irish wolfhounds

On 20/06/2020 at 11:44, sandymere said:

Looking at old pics we see dogs from the size of a whippet to the size of a smallish Deerhound in both rough and smooth all just called greyhounds, the idea if Deerhounds, whippets and greyhounds being different is a modern idea. There were local variations in type to suit ground and game but no kennel club or idea of pure breeds.

As to tales of massive wolfhounds I'm not sure a massive sighthound for wolves has much other than imagination of later writers to support the idea. Are not dogs bred to run deer not ideal to run wolves?  It we take  modern sight hounds used to run wolves they aren't giants, working Borzoi, Tazi, Sloughis etc aren't massive. They may well have been massive dogs that could get stuck in at the end of a course on boar and wolf and used as war/guard dogs but would likely be mastiff types rather than sighthounds. Certainly early depictions of sighhounds show a small to medium sized dog.

ps The last wolf taken in the UK, shot by hunted by my old man

post-2025-0-26841700-1393244001_thumb.jpgpost-2025-0-44683900-1468576403_thumb.jpgpost-2025-0-92284200-1468576768_thumb.jpgpost-2025-0-55071200-1468576847_thumb.jpg

Edited by jukel123

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Jade now 18mth 29" to shoulder, couple bunnies under her belt, next season will tell the tale..

? Jade no 13 weeks, nice temperament and looks well (if I say so myself), jury still out for long time to see how useful she will be.

The black dog is him.

Posted Images

I have a wolfhound greyhound deerhound greyhound hes 29.5 inches its I went for him because wolfhounds give a bit more nose to the mix but my bloke is very much a point and shoot type, dam quick dog with good finish just have to rely on the other dog to get them moving first.

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, stevemac said:

I have a wolfhound greyhound deerhound greyhound hes 29.5 inches its I went for him because wolfhounds give a bit more nose to the mix but my bloke is very much a point and shoot type, dam quick dog with good finish just have to rely on the other dog to get them moving first.

Sounds like a good handy cross ,never thought that the wolfhound would have added nose to the mix, but if he suits your needs thats all that counts, any chance you good put up a pic, be nice to see him. atb.

On 07/03/2022 at 08:55, stevemac said:

Love to see a photo cobber.

What do you use him on?

Edited by jukel123
  • Haha 1
On 16/06/2020 at 08:47, pollypocket said:

Been there before, happened once with lurchers in trailer and they travelled all season together never any bother and lost good hound at mark one day...

Years ago there was a pure pit on one of the sites, it killed every male dog and left the females.

On 19/03/2022 at 14:37, gnipper said:

If anyone fancies a punt on a odd breed I know someone who has a couple of borzoi x deerhound dog pups to home.

If I didn't have a deer x pup on at the moment, I'd have tried one of these just for the fun of it ! ? !

Cheers.

• Like 1