously disassembled it self!

J.

I have a 7.62mm Enfield, with a Kreiger Barrel, its proofed to 20T so should be ok, but your right, I am very careful about using anything other than my own handloads in it any more, I also haven't seen any 147 grn FMJ in a couple of years, it all seems to be 155 grain now,that or steel jackets which will ruin a gun, so always carry a magnet when buying ammo guys, it will save your barrel a hell of a lot of wear.

It was also the 5th Lee Enfield I had heard of failing last year, my advice is back off from anything like full charges in a 7.62mm and use good quality 303, some of the factory stuff can be a bit hot as well, I have been experimenting with a few of the 123 grain to 130 grain 308 heads,I look for ones that measure up as 0.306 or a bit less, they work remarkably well out to 600 yards, and not to many people get to shoot the old guns much fiurther than that very often.

• 6 months later...

Barnes bullets:

http://www.barnesbullets.com/

Reloader's Nest - all the reloading data you could ever want:

http://www.reloadersnest.com/

Vihtavuori data (as a pdf):

http://www.lapua.com/fileadmin/user_upl ... de2008.pdf

Hodgdon, IMR and Wincheater data:

http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

Nosler data:

http://www.nosler.com/index.php?p=15

Norma data:

http://www.norma.cc/sortimentladd.asp?doc=Sort&Lang=2

Accurate data:

http://www.accuratepowder.com/data/Accu ... cation.pdf

Alliant data:

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/index.aspx

SAAMI:

http://www.saami.org/

• 9 months later...

Howdie all, ive got my ticket through for me .223 now, and have found the one i want.

now i intend to reload (for the cheapness of it) i have been given 100 remington cases that currently have the old primers in them. i was looking at geting the lee's breech lock challenger kit, is this all i will need for reloading ? (other than the dies for the .223) and a good book, i was looking at the Speer Reloading Manual maybe.

also for cleaning the cases, i see that some kits use ground down wood, can i use a sonic bath that i have accses too at work for case cleaning.

The Lee kit you mention is fine to start with, get one!

I've been reloading for 17 years and still have the original Lee Anniversary gear I bought back then, true I have since the bought loads of other

more 'exotic' tools, but for starters the Lee kit is not just OK it's plenty good enough and better than you are at the moment. (In truth the more expensive

stuff is better made and more durable, but on day one when it's all brand new NO DIFFERENCE)

You need to get in practice and use the tools, A good point is that its hard to load dangerous rifle ammo as the case capacity is just about as much as you need to

put in, unlike pistol ammo where double charging powder is possible and VERY likely to make a BIG and unpleasant BANG.

The .223 uses Small Rifle Primers, most other common centrefires use Large Rifle Primers, it doesn't matter at the moment but it's worth understanding, that said the Lee kit

comes with the facility for both sizes.

As for Powder use what you can get locally, for me that's Reloader 15 for Cemtrefire 22's (I have a 22.250) I have found that really consistant and easy to use, but there are

lots of alternatives, and you will be advised all 'over the place' so use your judgement, in reality most are very good and produce good results.

As for Brass as a beginner any old 'cooking' new brass will do, Winchester and Remington are freely available, I've used both (and Lapau and Nosler custom), guess what NO DIFFERENCE

save the price, again you be the judge!

Get RELOADING!!

AndyF

Guest john5

5.56 223 ........ for fecks sake its all the same and just depends how its pakaged

stick with the cases you have and resize them to your chamber , find a load your rifle likes and stick with it

as for you that says he is talking rubbish try this equation 223 dived by .0393701 = 5.56

another barreck room twat :feck: all the same calliber :feck::feck::feck::feck:

• 5 months later...

Hi my two pence worth

223 Remington vs. 5.56×45–Chambering and Throat Considerations

Is the .223 Remington the same as the 5.56×45? The answer is yes and no. There ARE differences between the .223 Remington as shot in civilian rifles and the 5.56×45 in military use. While the external cartridge dimensions are essentially the same, the .223 Remington is built to SAAMI specs, rated to 50,000 CUP max pressure, and normally has a shorter throat. The 5.56×45 is built to NATO specs, rated to 60,000 CUP max pressure, and has a longer throat, optimized to shoot long bullets. That said, there are various .223 Remington match chambers, including the Wylde chamber, that feature longer throats. Military 5.56×45 brass often, but not always, has thicker internal construction, and slightly less capacity than commercial .223 Rem brass.

Should you be worried about shooting 5.56×45 milspec ammo in a .223 Remington? The answer really depends on your chamber. 5.56 x45 ammo is intended for chambers with longer throats. If you shoot hot 5.56×45 ammo in short-throated SAAMI-spec chambers you can encounter pressure issues. The new long-throated ‘Wylde’ chamber allows safe use of military ammo. Wylde chambers are quite common in Rock River guns. Other manufacturers, such as Fulton Armory, offer modified “match chambers” with extended throats that allow safe use of 5.56×45 ammo in .223 Remington rifles. For a complete discussion of the .223 Rem vs. 5.56×45 question, read this Tech Notice from Winchester, and this GunZone Commentary by Dean Speir. Without belaboring the point, we’ll repeat the official SAAMI position: “Chambers for military rifles have a different throat configuration than chambers for sporting firearms which, together with the full metal jacket of the military projectile, may account for the higher pressures which result when military ammunition is fired in a sporting chamber. SAAMI recommends that a firearm be fired only with the cartridge for which it is specifically chambered by the manufacturer.”

• 2 weeks later...

While reading through this thread there is mention of "watching for signs of excessive pressure". What are the signs of excessive pressure?

Ian

sticky bolt when ejecting the case. flat primers

Edited by jamie g