pet ferrets or proper working ferrets

whin

May I remind people of the saying "never argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience".

I doubt very much whether anybody here is an expert on genetics. I'm of the opinion that out of any litter (even working x working) you will get ferrets that just don't have the drive, equally you will occasionally get a "pet" ferret that has the drive and aptitude to work a warren really well (just like with gun dogs).

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

May I remind people of the saying "never argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience".

I doubt very much whether anybody here is an expert on genetics. I'm of the opinion that out of any litter (even working x working) you will get ferrets that just don't have the drive, equally you will occasionally get a "pet" ferret that has the drive and aptitude to work a warren really well (just like with gun dogs).

you are right there its what we call nature its in them or its not. had a young one 2 years ago off top working mam and dad it would not even enter the holes give it a year and still the same today its a pet of a mate of mine.

out of my litter i had last year i kept one and she is better than her mother

I'm of the opinion that out of any litter (even working x working) you will get ferrets that just don't have the drive, equally you will occasionally get a "pet" ferret that has the drive and aptitude to work a warren really well (just like with gun dogs).

I agree.

It's what people often don't appreciate: most genetics is about probability, not certainty.

driod i dont breed for coulors , and never had adark polecat for years ,as some were a handful to tame up and some were to wild when they got out in the open , freind has the ones you like i no were they are they are real black and quick and nip freindly lol

It's difficult to seriously debate with someone who seems to think that 'books' are the source of all evil, but i'm a bit of a stubborn bugger, so I'll try. :laugh:

'Told face to face'....yes I was.

'read it in books'....not 'books', scientific journals. These contain the methods and conclusions of the original research. In order to be published in a scientific journal the work has to be 'peer reviewed' by other scientists who might not neccessarily agree with the writer.

I didn't say, and never have, that breeding 'worker to worker' you don't get workers. I said that I couldn't see any evidence that working ability was inherited. As I stated earlier, you'd need a blind test to check that one out.

I await your next hilarious example of misunderstanding with interest. :D

well here goes stubborn bugger doesnt

really

offer

intellectual

discussion

So who has gone to the trouble of finding out that there is no working gene that told you face to face?

Scientific Journals not books? journals are day to day records of whats happened :thumbs: so what was the research they did?

In the past you have said it was futile breeding worker to worker as there was no working gene,deny it if you like but why would I mention genes? there your field :tongue2: as for the blind test theres been enough replies from members who are happy with the results of breeding this way worker to worker, breeding what suits them hands on not what is written in journal/books.

You were a teacher standing in front of a blackboard teaching youths passing on your knowledge to them :hmm: your trying to do the same on here but your out of your depth having never bred a ferret, never worked a ferret but you come on a hunting site spouting what can and cant be done to a far more experienced audience than your likely to ever have.

I have also asked you would you let myself loose to work on your trike armed with a Haynes manual or would you prefer someone with experience to be trusted to do the work :tongue2:

Y.I.S Leeview

yes you have to breed worker to worker ive line bred and in bred and been lucky enough to farm out the kits to different ferreters gamekeepers were they can be worked and tested ive judged a lot of shows over the years and seen the trends and fads come and go from silvers to light silvers dark silvers dark polecats coppers etc i once gave a very good jill ferret to a friend who writes in the earth dog running dog she wasnt a very good rabbiter he was short on ferrets for ratting i said take her and try her she was a copper but later moulted in to a black eyed white he phoned me to say what a ferret on the rats she worked rats untill she was six then he retired her he bred off her twice both times she ate her kits leaving two alvive he works these to rats mainly one of the jills is a copper and just like her mother she loves the rats i have to go to an out cross but i choose ferrets what i like in a ferret good temperment nice strong body one that will stay with a rabbit i dont want to be digging holes every ware a dog or a ferret is there to please you and no one else you look at the ferrets at shows and i would like to think that they would work i susspose some would but to what degree i dont know cheers

'I await your next hilarious example of misunderstanding with interest. :D'Scientific Journals not books? journals are day to day records of whats happened :thumbs:
Yep.Another blinder. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

YES absolute blinder :clapper: that was your quote "not books scientific journals" I queried

once again selecting what you want to reply to

Y.I.S Leeview

i wrote at the start to here about tales of worker and silly show ferets and see the diffrence , please keep it real , truthuly if you havent worked themand tried the pets from the workers ive been brought up with very hard to give comments apart from hearsay were i stay its not hearsay its real , so keep it real guys ,

Left this post on page 2 or 3 i think, i knew it would end up a calling game, lol..... chill guys, no one has even mentioned the real reason of a good working ferret...

Depth......., shallow workers and no warren to deep workers. These sort the men out from the boys.... shallow 12 ft, clear out..... deep in to the obis, different air preasure, temperature, smell, etc......A ferret what leaves the locator far behind and clears 30ft plus stop ends, is a true worker and has the balls of steel......thats just aquick summary...... i only have 1 ferret that will do this out of all my workers... And i have an ideal warren to back the theory up....

wow....

serious debatings going on here...

sure it isn't parliament ?

The original topic of pets / working stock has since been

chastised to the point of test tube genetics concerning

two headed ferrets that scare rabbits to death with a sideways glance, as there so well bred...

apparently....

If Whin is still interested,

My ferrets are desexed, so there's no breeding...

There's too many bred anyway all over the world for all the wrong reasons.

This is one other reason for the likes of Ferret shelters

being far more common.

I'll also add that the mystic that seems to follow

regarding the ultimate breeds/workers of ferrets..

Well it contains a little too much snake oil to be believed

for the most part.

In closing,

Good husbandry & clean conditions will produce excellent

ferrets for either working or pets, if you really have the need to breed.

Same as dogs, cats, cows, lemmings ffs even sloths lol

There just animals... :yes:

Cheers,

Shaun

Edited by Downunder_Sthn_Ferreter