irish wolfhounds

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Jade now 18mth 29" to shoulder, couple bunnies under her belt, next season will tell the tale..

? Jade no 13 weeks, nice temperament and looks well (if I say so myself), jury still out for long time to see how useful she will be.

The black dog is him.

Posted Images

8 hours ago, pollypocket said:

Pollypocket is nickname of terrier I owned at time i made account. as snowflakes would say " how dare you assume my gender"

Seamus is my proper name hunting and owned lurchers since 11years old, 6ft 1" and around 16 1/2 stone  and not one for shows.

you need to work on the old physic abilities ?

I was referring to the video .......

• Haha 1
11 hours ago, sandymere said:

No way to know for sure but they look like modern wolfhound crosses, I imagine that the the original wolfhounds taken over and used in the creation of the stag hounds/coyote dogs etc in the USA could well have been the original wolf hounds rather than the modern recreation. Its thought that they were about the size of a modern greyhound so basically a very different animal although large for the time.

I think working dogs develop into the right size for the job if you select the best each generation.Giant dogs are usually too big, heavy,clumsy and unhealthy to be much good at hunting.I've noticed a few Mastiff/dane pig hunting lines where the original dogs were over 70kg and after 20 or more years have developed into  more useful 35 to 40kg animals.As you say, the old dogs were the real deal and not that large.

Edited by Aussie Whip
  • Like 2
3 hours ago, pollypocket said:

Couple better pics, Jade I took finest pup in litter some took a lot to wolfhound.

IMG_20200616_200929159.jpg

IMG_20200616_200930714.jpg

was she the smallest bitch then, meaning if other took to the wolfhound , they  might bigger than her then.?

4 minutes ago, bird said:

was she the smallest bitch then, meaning if other took to the wolfhound , they  might bigger than her then.?

Yes, rest had more of a wolfhound confirmation to them as in very long and flat backed, thicker set front shoulders with strong head.  I would normally pick racy pup from a heavy type straight cross litter or heavy pup from 3/4 litter just my preference.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, pollypocket said:

Yes, rest had more of a wolfhound confirmation to them as in very long and flat backed, thicker set front shoulders with strong head.  I would normally pick racy pup from a heavy type straight cross litter or heavy pup from 3/4 litter just my preference.

you might do  ok with her, he bit food for thought , i was going to send to Aussie whip  , e spoke of big type dogs  regards work etc,now from what  Dan on here used say from America , who used hunt yotes with his stag hounds. He said  85-100lb was good weight for his stags  , he did have big fawn bitch knocking 90 odd lb , that was good throat dog ,  fast and plenty of guts for the job. his dogs were very old line greyhoundx deerhound , with drop of bulldog apbt ,that  bred   quite true in size , in temp . So unless  the wolfhound was used in pig dogs where there big heavy size came in handy, carnt see wolfhound x much use to catch fast game, plus the temp of few wolfhounds lacked bit of guts, if the going got bit tough, from what few pig hunters have said on Oz site , they why they prefer the  mastiff , ebt, in there pig dogs  bit more grit in them.?

4 minutes ago, bird said:

you might do  ok with her, he bit food for thought , i was going to send to Aussie whip  , e spoke of big type dogs  regards work etc,now from what  Dan on here used say from America , who used hunt yotes with his stag hounds. He said   85-100lb was good weight for his stags  , he did have big fawn bitch knocking 90 odd lb , that was good throat dog ,  fast and plenty of guts for the job. his dogs were very old line greyhoundx deerhound , with drop of bulldog apbt ,that  bred   quite true in size , in temp . So unless  the wolfhound was used in pig dogs where there big heavy size came in handy, carnt see wolfhound x much use to catch fast game, plus the temp of few wolfhounds lacked bit of guts, if the going got bit tough, from what few pig hunters have said on Oz site , they why they prefer the  mastiff , ebt, in there pig dogs  bit more grit in them.?

Shes here now and if nothing else it will satisfy my curiosity....

we had one wolfhound bitch and she was as hard as any lurcher and power to kill any animal from a burrow maybe she was a fluke but honestly dont think many if any owners of wolfhounds  graft any of them even on hares or rabbits.

Only we actually gave them a bit of work when we had them I would find it hard to commit to such a line of lurcher.

I have had and seen many a bull, collie, deerhound, wheaton, cross all jack at fox although the probability/percentage factor taken into account would def favour the Wheaton or Bull for success rate as fox dogs...

As for finding the perfect lurcher "his mothers not even born yet".

• Like 3

Don’t know what people are struggling to understand, the mans had wolfhound types in the past, he liked them so he’s got another one.

With everyone on here’s superior knowledge on what makes the perfect running dog im surprised there’s any tackle left for the rest of us to run.

Edited by Shadow100
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2
5 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Folk on here will tell you, all claims the dales rabbits were easy to knock over by van full on here an I had an open invite up for years when I had me ole land, few folk made the journey an the few that made it a few times are all still mates, but like I said out of all the claims, I can count on both hands the amount that actually come an brought a dog ? i don’t claim to have nowt special but back then I deffo had the land an bunnies to let other test there claim ?

You asked me up about 7 or 8 years ago. But, like I told you at the time, I've never really been competetive when it comes to who has 'the better dog.'

I appreciated the invite though. But a lot of people just aren't into competition with their dogs. As long as a dog keeps it's owner happy, then that's it really ?

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Folk on here will tell you, all claims the dales rabbits were easy to knock over by van full on here an I had an open invite up for years when I had me ole land, few folk made the journey an the few that made it a few times are all still mates, but like I said out of all the claims, I can count on both hands the amount that actually come an brought a dog ? i don’t claim to have nowt special but back then I deffo had the land an bunnies to let other test there claim ?

Mine can't catch 1 in a fone box full o beans 

I'll still turn up wi 1 of the twats tho

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, shaaark said:

You asked me up about 7 or 8 years ago. But, like I told you at the time, I've never really been competetive when it comes to who has 'the better dog.'

I appreciated the invite though. But a lot of people just aren't into competition with their dogs. As long as a dog keeps it's owner happy, then that's it really ?

its not competition furg just a stroll round

• Like 1