irish wolfhounds

34 minutes ago, eastcoast said:

If the huge Irish hounds did exist was the massive size desirable in hounds possibly used in pursuit of the Irish elk rather than the wolf?

I very much doubt that, the Irish Elk was around the size of a Moose and was around at least 7000 year ago. 

• Like 1

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Jade now 18mth 29" to shoulder, couple bunnies under her belt, next season will tell the tale..

? Jade no 13 weeks, nice temperament and looks well (if I say so myself), jury still out for long time to see how useful she will be.

The black dog is him.

Posted Images

21 minutes ago, Aussie Whip said:

I was told  Red wolf blood is in the catahoula and American bulldog,I wouldn't doubt it ,my am bulldog was very human aggressive from 3 months and on a walk would try to track and hunt people.

I've seen this behaviour in dogs with dingo blood,just my observation.

interesting as its thought this is likely hows dogs developed from wolves in the first place.

Newsome’s 2014 study of a dingo population in Australia’s Tanami Desert showed that the wild dogs’ habit of dining almost exclusively on junk food at a waste management facility had made them fat and less aggressive. They were also more likely to mate with local dogs and had become “cheeky,” says Newsome, daring to run between his legs as he set out traps for them. Most intriguingly, the dumpster dingoes’ population formed a genetic cluster distinct from all other dingoes—indicating that they were becoming genetically isolated, a key step in forming a new species.

from which is interesting reading.

ps

On Ederachillis’ shore
The grey wolf lies in wait-
Woe to the broken door,
Woe to the loosened gate,
And the groping wretch whom sleety fogs
On the trackless moor belate.
The lean and hungry wolf,
With his fangs so sharp and white,
His starveling body pinched
By the frost of a northern night,
And his pitiless eyes that scare the dark
With their green and threatening light.
[…]
He climeth the guarding dyke,
He leapeth the hurdle bars,
He steals the sheep from the pen,
And the fish from the boat-house spars,
And he digs the dead from out of the sod,
And gnaws them under the stars.
[…]
Thus every grave we dug
The hungry wolf uptore,
And every morn the sod
Was strewn with bones and gore:
Our mother-earth had denied us rest
On Ederchaillis’ shore
— The Book of Highland Minstrelsy, 1846, pp. 256-258
Edited by sandymere
  • Like 3
1 hour ago, Greb147 said:

I very much doubt that, the Irish Elk was around the size of a Moose and was around at least 7000 year ago. 

So highly improbable. However, was the 1st litter of great Irish hounds not out of the giant Finbar McCool"s aunt who was lined during her temporary transformation into a dog? Anything was possible in ancient Ireland. 

• Haha 3

A friend of mine had a "pet" dingo in Melbourne.

Completely untrustworthy and untrainable. It couldn't be let of the lead, and when left in the yard, it would dig under the fence and run off, so had to be kept on a chain.

We took it to an isolated beach along the Great Ocean Road to give it a bit free running.......it took us hours to get it back.

Certainly not to be recommended as a pet, in pure or cross bred form !

Cheers.

Managed to open an old photobucket account and find a couple of pics of the dingo;

IMG_1249.JPG.4dd577adff025fe716c4606695b415d5.JPG

IMG_1250.JPG.237aa972397b9ca011f09ab8d87402e4.JPG

Cheers.

Edited by chartpolski
  • Like 7
2 hours ago, chartpolski said:

A friend of mine had a "pet" dingo in Melbourne.

Completely untrustworthy and untrainable. It couldn't be let of the lead, and when left in the yard, it would dig under the fence and run off, so had to be kept on a chain.

We took it to an isolated beach along the Great Ocean Road to give it a bit free running.......it took us hours to get it back.

Cheers.

Managed to open an old photobucket account and find a couple of pics of the dingo;

IMG_1249.JPG.4dd577adff025fe716c4606695b415d5.JPG

IMG_1250.JPG.237aa972397b9ca011f09ab8d87402e4.JPG

Cheers.

Fecking thing pointless in this day an age

• Like 1
9 hours ago, chartpolski said:

I think when crossing them into domestic dogs the wild, anti human thing remains,even Aus cattle dogs retain a deep distrust of anyone apart from their owners and are keen to bite.

7 hours ago, Black neck said:

Fecking thing pointless in this day an age

?

• Like 2
16 hours ago, eastcoast said:

So highly improbable. However, was the 1st litter of great Irish hounds not out of the giant Finbar McCool"s aunt who was lined during her temporary transformation into a dog? Anything was possible in ancient Ireland. 

Now now east coast the same can be said for across the water, they have their own myths the like of Jolly old king George and the dragons and what not.?

• Haha 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Before the ban there was a coursing club in Somerset, a woman from Coventry regerly brought down a pair of wolfhounds to the meets. They was very keen when a hare got up , pulling her over, and in to a ditch full of water one time , but the were way to slow

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
Just now, mush said:

Before the ban there was a coursing club in Somerset, a woman from Coventry regerly brought down a pair of wolfhounds to the meets. They was very keen when a hare got up , pulling her over, and in to a ditch full of water one time , but the were way to slow

I was out years ago an someone was exercising pair in a field slow and took quarter of the field to turn in. 

On the dingo subject didn't that barefoot bushman have some pures as pets think they were kept in a run though. 

8 hours ago, forest of dean redneck said:

I was out years ago an someone was exercising pair in a field slow and took quarter of the field to turn in. 

On the dingo subject didn't that barefoot bushman have some pures as pets think they were kept in a run though. 

Anyone that walks around the bush barefoot over here is a total fwit, lol.Why get a wild animal and keep it in a cage for your own amusement? Crocodile Dundee-like characters died out in the 90's.

Edited by Aussie Whip
1 hour ago, Aussie Whip said:

Anyone that walks around the bush barefoot over here is a total fwit, lol.Why get a wild animal and keep it in a cage for your own amusement? Crocodile Dundee-like characters died out in the 90's.

Fair dinkum

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, Aussie Whip said:

I came to that conclusion when he cooked an ate a rat on one of his TV shows, preffered les hidden the ex oz army fella he was interesting fella?

• Like 1