reloading 10 bore

hello.....have been offered a 10 bore o/u full & full choke.. 3.5 in chamber for goose shooting..I know lead is not permissable on the foreshore....so what shot could I use...knowing steel cannot be shot through the barrels..I will be buying cartridges to start with, then intend to reload My own..so what loads./shot can I use and to what distance are they effective.....

cheers Alan

Edited by Alhoy

Hello Alan,

The big bores tend to react to larger shot sizes better than the 12 and below, so if its Geese that are the order of the day, a large load No.1s sounds about right to me :) Though of course a good load of 3s will be lethal.

Bismuth and Tungsten are both very good shots, but are ridiculously expensive and can be relatively hard to get hold of. If you find some, buy as much as you can :yes:

Cartridges for 10bore that are factory made can be a bit like Hens Teeth as well, stock up for the season if you find any. But they will break your bank eventually. Last time i saw them I believe they were around £46 for 10.

Powder wise, I'd be thinking along the lines of Alliant Steel and Hodgdon's shotgun powders, but buy a Shotgun Reloading manual, the most up to date edition first. This will help you no end before you go shopping :yes:

hello...have priced having barrels bored out to 1/2 and 1/2..£150ISH..what diffence would this make to the cartridges..buying/ reloading..and to the guns effective killing range.?Cheers Alan

nothing to killing range but steel is the cheapest non toxic by far to buy and to reload .i enquired last year to get a zabala 10 bore, rebored to 1/4 and 1/4 was quoted £25 per barrel.

hello...have priced having barrels bored out to 1/2 and 1/2..£150ISH..what diffence would this make to the cartridges..buying/ reloading..and to the guns effective killing range.?Cheers Alan

nothing to killing range but steel is the cheapest non toxic by far to buy and to reload .i enquired last year to get a zabala 10 bore, rebored to 1/4 and 1/4 was quoted £25 per barrel.

Cheers for the info....any chance of an address or phone number of this gunsmith..???

Alan

Cheers for the info....any chance of an address or phone number of this gunsmith..???

Alan

i will get in touch with him for you over the next week alan and get back to you.

Alan

you have pm alan.