knock the dry food off altogether.

ive never had to try this myself.but was told by a old girl who had a alsation she took in.she swore by marigold cream.this dog was totally bald by the time she got it from a abandoned scrapyard.she took it to the vets and they pumped it full of anti biotics.to no avail. but the cream did the trick.she told me she used it for everything.but like i said ive never had to.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Give her a treatment of Advocate. It's a flea and tick spot on treatment, but also treats skin mites and Fungul Bacterias. Brilliant stuff! will even treat mange.

Just had a look at that Advocate spot on gear and it looks good. How long are they covered for with a single treatment mate?

Thanks for letting the us know about that mate, never heard of it before I may just give it a blast.

You can buy hibiscrub from you chemist, they keep it under the counter,

Take her off beef and anything else you are giving her and put her on either chicken or fish and rice,

its better to use that to start off with as its more digestable, she how shes gets on with that before giving any other food,

if shes still no better you know its not the food.

If you ask your vets for some Malasab, its an antibacterial & antifungal,

its much better than the hibiscrub, as it covers a lot more skin problems,

people have had lots of scucess (sp) with bob skin cure as well,

so maby look in to that.

Looks like a food allergy and you feed beef one of the main causes of this fish and rice or salmon and potato dry mix walfcol do one its not cheap though.Also give the dog piriton one 3 times a day to help with the itch antibiotics wont do it.Also buy hibiscrub this helps too or bodyshops honey shampoo and conditioner works a treat used this on my bitch she had a lot of baldy bits when i got her

Advocate contains Advantage to treat the skin but also contains Moxidectin, which treats most worms. It isn't that much more expensive than advantage but you don't need to buy wormer's as well.

It recommends on the Advocate packet to apply monthly but I only do it every three month's.

It also treats Heart, Hook and Round worm.

As already stated, Hibiscrub is good stuff. You mix it with water (about 3:1 I think) and use it as an antibacterial wash.(cotton wool ball and wipe the area/wound clean)

Malaseb is a Shampoo, again very good for bacterial/fungal/mite skin conditions but I don't think you can use it on broken skin??? I might be wrong though.

It looks like the dogs been scratching/chewing at it as well, might be worth trying to stop that somehow?

All the best and I hope she gets better, she looks a nice dog.

Edited by bullmastiff

Looks like it could be a food intolerance to me, beef, wheat, something like that? If you still want to keep using some dry food in her diet there are some for dogs with allergies, James Wellbeloved is a good one.

I see a lot of dogs now with skin problems, and I'm sure that if the owners tried changing the food a lot of them would improve, but the vet gives them tablets for life and they spend a fortune.

Of course you need to have mange ruled out first, as that is a seriously unpleasant condition for the dog.

Could also be a dust/house mite allergy: I've got a bitch suffereing similar to yours at the moment. 6 years old and never had a problem before, nothing has changed except maybe there is a bit more dust in my house LOL! Though I think (not absolutely sure) that the problem started when I got a second hand rug: could have been infested!

I'd try steam cleaning the environment too to kill these mites: carpet, soft furnishings, hard floors, skirting board cracks etc, or the kennel if dog lives outside.

Homepathic Sulphur is also good for skin problems and my dog is definitely much better since she's been on this: 2 tabs every 2 hours for a day, then 2 twice a day.

Needle in a haystack job these skin problems: good luck; plenty of good advice so far, though I have also been told that very frequent use of Hibiscrub can have a negative effect on the good skin bacteria: my own vet told me not to use it more than once when treating wounds: so maybe the skin thing might apply here too.

Labsand lurchers: how long have you treated a dog with Hibiscub like this and were there any negative effects? Not having a go but just wanting to find out more.

I agree with the comments on removing the beef from the diet. Beef is one of the the most common food allergies. . . . by the way thats a nice looking dog you have there, what mix is she?

3/4 GREY 1/4 COLLIE :thumbs:

ah. . thats why she looks so good.... same mix as mine. . . .

post-13933-125882090398_thumb.jpg

Could also be a dust/house mite allergy: I've got a bitch suffereing similar to yours at the moment. 6 years old and never had a problem before, nothing has changed except maybe there is a bit more dust in my house LOL! Though I think (not absolutely sure) that the problem started when I got a second hand rug: could have been infested!

I'd try steam cleaning the environment too to kill these mites: carpet, soft furnishings, hard floors, skirting board cracks etc, or the kennel if dog lives outside.

Homepathic Sulphur is also good for skin problems and my dog is definitely much better since she's been on this: 2 tabs every 2 hours for a day, then 2 twice a day.

Needle in a haystack job these skin problems: good luck; plenty of good advice so far, though I have also been told that very frequent use of Hibiscrub can have a negative effect on the good skin bacteria: my own vet told me not to use it more than once when treating wounds: so maybe the skin thing might apply here too.

Labsand lurchers: how long have you treated a dog with Hibiscub like this and were there any negative effects? Not having a go but just wanting to find out more.

I've had to use it several times on Roo and Tia's faces/necks and I washed the wounds once a day for about 4-5 days (if stitched) or until a decent scab has formed. Touch wood I've never had a problem yet?