irish wolfhounds

1 hour ago, chartpolski said:

If I didn't have a deer x pup on at the moment, I'd have tried one of these just for the fun of it ! ? !

Cheers.

I used to joke that the "Doxhope head " was the result of a borzoi being added to the deerhound  line at some point, I'm sure it wasn't though !

Cheers.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Jade now 18mth 29" to shoulder, couple bunnies under her belt, next season will tell the tale..

? Jade no 13 weeks, nice temperament and looks well (if I say so myself), jury still out for long time to see how useful she will be.

The black dog is him.

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

I used to joke that the "Doxhope head " was the result of a borzoi being added to the deerhound  line at some point, I'm sure it wasn't though !

Cheers.

I'm sure I read that borzoi was added to some deerhound strains many years ago?

3 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Na bill kept records of everythjng, or maybe it was his ole man, but one them was meticulous I’m sure with there records, what a guy to chat with, a font of knowledge ?

I know, mate, I had a chat with Bill before I got my deer x grey, Lima, as he bred her sire; Doxhope Knights Errant, that's also the grandsire to my pup Nancy ?

Cheers.

4 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

See what you mean tho, some them Dogs from few years back when they was still at it themselves had heads. I had a 3/4 grey 1/4 deerhound bred by lad called asha used be on here an it turned into a 33 inch monster with a big old head on him ? gentlest dog I ever met with folk he knew ?

I remember meeting Asha some years back, up at Jedforest Hunt. He had a deer/grey with him and a pure deerhound pup.

I like the Doxhope blood, because they were workers, but they are getting hard to find now, and the blood is getting diluted.

I wish I had taken pups from my old bitch.

Cheers.

• 4 weeks later...
On 20/03/2022 at 18:10, chartpolski said:

I like the Doxhope blood, because they were workers, but they are getting hard to find now, and the blood is getting diluted.

Cheers.

Charts.... "IF" You had taken a litter off your old bitch what do you think you would of covered her with ? 

7 minutes ago, breeze said:

Charts.... "IF" You had taken a litter off your old bitch what do you think you would of covered her with ? 

I think I'd of went for a big non-ped Whippet/Greyhound scratch dog.

These days it's "on & off" ; no hanging about with a dog being towed around a field for five or six minutes.

So, something with speed to spare ! ? !

Cheers.

• Like 3
On 20/03/2022 at 18:10, chartpolski said:

I remember meeting Asha some years back, up at Jedforest Hunt. He had a deer/grey with him and a pure deerhound pup.

Cheers.

My mate has a deer x grey out of doxhope I believe. She is a top bitch has worked  all types of deer in UK. 

42 minutes ago, BobDown said:

My mate has a deer x grey out of doxhope I believe. She is a top bitch has worked  all types of deer in UK. 

I may be mistaken, but I thought my old bitch Lima was from the last litter sired by Doxhope Knights Errant, almost 13 years ago.

My pup , Nancy, has a great grandsire, Cookland Bronson, that was out of two Doxhope dogs.

I think the Doxhope blood is very diluted know, which is why I regret not taking a litter from Lima.

Cheers.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, chartpolski said:

These days it's "on & off" ; no hanging about with a dog being towed around a field for five or six minutes.

Cheers.

deer grey whippet grey speed to spare ?

only a few runs a season will go 6 mins plus and some land you will hit them a lot more than others 

9 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

only a few runs a season will go 6 mins plus and some land you will hit them a lot more than others 

I'm talking about the theoretical  sire having "speed to spare" ?

Ive ran hares for well over 50 years, with various crosses and pures, on various continents, but I appreciate and welcome your advice and input ??

Cheers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
3 hours ago, chartpolski said:

Cheers.

1 hour ago, mC HULL said:

53 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

I'm talking about the theoretical  sire having "speed to spare" ?

Ive ran hares for well over 50 years, with various crosses and pures, on various continents, but I appreciate and welcome your advice and input ??

Cheers.

You were on to a loser since the beginning, charts.

As I've said several times on here, there are some so blind that they WON'T see.

? ?

• Haha 1
10 minutes ago, shaaark said:

You were on to a loser since the beginning, charts.

As I've said several times on here, there are some so blind that they WON'T see.

? ?

I thought it was self evident I meant the theoretical sire would have "speed to spare".

But never mind, he's not a bad lad, just a bit misguided ??

Cheers.

Edited by chartpolski
  • Haha 1
28 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

I thought it was self evident I meant the theoretical sire would have "speed to spare".

But never mind, he's not a bad lad, just a bit misguided ??

Cheers.

Up to you if you still want to persevere with his 'education' charts.  BUT, I really do think it will be fruitless.  ?

He's been convinced, or someone else has put into his head, that saluki/coursing breds are the only dogs that can catch hares.

And, as a few people on here have said, myself included, if you want a dog that will catch a hare after being dragged around several acres, for 4, 5 or 6 minutes, before it makes a catch, SHAME, that hare has been outstaminered, and nothing else.  May as well get a couple of beagles or harriers.

Lol

Edited by shaaark
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1