irish wolfhounds

hi, i might be clouching at straws here but , does anyone work or have worked irish wolfhounds . i know similer breeds like the deerhound are quite populer but ive never heard of a wolf hound beeing worked for coursing etc . preban or otherwise. thanks.

nathgoon

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Jade now 18mth 29" to shoulder, couple bunnies under her belt, next season will tell the tale..

? Jade no 13 weeks, nice temperament and looks well (if I say so myself), jury still out for long time to see how useful she will be.

The black dog is him.

Posted Images

hi, i might be clouching at straws here but , does anyone work or have worked irish wolfhounds . i know similer breeds like the deerhound are quite populer but ive never heard of a wolf hound beeing worked for coursing etc . preban or otherwise. thanks.

nathgoon

Wolfhound blood has been used in the creation of certain boar dogs in Oz and "perhaps" in coyote lines from what I have read but I can't imagine a modern day wolfhound could catch any British quarry, too slow, awkward and big..............

• Like 1
  • 10 years later...

An old topic, but here goes..

Brother of mine has had 5 of these beasts over the years and as he and i both hunt we used them and to be honest 3 of them would make you think about using them in fact one bitch in particular had been very game as we do lot of terrier and fox work, literally one bite and it was over,,,and plenty of local folks witnessed them on lamp at rabbits and hares (preban of course).

but other 2 would hardly put tooth into a bunny (i've also had lurchers like this).

Reason I bring it up and looking at old threads is because friend of mine has bred a full wolfhound over a greyhound bitch and curiosity got the better of me and I picked smallest  finest bitch (still strong). 

could be wasting my time, but its my time and by some slight miracle she has any fire wheaten cross back over her....

• Like 6
43 minutes ago, sandymere said:

Why? A dog created for dog shows at the turn of the century , that was never a working dog. 

Well said Sandy , I was always lead to believe that the wolfhound was a Phoenix breed bred to replicate the extinct great Celtic hound . 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, sandymere said:

Why? A dog created for dog shows at the turn of the century , that was never a working dog. 

The why has been answered in my first statement.origin of the breed isn't a concern, it's more out of personal interest.. suppose other point is when we sourced full wolfhounds before we would steer clear of heavy giant types..

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, pollypocket said:

The why has been answered in my first statement.origin of the breed isn't a concern, it's more out of personal interest.. suppose other point is when we sourced full wolfhounds before we would steer clear of heavy giant types..

thats the prob, finding good type thats not over big, plus having guts in it, dont for get the dogs in Oz and America  that were Roo dogs and Yote dogs, had other breeds in the mix, the yotes had bull dog = apbt in them as well. i used see a  bloke and his mrs walk 3 of them in the 80s , when i walked my bull breeds , i had at the time few bull breeds who kick off with any dog if shove came to push, one i had was  a fawn bull mastiff bitch  85 lb, very strong had to watch her with other dogs. this one day the 3 wolfhounds were loose , they came running over , there big daft lumbering  things , came sniffing round my bitch , she was ready to kick off with them , but had her on the lead , thet kept away , which is good. but they were slow not much life in them, this bitch i had got more energy in her than them dogs,  so that dont say lot for the wolfhound breed , i came out of bullmastiffs , because of the health probs , and went on to lurchers  i wanted a healthy type dog, not one thats going to die at 7-8 year old like them wolf hounds , bullmastiffs, aint that much better really being honest , might live few more years thats about it .

• Like 6
12 minutes ago, Balaur said:

Probably ate the dog ?

Never know with them weegie jocks ?

15 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Back in late 70s early up until 85is my ole man had a wolfhound/deerhound/grey was a big dog that kept us fed back then when things where tight, an like iv said before, we was quite chubby kids so couldn’t have been that shit but I was too young too remember ?

I may be wrong but I seem to remember your G telling me about either your dad's or his dad's deerhoundy dogs, years ago now. Sounded handy tbh ;)

20 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Back in late 70s early up until 85is my ole man had a wolfhound/deerhound/grey was a big dog that kept us fed back then when things where tight, an like iv said before, we was quite chubby kids so couldn’t have been that shit but I was too young too remember ?

same again mate , with your dads dog,it had other breeds in the mix, just like the yank and Oz dogs  ive said on my thread .!

• Like 1

As I have said before I have only seen a limited number of lurchers here in Dixie.I do know someone who was to impatient to wait on a good lurcher and bought 2 KC purebred wolfhounds.They could run down a coyote but we're scared to do anything else. 

• Like 1